Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 AM

264 posts, read 272,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Good grief, I've seen drunken hobos on the corner that couldn't even stand up that were less pathetic than this. You are either pitifully self hating, or you're a troll. It's got to be one or the other.

Assuming you're not the latter, those "bland" people you are so bored of have given the world many, many good things. Your small isles have produced some of the greatest men and women this world has ever known. You should be very proud to call them your own.
Not so fast.
If a halfwit like him wants to disassociate himself from the rest of us Brits, then I dont feel particularly inclined to stop him. Its not exactly a traumatic loss for us.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 AM

56 posts, read 75,263 times
I'm still waiting for the source of those unprofessionally painted maps on genetics that assure that swedish and irish have 100% the same genetics but danish, norwegian and swedish seem to be completely different folks as well as Germany looks like having a genetic distribution made by the allied occupation after world war II...

I'm using the ignore list too

Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
I'm still waiting for the source of those unprofessionally painted maps on genetics that assure that swedish and irish have 100% the same genetics but danish, norwegian and swedish seem to be completely different folks as well as Germany looks like having a genetic distribution made by the allied occupation after world war II...

No one ever said that Norwegian/Swedish/Danish people are 100% genetically identical to the Irish. Perhaps you lack English language comprehension skills. What was said is that the Irish cluster much closer to the Scandinavian (particularly Danish) and German (particularly North German) populations than they would to Iberians. Unprofessionally painted? That's real funny! You may use the ignore list, but don't be ignorant.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Here is a good dna cluster map.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:

I'm presuming you're talking about the map posted on the previous page which is a ydna map. It just shows that L21 is more common in Norway and Denmark than Sweden it is not done on autosomal dna. My previous post is of autosomal dna.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden are of course very close autosomally but Ireland is quite close to Norway autosomally.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 AM

[SIZE=3]European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by country - Eupedia

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]"The earliest evidence of Homo sapiens in Ireland is from ca 8,000 B.C, when it is believed he entered present day Co. Antrim from south-west Scotland, either by boat or via the land bridge still remaining as the last ice age closed and the sea levels were still rising. Throughout the Mesolithic and Neolithic periods (ca. 8,000 - 2,000 B.C) it seems probable that the inhabitants of Ireland were, as those of Britain, the descendants of those who had retreated into the Iberian, in particular, and Italic peninsulas during the last Ice Age, along with any new waves of migration from south-east Europe. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Recent advances in the extraction of Y-DNA from ancient bones have revealed predominantly haplogroup G2a in central Europe with some I2a (and one E1b sample in Spain) but no R1b during the Neolithic. (See table below for current Irish haplogroups, and ref (8)). Megalithic tombs were rare in the extreme south of Ireland; this and other archaeological differentiation suggest perhaps that the inhabitants came from a different location. Some scholars suggest from Spain, which coincides with the Milesian myth."[/SIZE]

"During the Bronze Age, if not shortly before, the first carriers of Y-DNA haplogroup R (in the form of R-M269) were reaching the Atlantic shores of Europe at the end of their centuries’, or even millennia long, trek from Anatolia and the Caucasus. One of its most frequently found subclades in Ireland, that of the SNP R-L21, is believed to have originated in mainland Western Europe ca. 2,000 B.C."
[/SIZE]

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

Genetic history of the British and the Irish people | Maciamo Hay - Academia.edu

Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
[SIZE=3]European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by country - Eupedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]"The earliest evidence of Homo sapiens in Ireland is from ca 8,000 B.C, when it is believed he entered present day Co. Antrim from south-west Scotland, either by boat or via the land bridge still remaining as the last ice age closed and the sea levels were still rising. Throughout the Mesolithic and Neolithic periods (ca. 8,000 - 2,000 B.C) it seems probable that the inhabitants of Ireland were, as those of Britain, the descendants of those who had retreated into the Iberian, in particular, and Italic peninsulas during the last Ice Age, along with any new waves of migration from south-east Europe. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Recent advances in the extraction of Y-DNA from ancient bones have revealed predominantly haplogroup G2a in central Europe with some I2a (and one E1b sample in Spain) but no R1b during the Neolithic. (See table below for current Irish haplogroups, and ref (8)). Megalithic tombs were rare in the extreme south of Ireland; this and other archaeological differentiation suggest perhaps that the inhabitants came from a different location. Some scholars suggest from Spain, which coincides with the Milesian myth."[/SIZE]

"During the Bronze Age, if not shortly before, the first carriers of Y-DNA haplogroup R (in the form of R-M269) were reaching the Atlantic shores of Europe at the end of their centuries’, or even millennia long, trek from Anatolia and the Caucasus. One of its most frequently found subclades in Ireland, that of the SNP R-L21, is believed to have originated in mainland Western Europe ca. 2,000 B.C."
[/SIZE]

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

Genetic history of the British and the Irish people | Maciamo Hay - Academia.edu
I've posted in the other thread and it is applicable to here as well. What ydna shows and what autosomal dna shows needs to be understood.

If you possibly can join a genetics forum you would learn alot. Some are better than others.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:19 AM

"Autosomal studies are much more reliable for showing the relationships between existing populations but do not offer the possibilities for unraveling their histories in the same way as mtDNA and NRY DNA studies promise, despite their many complications."

Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
"Autosomal studies are much more reliable for showing the relationships between existing populations but do not offer the possibilities for unraveling their histories in the same way as mtDNA and NRY DNA studies promise, despite their many complications."
They do indeed. There are various calculators that can pick up all sorts of ancient traits using your autosomal dna. This is why they know that West Asian is lacking in the Basque whereas it is present in most other European populations. This is why they can measure ANE in modern populations.

Get your dna done by 23andMe or FTDNA and upload to Gedmatch and you will understand the subject so much better. You will be amazed at what you learn. You can also see what populations you are closest to.

You will be hooked then.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
They do indeed. There are various calculators that can pick up all sorts of ancient traits using your autosomal dna. This is why they know that West Asian is lacking in the Basque whereas it is present in most other European populations. This is why they can measure ANE in modern populations.

Get your dna done by 23andMe or FTDNA and upload to Gedmatch and you will understand the subject so much better. You will be amazed at what you learn. You can also see what populations you are closest to.

You will be hooked then.
Ydna is good for tracing your father's line. I've done this as well with FTDNA. Most Irish ydna came via Britain and before that Northern France. There is some R1a and I in Ireland as well as R1b. The vast majority of Irishmen are some form of R1b-L21 but all test further down the L21 tree. There is some other clades of R1b in Ireland as well. My paternal line is M222 and quite a few subclades down the M222 tree.

They can trace migratory routes using ydna but they have to use autosomal dna to show how close populations are to each other. I've also had the full sequence testing done on my mtdna. I've done the whole kit and caboodle.

This is why I know what autosomal dna can show and why I know what populations cluster together. I've seen loads of Irish results and know the populations most similar to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe