Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Explain to me again how I used the word "indigenous" incorrectly. The only one babbling here is you. Every single one of your posts are endless babbling about population genetics and germanic peoples. You are obsessed.
I like the study of population genetics and biological anthropology, it gives answers about our mysterious past and clears up a lot of confusion or myths as well. For example with the POBI project, we now know for sure that the Anglo-Saxon did genetically impacted the existing British population they met in the 5th century, but did not completely exterminated rather intermingled with Celts, but with them (Saxons) being place in the upper echelon of society. This ensured their social and biological dominance. You are the one babbling, since you do not know much. All you have to do is learn. The reason, there is debating is to learn more from each other. Bring up more information so we can share, instead of acting like a bunch of cats and dogs!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I like the study of population genetics and biological anthropology, it gives answers about our mysterious past and clears up a lot of confusion or myths as well. For example with the POBI project, we now know for sure that the Anglo-Saxon did genetically impacted the existing British population they met in the 5th century, but did not completely exterminated rather intermingled with Celts, but with them (Saxons) being place in the upper echelon of society. This ensured their social and biological dominance. You are the one babbling, since you do not know much. All you have to do is learn. The reason, there is debating is to learn more from each other. Bring up more information so we can share, instead of acting like a bunch of cats and dogs!
For the last time Saxonwold - Britain is NOT a nation full of 'pure bred' Anglo Saxons, to suggest otherwise (particularly in the 21st Century) is just folly, you seriously think that most Britons have 'pure' heritage back to the ice age!!!!!! lol, perhaps instead of consistently spouting nonsense from wherever the hell you spout it from I suggest you come and have a look around British towns and cities and see for yourself the true 'make-up' of the British and of Britain.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
For the last time Saxonwold - Britain is NOT a nation full of 'pure bred' Anglo Saxons, to suggest otherwise (particularly in the 21st Century) is just folly, you seriously think that most Britons have 'pure' heritage back to the ice age!!!!!! lol, perhaps instead of consistently spouting nonsense from wherever the hell you spout it from I suggest you come and have a look around British towns and cities and see for yourself the true 'make-up' of the British and of Britain.
I think by now your geographical skills have improved. Nobody said that Britons are pure, it is only you who thinks that I said it. There cannot pure Anglo-Saxons, the Anglo-Saxons comprised of three Germanic tribes, so that is already a mixture.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Like I said, I was speaking culturally, not genetically.

But if we are to talk about ancestry, the English look quite different from the Irish to me. I know many like to say that the English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh are all the same, but to me the English (and some Scots) clearly look a lot like people from Scandinavia, West Germany, Holland, etc. Obviously not exact copies, but very similar. Perhaps they are a halfway point between continental Northern Europe and Ireland. There is a definitely an "English look" that I instantly recognize in England, the US, and Australia, but I definitely don't find in Ireland. And this makes a lot of sense considering that the history books tell us that the English are largely descended the Angles and Saxons from the area of Frisia and Southern Denmark.
The Irish are not as different from the English as you say they are. The differences are there, but they are slight, not to be exaggerated. In a few of my statements I pointed out some differences. Nevertheless Irish people are Northern Europeans and overall they are very-light pigmented.

http://i.imgur.com/Q1Pre8e.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/e3ccj36sx/273...8ebe68c6_o.jpg

Now culturally English culture is dominant now in all the countries which make up the British Islands, because for many years, the English subdued the Celts. At one time in Wales, Welsh was forbidden to be taught in schools.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Theres only one TRUE way to tell....give me a night alone with a beautiful woman from each and then I'll get back with you....

Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Scrtus View Post
Britain ceased to be Anglo-Saxon on 14 October 1066, Battle of Hastings. French Normans annihilated the culture, and tried their best to expel Saxons from England. Many fled to Ireland and Scotland and to Bizantium, were they founded a "New York".

The Anglo-Saxon theory emerged during the 18th and 19th Century as a way to differentiate themselves from Catholics. Just the same romantic mouvement that spread throughout all Europe after classisicim, as countries tried to develop their own identity.
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Really? Why are you so ignorant? If science can prove that the Anglo-Saxon people have made the second greatest genetic impact on the indigenous people of Britain, after the first waves of people who came to Britain after the Ice Age. That is no more romanticism, but facts. I am a descendant of those Anglo-Saxon people who came to Britain, in the 5th century. By the time, the Normans came to invade England in 1066, the Anglo-Saxon people had already been in England for more than 500 years!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 AM

56 posts, read 75,251 times
As far as I know English people have a lot of celtic heritage as well, only because they don't speak a celtic language anymore doesn't mean that there is no celtic blood in England. I once learned about celtic languages and there were two families, one of them expanded from north France to England and the other one from north Spain to Ireland and from there to Scotland and Welsh.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,631 times
Quote:
I sometimes wonder what kind of history books do they have in public HS in the US. Do they use Asterix and Obelix?
Astérix et Obélix are wonderful books, don't say that, my teacher in collège used them to teach us History. and see I'm VERY knowledgeable.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
As far as I know English people have a lot of celtic heritage as well, only because they don't speak a celtic language anymore doesn't mean that there is no celtic blood in England. I once learned about celtic languages and there were two families, one of them expanded from north France to England and the other one from north Spain to Ireland and from there to Scotland and Welsh.
From Spain? I don't think so. No one has ever said that the English don't have Celtic blood.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I sometimes wonder what kind of history books do they have in public HS in the US. Do they use Asterix and Obelix?
I sometimes wonder how disconnected is your nervous system. The post published is from the conclusion done by the POBI project. The study was specifically done to see what the main genetical differences between indigenous populations of the U.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe