Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:45 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I never said that all Germans look like the British, but on the genetical level they are overall similar with little differences. Some Germans can pass for British or vice versa and obviously there are differences. Germans also show much more genetical diversity than the British and Irish, which is normal, looking at their geographical location (North-Central Europe). There is a greater genetical difference between the North German group and the East German than there is between the Irish and the English. This why it has always been hard to distinguish the English from other British.
I'm still waiting......who EXACTLY are these 'native' English people that are 'different' from the 'other' Britons? I'm sorry but your posts are full of racist nonsense.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:35 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Remember the Romans were here 500 years, the Anglo-Saxons, pre 1066, less than 400 hundred years, the majority British population ( even majority in East Anglia, Boudicca`s land of the Iceni) has always dwelt here. England is a made up name as is Wales and Scotland, ( Angles, Foreigner, Scoti tribe). The North of England and South Scotland is identical, ( These were Borderers, scots-Irish who also settled the Appalachians),yet different from Norfolk. Britain is not a black/white country it is subtle, with Wales merging into Hereforshire, the same looks, same accent. The Saxon stronghold at poss max 40% is in the South East of England, actually where the rudest people are. The Dutch do not resemble the British. Never seen Dennis Bergkamp in Hemel Hempstead
Reminding you of your history which you should have known! Remember the old Anglian kingdom of Northumbria, covered northern England and Southeast Scotland, which was the result of two Germanic kingdoms uniting (Bernicia and Deira). It was also from this kingdom that many of the Anglo-Saxon missionaries who brought Christianity to Germany and Friesland came from. The Venerable Bede who is known as the "Father of English History" came from there too. This is why to this day, there is still a strong genetical similarity between those of northern England and southeast Scotland, this region has the highest frequency of red hair and blue eyes in Britain (particularly Southeast Scotland according to ScotlandDNA project in 2014 , at least 40% have red hair genes and 57% have blue eyes, 29% have green eyes, 14% have brown eyes). My paternal line is from Yorkshire and I'm a redhead with blue-green eyes, and so are two of my siblings. In the US, the Appalachians have the highest or one of the highest frequency of red-haired people in America, so it's not a coincidence. It is not subtle as you say, Offa's Dyke by the Welsh-English border also shows a genetical difference the English on one side and the Welsh on the other. This was already proven in a study done as early as 2003, when study the sequences of Y-chromosomes of English and Welsh males, the English males were shown to be identical to that of Frisian males of the northern Netherlands.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm still waiting......who EXACTLY are these 'native' English people that are 'different' from the 'other' Britons? I'm sorry but your posts are full of racist nonsense.
You are the one who is ignorant and doesn't understand anything. My posts are way above your intellectual capacity. I am as far from racism as the day is from night. You don't have to wait, you know, it's time to learn.

By the way keep up the sense of humor.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:56 PM

209 posts, read 304,459 times
That **** concern, Saxonword? are white people and this is the common, what is your problem bro?
British people look like british people, not passed for German people on average.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Remember the Romans were here 500 years, the Anglo-Saxons, pre 1066, less than 400 hundred years, the majority British population ( even majority in East Anglia, Boudicca`s land of the Iceni) has always dwelt here. England is a made up name as is Wales and Scotland, ( Angles, Foreigner, Scoti tribe). The North of England and South Scotland is identical, ( These were Borderers, scots-Irish who also settled the Appalachians),yet different from Norfolk. Britain is not a black/white country it is subtle, with Wales merging into Hereforshire, the same looks, same accent. The Saxon stronghold at poss max 40% is in the South East of England, actually where the rudest people are. The Dutch do not resemble the British. Never seen Dennis Bergkamp in Hemel Hempstead
You keep forgetting that Ancient Rome was a world super power in the days they colonized Britain. There was no need to move soldiers all the way from Italy to Pretani (Ancient Britain), rather they paid auxilliaries from Gaul and also Germans such as the Batavians from the Netherlands, some Frisians who would work for them there . You know mercenaries. No wonder, they left a very little genetic legacy which was insignificant. After Roman occupation, for a brief period, Britain went back to its Celtic tribal kingdoms. On the other hand, the Anglo-Saxons erased Celtic speech, culture, traditions from England forever, or at least most of it, though there were pockets of Celtic resistance in Wales, Cornwall, to a lesser extent the northwest. This again shows up to this day, in the genetical studies done on people from Great Britain. Ireland and most of Scotland was never occupied by Romans, those were strictly Keltic territory until the coming of the Germans.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalists View Post
That **** concern, Saxonword? are white people and this is the common, what is your problem bro?
British people look like british people, not passed for German people on average.

We all have different opinions. No need for insults!! I make my points and back it up. I am Saxonwold not Saxonword, perhaps you lack the ability to spell. All I said is that there are British people who look like Germans and vice versa, this doesn't mean that all Brits look German on average. We could say the same for Dutch people from whom my maternal blood comes from, they have their own look too, they don't look German.

Last edited by saxonwold; 06-27-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You are the one who is ignorant and doesn't understand anything. My posts are way above your intellectual capacity. I am as far from racism as the day is from night. You don't have to wait, you know, it's time to learn.

By the way keep up the sense of humor.
I'm still waiting for my answer though, you speak of indigenous British and I want to know exactly who these people are supposed to be? You have already told me that we can't count 'immigrants' (which is all Britons) so who are thee 'indigenous people exactly?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potashh View Post
I remember that in the United States I found some Americans that were in Lascaux. One was saying to the audience that paintings were made by the "Indians". Maybe they think that "Indigenous British" are some sort of Comanches.
You have no clue of what you are talking about or are just lying about Americans. For your information, the Comanche people are part of the indigenous people of what is known as the North American continent. They are not Whites, but Amerindians!!! Do you have a problem against the Comanche people or are you just a racist? The indigenous people of the British Isles and Europe are what we call White people. For your information, a good of portion of Whites/European-Americans have ancestors or are the descendants of immigrants who came from the British Isles and the rest of Northwestern Europe to settle the North American continent. For example some 30 million of Americans have full or partial Irish ancestry. So Americans will definitely have a concept of who the indigenous people of the British Isles and Europe are. Your statement was a cheap shot! Try again, next time.

Some Americans of predominantly Irish ancestry

Last edited by saxonwold; 06-28-2015 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
I don't know what study you mention, I move between Wales and Herefordshire a lot, have stood on the Dyke, Offa was a ruling Saxon King and so despised the native Brits, the earthwork which was symbolic ( I have walked it, have you ?) could not keep out a legion of rampaging sheep, recent DNA testing in Cardiff has proved their is no major difference in DNA between Western England and Wales, more between North Wales and South Wales, some south Wales DNA is linked to Iberia. Herefordshire was full of black curly haired blue eyed locals, (no blonds either side|) Welsh and West English accents mingle in the pub bar.
Final note, the Dutch I have met through my life, might at a push, and a big one, pass as a local of Surrey, or Essex but nowhere in my travels in Britain

Old 06-28-2015, 03:45 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
Mind you that girl looks Polish to me. He looks like Alex Higgins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe