Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
LOL. There has never, in the history of the world, been a black man in a position of power? Really?
He is not in a position of power, unless he is elected. My post referred to the nomination of Obama as a milestone in America's progress toward equal OPPORTUNITY for all.

It's up to Obama to prove that he is the better candidate -- and we all should be proud, as Americans, that he has the chance. I know I am. Call me names for that, if you wish -- it does not diminish in the slightest the historic achievement which this country has witnessed.

Moderator cut: fixed the problem

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-28-2008 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack from the quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
He is not in a position of power, unless he is elected....
God forbid.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
I was referencing Ocexpo thinking Alexus was female. It is male and reminds me of the youtube guy "leave barack alone!!".

I am female. And not bitter.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
It's 1:35 am here in the Midwest, and just a few hours ago, a history-making moment occurred---a member of a minority group was nominted by a major political party to run in the US General election to determine the next President of the United States...

Let's dissect the words 'United States' for a moment, in this context---I am a 50-something black male...I am also a supporter of Sen. Obama, and as such, will be casting my vote for him come November...being a supporter of his does not make me a zombie, nor clueless, nor a cultist, nor any other of the somewhat shocking and venomous labels being bandied about with reckless abandon both here on City Data and elsewhere...I am a veteran of the Armed Forces, having served in the US Army (infantry) in the early 70's post-Vietnam era...and at the end of the day, I am still, first and foremost, a citizen of the United States...that, to me, means this---I fully intend to vote for Mr Obama, and I will hold out hope that he may win...my parents and grandparents have all passed on, and one of ALL of their dreams was to one day see a black man as President...however, if Obama does NOT win, I am still willing to give Sen. McCain a fighting chance, because that's the way our country's political system works, as I was taught in school so many moons ago...

Let me state that again...I am voting for Sen. Obama, but in the event that he does not win the election, then I will applaud Sen McCain on HIS victory, and hope that HE will be able to move the country forward...I'm not gonna waste time pissing and moaning and crying about 'the Man keeping me down' and generally making a loud, violent ass of myself, as was theoretically asked about in a former thread (I believe the subject was 'Will Blacks Riot If Obama Doesn't Win?'---that particular question had about as much sense as God gave a banjo-playing, tuxedo-wearing orangutan to sell fried pies from the back of a rusty pickup truck)...

But I digress---as I stated earlier, at the end of the day, I am still a citizen of the United States Of America, and I believe in the political process, whether my candidate wins or not...I just shake my head in utter disbelief at all the venom and vitriol that has been flying out of the mouths (and off the PC keyboards) of my fellow 'Obamites', the 'Clintonistas', and the 'McCainiacs'...folks, truth be told, nothing is gonna get solved by calling Sen McCain a 'doddering old fool with a rich android wife', saying that Sen. Obama is 'some sort of ill-defined mongrel mix of races with a terrorist's surname' or calling Sen. Clinton a 'brass-balled, power-hungry, narcissistic biaiatch'...at some point in all of this, all sides have thrown all kinds of insults and brickbats at each other, and as the election approaches, it's getting kinda lame...

I'm not gonna suggest that we all join hands and sing 'Kum-Ba-Ya'...that song annoys the bloody hell outta me LOL, and it would be unrealistic to think it would happen...what I DO wish is that everybody would (in the words of the late Richard Pryor) "have a coke and a smile and shut the f*&k up!", and remember that we all live, whether it's peachy or not, in the United States...that's a great word---'United'...can't we all just unite behind WHOMEVER wins the election and move forward as ONE nation, instead of wallowing in 6th-grade playground name-calling? Is that so unbelievable a request to make?
Bolding mine.

Cap, as usual, great post!

However, your ,"" we all live, whether it's peachy or not, in the United States...that's a great word---'United'...can't we all just unite behind WHOMEVER wins the election and move forward as ONE"""

The party of McCain has done more to divide this country than any other in history. To fall in line behind him is akin to treason since his bushco/Rove policies will be more of the same. Being elected will not make him or his policies right.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Bolding mine.

Cap, as usual, great post!

However, your ,"" we all live, whether it's peachy or not, in the United States...that's a great word---'United'...can't we all just unite behind WHOMEVER wins the election and move forward as ONE"""

The party of McCain has done more to divide this country than any other in history. To fall in line behind him is akin to treason since his bushco/Rove policies will be more of the same. Being elected will not make him or his policies right.
The Repubs have definitely been divisive, but our party has been no better.
Look at the devisiveness Obama created with Hillary in the primary. While the delegates at the convention think all ill feelings have been put aside and we are united behind Obama, I can tell you, that just isn't the case.

Obama HAS YET to win over the hearts and minds of MANY Hillary supporters. No amount of convention rhetoric will change that. I wouldn't vote for the sham that is Obama, if he were the last man on earth. MANY feel the same.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 AM

503 posts, read 937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Look at the devisiveness Obama created with Hillary in the primary. While the delegates at the convention think all ill feelings have been put aside and we are united behind Obama, I can tell you, that just isn't the case.

Obama HAS YET to win over the hearts and minds of MANY Hillary supporters. No amount of convention rhetoric will change that. I wouldn't vote for the sham that is Obama, if he were the last man on earth. MANY feel the same.

All of this just goes to show that dems. follow a person and not ideas. VERY UNAMERICAN.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

I think most of these "Hilary" supporters who now vow to vote for McCain were really repugs anyway... and certainly are now.
They are creating the divide.....but I'm talking about a bigger issue...the division in the whole country....

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
It's only a half of a historic moment because only the black half of his nomination is remarkable.

The white half is "same old same old" right?

God forbid it should be excitement based on his beneficial policies and his impressive record.

Oh, but wait. Those don't exist.

People who vote for Obama solely because he's "black" ("because America is ready for a black president") are just as racist as those who vote for McCain solely because he's white.
most people are NOT voting for him because he's black. We're voting for him because he's going to make a fabulous president.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM

503 posts, read 937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
most people are NOT voting for him because he's black. We're voting for him because he's going to make a fabulous president.

So most people are racist; wow, you are sad

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is an INCREDIBLE moment in the history of this country, a country that has a very, very shameful past in its treatment of black people. This is a great day, a great milestone.

Nothing that the racist among you can do about it either except cast your meaningless vote for pathetic mcCain in the losing effort.

Obama claims historic presidential nomination - The conventions - MSNBC.com
Why are they virtually tied in most polls if Messiah Obama apparently already has the election wrapped up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections