Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound18 View Post
Yes exactly. One on one I cannot tell a difference. But the same goes for one Frenchman and one Englishman. One one you cannot tell the difference. But if we compare groups of 20 French and 20 English the difference is night and day. This is similar to the case with the Irish.

But if show me a group of IRish and group of English, there is a clear difference. The English resemble the the north Germanic populations like Scandinavians and the Dutch. The English have many pshysyical traits not found among the Irish.

So yes, the English look significantly different from the Irish,
What is so different about the 2 populations? Being Irish I wouldn't be able to tell unless they had a distinctive t-shirt on. Taking this further can you tell the difference between Scots and English or Welsh and English?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
What is so different about the 2 populations? Being Irish I wouldn't be able to tell unless they had a distinctive t-shirt on. Taking this further can you tell the difference between Scots and English or Welsh and English?
You aren't Irish you are Australian. If you are Irish, I am Irish too.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You aren't Irish you are Australian. If you are Irish, I am Irish too.
Were you born in Ireland? I've never heard before that someone born in Ireland isn't Irish. I've also spent quite a few years in Ireland and did part of my primary schooling there. I've also worked there for a period of time. How can I not be Irish? By your logic anyone that leaves their country and moves somewhere else loses any ties to their birthplace. So if you leave the USA and live in the UK you're not an American?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 AM

342 posts, read 511,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Were you born in Ireland? I've never heard before that someone born in Ireland isn't Irish. I've also spent quite a few years in Ireland and did part of my primary schooling there. I've also worked there for a period of time. How can I not be Irish? By your logic anyone that leaves their country and moves somewhere else loses any ties to their birthplace. So if you leave the USA and live in the UK you're not an American?
What an ignorant discussion. You seem fully incapable of accepting that most people consider the English to look different from Irish. You claim hobbes can't know anything about the Irish because of his location (the lowest form oaf argument IMO) but it turns out you live in Australia halfway around the world. Apparently both of you have ties to the British isles. Who cares who is right or wrong? What are you like 5 years old? I am Canadian, can I join into the "im Irish fray too?". Some people have different opinions, be a man and get over it. Most people think the English look different from the Irish, end of story. It doesnt matter how hard you try to English. Be proud of your Irish heritage instead of rejecting in hopes of being English/Germanic.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
What an ignorant discussion. You seem fully incapable of accepting that most people consider the English to look different from Irish. You claim hobbes can't know anything about the Irish because of his location (the lowest form oaf argument IMO) but it turns out you live in Australia halfway around the world. Apparently both of you have ties to the British isles. Who cares who is right or wrong? What are you like 5 years old? I am Canadian, can I join into the "im Irish fray too?". Some people have different opinions, be a man and get over it. Most people think the English look different from the Irish, end of story. It doesnt matter how hard you try to English. Be proud of your Irish heritage instead of rejecting in hopes of being English/Germanic.
I've very proud of my Irish heritage and this discussion has nothing to do with being "Germanic". Most English aren't "Germanic". Just because I said they are close genetically doesn't have anything to do with wanting to be English or Germanic. It is just a fact.

I have more than ties to Ireland as I was born there and have lived there at different periods so STOP with your nonsense about wanting to be "Germanic".

Where do you think the Irish came from that they have different genetics than people in Britain? Do you think they just dropped out of the sky?

All the populations there are the same because they all came over originally when there was a landbridge connecting them to Europe. The Irish originally came to Ireland via Britain and this is why the genetics are so similar. Britain had more recent invaders from the Continent but the original population has a much larger input.

This is the latest large scale genetic study done on Britain.

What makes the British? | Oxford Today

Also explain how they look different other than saying the English are "Germanic"?

Last edited by Bernie20; 10-09-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
The only argument you give is that you keep accusing me of wanting to be English/Germanic and you call what I said ignorant. If anyone is interested in this topic here is an interesting study done on this subject and a discussion. Also you don't know whether I'm male or female so no point saying "be a man". Why don't you take your own advice a read a bit about the subject instead of being so hung up on your biases.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...h-genetically/

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/08...map-of-europe/

Last edited by Bernie20; 10-09-2014 at 02:13 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 03:13 AM

Here's another good blog on genetics and Northern Europeans. The comments section is interesting. Before anyone says this isn't about the subject it is discussing the relationship of all Northern Europeans and their genetics so it is a factor in what we have been discussing here.

Dienekes’ Anthropology Blog: Supplement on "Geographical structure and differential natural selection amongst North European populations" (McEvoy et al. 2009)

Old 10-09-2014, 03:15 PM

91 posts, read 117,764 times
Keep telling yourself that, Bernie, and maybe it will come true. Everyone knows the English look different from the Irish. They look like Germans, Dutch, Norwegians, etc, They are Germanic, the Irish are the conquered Celts. But maybe if you repeat it enough times it won't be so.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM

They have analysed the genome of an ancient Iron Age Briton from Hinxton, England. It is a male from 500AD. It gives an idea of what the population of Britain was at that time.

"ERS389795, henceforth also known as the "Iron Age Briton", is a male and belongs to Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b-L11 and mitochondrial haplogroup K1a1b1b. In terms of genome-wide genetic structure he's most similar to present-day Orcadians, the Irish, western Scots, Icelanders and western Norwegians, more or less in that order. However he's quite distinct from the modern inhabitants of England, or at least those in my datasets, who mostly come from Kent and Cornwall."

The difference between the English and Irish is that genetically the English are more southern than the Irish. This "Iron Age Briton" is more similar to the present day Irish.

Eurogenes Blog: Analysis of an Iron Age Briton from Hinxton

Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Keep telling yourself that, Bernie, and maybe it will come true. Everyone knows the English look different from the Irish. They look like Germans, Dutch, Norwegians, etc, They are Germanic, the Irish are the conquered Celts. But maybe if you repeat it enough times it won't be so.

Keep living with your old worldly theories Oranje1 to feel superior to people. Just interested in the genetic side of things not the politics. Not really interested in all these trollish comments. The internet definitely brings out your sort. You would go down really well at the Orange Lodge so your name is very apt.

It is also interesting to see that Victorian era racism is alive and well. Also all these comments have come from non-English and non-British people.

Last edited by Bernie20; 10-09-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe