Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times

Advertisements

I keep remembering Dr. King saying that, like Moses, he might not be here to get to the promise land but that someday others would. I believe that he is looking down now and saying, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, free at last."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,531,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I must disagree....

Read MLK's words again and again.....it talks about "sitting down together".

I have yet to see any of Obama or his followers promote any togetherness. Obama attended a "separatist" church for years with a 20 year mentor that preached hate toward whites. How is that remotely related to the great MLK's idea of "sitting down together"?

Obama being nominated has actually seemed to create a bigger divide in the country.....

White people saying "hell no I won't vote for a black man" and black people saying (in the words of Ludacris) "we are gonna paint the White House black".

I've seen absoultely no coming together or sitting down together from either side. Obama's "unity" message is a sham. Obama has yet to be a uniter....simply look at the way he treated Hillary supporters.

Nothing historical about any of this to me.....seems like the same tired old song, different verse maybe, but same tired old song.

Obama - The Great Divider

How many straws would you like to go with your drink?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,103 times
Quote:
I must disagree....

Read MLK's words again and again.....it talks about "sitting down together".

I have yet to see any of Obama or his followers promote any togetherness. Obama attended a "separatist" church for years with a 20 year mentor that preached hate toward whites. How is that remotely related to the great MLK's idea of "sitting down together"?

Obama being nominated has actually seemed to create a bigger divide in the country.....

White people saying "hell no I won't vote for a black man" and black people saying (in the words of Ludacris) "we are gonna paint the White House black".

I've seen absoultely no coming together or sitting down together from either side. Obama's "unity" message is a sham. Obama has yet to be a uniter....simply look at the way he treated Hillary supporters.

Nothing historical about any of this to me.....seems like the same tired old song, different verse maybe, but same tired old song.

Obama - The Great Divider
Maybe in your eyes...

The convention has been a perfect example. There are people there of all races, men & women and of different religions cheering for their beliefs. I didn't see the room split into different race groups.

I saw people of all races talking and embracing each other in celebration.

I guess how you look at it depends on what you choose to see.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times
[quote=gsupstate;5030321]I must disagree....
----------------------------------------

You would argue with a fencepost.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
[quote=KLDanford;5030982]
Quote:
I must disagree....
----------------------------------------

Nice to meet you KLfencepostDanford.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,289 times
I think tonight is a big deal. I think people of all colors have come together. I know that I felt that this morning while waiting with my adopted 6 year olds. My daughter is black we are white my son who is 6 is bi-racial. On the show was a clip of Barack and Dr. King. I ask them if the remembered when they were in preschool that I came in and read a story about Dr. King. They said they did. I reminded them that Dr. King believed that all people are the same and should be treated the same. My son asked where Dr. King was. I said he died , someone killed him because they didn't like what he was saying and trying to do. I told them that because of Dr. King and Rosa Parks and John and Bobby Kennedy and many others along the way that Barack Obama has the chance to be the fisrt black president. My daughter looked at her arm and then at Barack and said he has the same color skin as me. There was a time in our history when making that connection would mean riding in the back of the bus, drinking from a different drinking fountian or seeing signs that said Whites Only. Im proud that my daughter can see someone the same color as her possibly be the president. I'm sorry that means something to me and I think that those watching tonight while Obama gives his speach will have to think of all the people who pathed his way and iases gave their lives. As Dr. KIng said in his speach that we shouldn't judge people by their skin color but by their character. Obama gets my vote because of character his skin color is history like it or not.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What he stands for is, for the moment, secondary to what he represents: an important step in the progress of African-Americans to achieving a full share of the American Dream.

The healthiest part of the whole situation, to me, is that we can go back to partisanship and attack mode as soon as the cheers and tears die down. But we'll NEVER go back to the time when a black man couldn't aspire to the highest office in the land.

That is huge, regardless of whom you support. And it is a wonderful event for America -- an event which sets us apart, again, from all other nations.
That's well said. It is historic and definitely signifies progress in race relations.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
So should we order an Obama statue already? And what paper money bill would you like his face on?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times
[quote=gsupstate;5031240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post

Nice to meet you KLfencepostDanford.
now that's original!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections