Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Seems like these democrats are way too focused on the historical significance of this candidacy and are ignoring his alarmingly thin resume.
Like someone else said, this is affirmative action bearing its fruits. We've insisted on hiring and recruiting people to make up for past wrongs (as if two wrongs make a right) regardless of their qualifications, and we end up getting people unfit for their positions -- but boy, do we ever look "diverse."

Instead of looking for the best people regardless of color or sex, we keep picking people based on these superficial characteristics first. And THIS IS WHAT WE GET. Anytime someone points out how Obama is the first "black candidate," we're right back in that mindset.

I don't care if his skin is green. Is he the best person for the job? That is ALL THAT MATTERS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times
Couldn't he also be called a White man? He's just as much White as he is Black.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 PM

472 posts, read 872,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
Impressive candidate? I guess a Greek temple is pretty impressive. As far as great leader: Hitler was also a great leader in that he managed to brainwash millions of Germans into carrying out his twisted philosophy - so in that aspect I guess Obama could be called a great leader. Is he great in the sense of running this country in a competent manner? All signs point to no.

I dunno... The Bush administration convinced many Americans to invade Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist. That's pretty powerful.

It's amazing that Americans elect people to office that have the ability to influence.

BTW.. wear a white hood much?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
This is not a historical moment for black people. This is a historical moment for affirmative action. I am truly amazed at the power of affirmative action. It has spiraled so far up, that now we have an inexperienced, less-than-qualified black man being permitted to do a job - no matter how big of a screw-up he is - that should have gone to someone else.

Besides, if he gets elected, that will not stop the black community from complaining about the "man" keeping them down. They will continue with their whining using the excuse that Obama is "not really black."

Just vote McCain.
This is so true..this is not a historical moment..people are voting for Obama because they are mad. They are blinded by the fact he will bring FAILED and UNCERTAIN policies to this countries. We need someone who is sure what to do. Would you drive on the highway at 70mph with a 10 year old in the driver seat or a 40 year old?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
But why did they have to pull this stunt on stopping the roll call? It made it look too staged and kind of cheapened it. Why bring delegates to the convention if you won't let them do what they were hired to do? It wouldn't have changed the outcome, Obama would still be the nominee.
First they don't count Fl and MI, then they do with fractional votes. Then they stop the roll call.
What a weird primary season and convention.
You know the answer to that. They were afraid of letting true democracy take place. They were afraid that Hillary would have gotten too close for comfort. The appearance of unity was more important than anything else. They had to contrive a way to make it appear that he actually WON something. Having her go ahead of him at any time was unacceptable - that's why California passed in the roll call.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Couldn't he also be called a White man? He's just as much White as he is Black.
Notice I said white-skinned man.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM

365 posts, read 525,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
This post is absolute garbage. What an idiotic statement to assume that it's affirmative action whenever a black man happens to rise to the top. That's a disgusting inference. Senator Obama is an extremely impressive candidate and a great leader who will take this country back on the right path. McCain will run our economy further in a ditch and engage the US in more immoral wars.
Danford, I refused to read this OP at all. I just came on to read your post only. Great response! Gave you a rep.

Gotta go because I can't relate to such nonsense, sparing my heart...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Hillary supporter really needed a TRUE roll call vote, not one that was pre-determined in secret. This will not help him at all with those voters.

He made a mistake out of fear - fear that could she possibly win the roll call vote.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Notice I said white-skinned man.
He's neither white skinned, nor Black skinned. He's brown skinned

Old 08-27-2008, 07:01 PM

104 posts, read 180,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
I dunno... The Bush administration convinced many Americans to invade Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist. That's pretty powerful.

It's amazing that Americans elect people to office that have the ability to influence.

BTW.. wear a white hood much?
Ever heard of sarcasm? I'll spell it out for you: Hitler and Obama = brainwashing dangerous idiots. Or are you just projecting? Need that one explained as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections