Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirgan misifus View Post
The different Cetic or Keltic languages in Hispania, Galia, Germania, Illiria, Helvetia, Britannia, Hivernia, Dacia, Panonia at a large etcetera had a common nexus but were very different. They had a common source, probably Hallstat, and was Indoeuropean. In Hispania there are older writings, 2000 years old bronze plates written in Keltic-Iberian, Iberian written with Greek alphabet.

But if there's a relation between R1b and Indoeropean languages, how come Basques, Catalans, with a similar concentration of R1b than Wales and Ireland, did a speak a non-Indoeropean language? Basque and Iberians, and also Aquitanian in France?

It seems there was acculturation with local populations that later vanished.
Basques for whatever reason retained their language but all other R1b populations are Indo-European speakers.

There is a discussion about it on other forums.

I'm not sure you can put in links to other forums here.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:16 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Now I remember I read it a long time ago.
Basque speakers are not "historical basques", as Romans displaced "Vascones" from the Basque country...they probably killed them all... they were like that....
I don't quite remember what Roman general did it, probably Pompei, founder of "Pamplona".
They settled the area with Celtic tribes called "Vardulii and Caristii".
It seems they learned Basque by the intrusion of elements from Aquitaine.
Now they say that Basque is related to Iberian.

As to Iberian, also as heavely R1b as Wales, quite strange, it seems caucasians assimilated a language isolate.

In the link, one said that Basque is IE...but that's nonsensical.
There will be a lot more information coming out in the future so I think there will be a lot better understanding of what happened. No Basque is not IE.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
The different Cetic or Keltic languages in Hispania, Galia, Germania, Illiria, Helvetia, Britannia, Hivernia, Dacia, Panonia at a large etcetera had a common nexus but were very different. They had a common source, probably Hallstat, and was Indoeuropean. In Hispania there are older writings, 2000 years old bronze plates written in Keltic-Iberian, Iberian written with Greek alphabet.

But if there's a relation between R1b and Indoeropean languages, how come Basques, Catalans, with a similar concentration of R1b than Wales and Ireland, did a speak a non-Indoeropean language? Basque and Iberians, and also Aquitanian in France?

Easy, despite the fact that they were subdued by Indo-Europeans, they were the group which offered the most resistance to the newcomers from the north to the Iberian peninsula. Perhaps, the same way the Welsh and the Cornish resisted the English or Anglo-Saxon people, for this reason the Welsh speech persisted much longer while in most of England, Celtic (Brittonic) speech, culture, traditions were completely lost or erased by Germanic dominance.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM

R1b-DF27, outside of Iberia could be common all the way up to Belgium and some parts of western Germany, while the R1b-L21 which much more common in the British Isles, is scarce in Iberia. However some people still want to find a specific link between Iberia and Ireland, it is nonsense! There is no specific link. We see that that R1b subclade types found in northwestern France, northwestern Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway are more likely to be R1b-L21 than R1b-DF27. That makes it so easy to understand why the Irish/British would cluster quite easily with other northern populations than with southern European populations such as Basques/Spaniards/Portuguese.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:

Quite possible the Bashkirs another interesting group also have a heavy representation of R1b but speak a Turkic IE language, it would be interesting to know how much ANE(ancient north eurasian) DNA they typically carry, they appear quite Asian.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...50aceec9d7.jpg

Last edited by AFP; 06-13-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Stop playing the stupid racist card. We all talking about white people here. You still need some education with mentoring. You have no clue of what I am talking about, because you are not informed. Not all Germanic people are blonde and not all blondes are Germanics. That is not the point of my statements, go read again my statements, perhaps then you'll understand something. I have repeatedly said that my statements do not concern recent immigrations within the last 150 years, from other parts of the world, including former British colonies.
So let me get this straight, if somebodies ancestors came to Britain 151 years ago they are 'British' but if their ancestors arrived 149 years ago then they're not? Oh and it also depends on the colour of their skin? Tell me more - does ALL of your ancestors have to be Anglo Saxon before you consider them indigenous British? What if your ancestors came from elsewhere in Europe but are all white? Are you more British than somebody who has 1 black skinned ancestor but all other white skinned ancestors that have been in Britain 500 years? How many British people do you think don't have ANY ancestors from outside the island for at least 150 years? In two years time will somebody who's ancestors came from elsewhere 149 years ago then qualify as British? How long before somebody brown skinned can qualify as British? 100 years? 1000 years? 2.5 million years or never because their skin isn't the 'right' colour?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Easthome

Anybody saying such thing has probably never being in a city in any country. As I recall, most people in London were from all around, and that's was a long time ago. More so in a country with the Commonwealth. There were also lots of Europeans, lots of Greeks, not to mention Irish, Indians, Jews, Hungarians. And there was always an important foreign colony during the last 400 years as England was a merchantile power and NO inquisition. Just take a look at a bottle of JB, Justerini and Bros.

And the Anglo-Saxon stuff is just romantic stuff.

Such thing might hold true in Iceland or Japan.
No it isn't! If genetical studies can still prove it to this day, that means the Anglo-Saxons must have had a very strong genetic impact on the British population. Anglo-Saxons progressively mingled with the Brythonic-speaking population, but ensured that they kept the upper hand in all levels socially, politically and culturally. This means the law favoured the conquering Germanics over the conquered Kelts for a time. Obviously any large cities such as London, Paris, Berlin, Stockholm etc... will have foreigners but they were significant in the overall majority of the population of England. This is why, at one point, Jewish people for example were expelled from England, they weren't that many. Irish people suffered terrible discrimination at one time, some have even gone as far to say that the hatred of gingers (as myself) in Britain especially England must be linked to the hatred they had for the Irish. However that isn't for sure. Remember the country which has the largest population in the British Islands has always been England.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Concerning the Germanic Y-Dna in Europe, shows it would more common in England than in the Celtic Fringe. So for people to think Anglo-Saxons simply disappeared, they living an illusion.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:59 PM

14 posts, read 14,942 times
They are all white, so yes they are all the same

I myself am British and white and I believe white is just so boring, and it lacks diversity

they aren't only the same, they are so similar, we are just so bland

Old 06-14-2015, 11:14 PM

469 posts, read 576,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon Erandi View Post
They are all white, so yes they are all the same

I myself am British and white and I believe white is just so boring, and it lacks diversity

they aren't only the same, they are so similar, we are just so bland

Good grief, I've seen drunken hobos on the corner that couldn't even stand up that were less pathetic than this. You are either pitifully self hating, or you're a troll. It's got to be one or the other.

Assuming you're not the latter, those "bland" people you are so bored of have given the world many, many good things. Your small isles have produced some of the greatest men and women this world has ever known. You should be very proud to call them your own.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 06-14-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.