Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You forgot to include Michelles admitted hatred for America.

There will be equality in the world when people stop posting with brand names of a person. Black president or just "a president" !!

White president or black president or half and half. Nope. All I hear is "black" president.....and he ain't even black !!
There will also be equality in the world when people realize that not having an "American" sounding name doesn't mean that they are not a true American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is an INCREDIBLE moment in the history of this country, a country that has a very, very shameful past in its treatment of black people. This is a great day, a great milestone.

Nothing that the racist among you can do about it either except cast your meaningless vote for pathetic mcCain in the losing effort.

Obama claims historic presidential nomination - The conventions - MSNBC.com
Many of us agree McCain is pathetic. And as Larry King said, anyone who uses the race issue to decide this presidential race, is simply ignorant and stupid. Its frightening people still think this way in America, and sad.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
There will also be equality in the world when people realize that not having an "American" sounding name doesn't mean that they are not a true American

What exactly is an American sounding name? Running Bear, Kowaski, Castro, Smith or Unitas? There is 5, which is "most American?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

92 posts, read 242,547 times
and yet others understood the post but hey I';ll try to make it easier for you to understand

Why can we not just be Americans instead of other labels before it

and when people say African Americans refering to blacks or people who are not white it is showing their ignorance of the world and the people who live on this planet as Africans are also white

wings I would give you a rep if I could for a good point you made earlier

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
What exactly is an American sounding name? Running Bear, Kowaski, Castro, Smith or Unitas? There is 5, which is "most American?
I am referring to the poster I referenced, who has spoken about Obama's name and how it's not American enough for President.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,561 times
Quote:
I am referring to the poster I referenced, who has spoken about Obama's name and how it's not American enough for President.
But ANY and ALL names can be and ARE American.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
But ANY and ALL names can be and ARE American.
Uhm, yes I KNOW that...but I just found it ridiculous for someone to talk about equality but then make comments about how their name is Un-American

Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Quote:
Uhm, yes I KNOW that...but I just found it ridiculous for someone to talk about equality but then make comments about how their name is Un-American
Hey, don't be too hard on him [he is a Republican, you know & is still trying to figure out what the Constitution is - duh

Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
If obama were a white-skinned man with his thin record and lack of any kind of CIC credentials, he would have been laughed out of the primaries.
Hallalujah! Praise the lawd!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Exclamation Okay...time to weigh in here

It's 1:35 am here in the Midwest, and just a few hours ago, a history-making moment occurred---a member of a minority group was nominted by a major political party to run in the US General election to determine the next President of the United States...

Let's dissect the words 'United States' for a moment, in this context---I am a 50-something black male...I am also a supporter of Sen. Obama, and as such, will be casting my vote for him come November...being a supporter of his does not make me a zombie, nor clueless, nor a cultist, nor any other of the somewhat shocking and venomous labels being bandied about with reckless abandon both here on City Data and elsewhere...I am a veteran of the Armed Forces, having served in the US Army (infantry) in the early 70's post-Vietnam era...and at the end of the day, I am still, first and foremost, a citizen of the United States...that, to me, means this---I fully intend to vote for Mr Obama, and I will hold out hope that he may win...my parents and grandparents have all passed on, and one of ALL of their dreams was to one day see a black man as President...however, if Obama does NOT win, I am still willing to give Sen. McCain a fighting chance, because that's the way our country's political system works, as I was taught in school so many moons ago...

Let me state that again...I am voting for Sen. Obama, but in the event that he does not win the election, then I will applaud Sen McCain on HIS victory, and hope that HE will be able to move the country forward...I'm not gonna waste time pissing and moaning and crying about 'the Man keeping me down' and generally making a loud, violent ass of myself, as was theoretically asked about in a former thread (I believe the subject was 'Will Blacks Riot If Obama Doesn't Win?'---that particular question had about as much sense as God gave a banjo-playing, tuxedo-wearing orangutan to sell fried pies from the back of a rusty pickup truck)...

But I digress---as I stated earlier, at the end of the day, I am still a citizen of the United States Of America, and I believe in the political process, whether my candidate wins or not...I just shake my head in utter disbelief at all the venom and vitriol that has been flying out of the mouths (and off the PC keyboards) of my fellow 'Obamites', the 'Clintonistas', and the 'McCainiacs'...folks, truth be told, nothing is gonna get solved by calling Sen McCain a 'doddering old fool with a rich android wife', saying that Sen. Obama is 'some sort of ill-defined mongrel mix of races with a terrorist's surname' or calling Sen. Clinton a 'brass-balled, power-hungry, narcissistic biaiatch'...at some point in all of this, all sides have thrown all kinds of insults and brickbats at each other, and as the election approaches, it's getting kinda lame...

I'm not gonna suggest that we all join hands and sing 'Kum-Ba-Ya'...that song annoys the bloody hell outta me LOL, and it would be unrealistic to think it would happen...what I DO wish is that everybody would (in the words of the late Richard Pryor) "have a coke and a smile and shut the f*&k up!", and remember that we all live, whether it's peachy or not, in the United States...that's a great word---'United'...can't we all just unite behind WHOMEVER wins the election and move forward as ONE nation, instead of wallowing in 6th-grade playground name-calling? Is that so unbelievable a request to make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections