Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:46 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
As far as I know English people have a lot of celtic heritage as well, only because they don't speak a celtic language anymore doesn't mean that there is no celtic blood in England. I once learned about celtic languages and there were two families, one of them expanded from north France to England and the other one from north Spain to Ireland and from there to Scotland and Welsh.
So it isn't that English lack Celtic blood, they have Celtic blood but the difference between them and most other British is that they have a higher input of Germanic which came from their forebears who hailed from Denmark and also parts of northern Germany to settle Britain. England was named after them.
For your information, the Celtic groups of the British Isles belong to the Insular Celtic group which is sectioned into the Goidelic and Brittonic branches and those of Spain and Portugal are Celtiberian languages.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:22 AM

56 posts, read 75,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
From Spain? I don't think so. No one has ever said that the English don't have Celtic blood.
Yes, from Spain, no matter if you think so or not, I know this for sure.

Get some information about Galicia and the celtic culture in northern Spain, Celts were there before they got to Irland and Britain.

Celts were indeed 3/4 parts of the iberian peninsula, but Iberians were nowhere else, so man decided to call it "iberian peninsula" instead of celtic peninsula because celts were almost all around western Europe.

The problem is that celts were a folk that used to mix with other cultures, thats why there aren't many rests from their culture in other countries, it only remains there were not other powerful empires imposed their own culture, like romans did in France or Spain.

For your info:
Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds - This Britain - UK - The Independent

Last edited by kessel; 06-11-2015 at 01:33 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
So it isn't that English lack Celtic blood, they have Celtic blood but the difference between them and most other British is that they have a higher input of Germanic which came from their forebears who hailed from Denmark and also parts of northern Germany to settle Britain. England was named after them.
For your information, the Celtic groups of the British Isles belong to the Insular Celtic group which is sectioned into the Goidelic and Brittonic branches and those of Spain and Portugal are Celtiberian languages.
You should search on Gallaecian, spoken in northern Spain, not celtiberian, they are not the same, even when both languages were spoken in the Iberian peninsula.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
Yes, from Spain, no matter if you think so or not, I know this for sure.

Get some information about Galicia and the celtic culture in northern Spain, Celts were there before they got to Irland and Britain.

Celts were indeed 3/4 parts of the iberian peninsula, but Iberians were nowhere else, so man decided to call it "iberian peninsula" instead of celtic peninsula because celts were almost all around western Europe.

The problem is that celts were a folk that used to mix with other cultures, thats why there aren't many rests from their culture in other countries, it only remains there were not other powerful empires imposed their own culture, like romans did in France or Spain.

For your info:
Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds - This Britain - UK - The Independent
That information is old and no longer accepted. Here is the latest on R1b. It came to Europe from Yamnaya who also brought Indo-European language. This is beyond dispute now.

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/reic...ature14317.pdf

A handful of Bronze-Age men could have fathered two thirds of Europeans

Eurogenes Blog: 101 ancient Eurasian genomes (Allentoft et al. 2015)

Gaelic language is an insular Celtic language like Brythonic language. It is not from Spain. The reason why the Irish didn't adopt P Celtic is mainly due to isolation but the two languages e.g. Gaelic and Brythonic language are obviously very closely connected.

The oldest written Goidelic language is Primitive Irish, which is attested in Ogham inscriptions from about the 4th century. The forms of this speech are very close, and often identical, to the forms of Gaulish recorded before and during the Roman Empire. The next stage, Old Irish, is found in glosses (i.e. annotations) to Latin manuscripts—mainly religious and grammatical—from the 6th to the 10th century, as well as in archaic texts copied/recorded in Middle Irish texts. Middle Irish, the immediate predecessor of the modern Goidelic languages, is the term for the language as recorded from the 10th to the 12th century: a great deal of literature survives in it, including the early Irish law texts.

Goidelic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
That information is old and no longer accepted. Here is the latest on R1b. It came to Europe from Yamnaya who also brought Indo-European language. This is beyond dispute now.

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/reic...ature14317.pdf

A handful of Bronze-Age men could have fathered two thirds of Europeans

Eurogenes Blog: 101 ancient Eurasian genomes (Allentoft et al. 2015)

Gaelic language is an insular Celtic language like Brythonic language. It is not from Spain. The reason why the Irish didn't adopt P Celtic is mainly due to isolation but the two languages e.g. Gaelic and Brythonic language are obviously very closely connected.

The oldest written Goidelic language is Primitive Irish, which is attested in Ogham inscriptions from about the 4th century. The forms of this speech are very close, and often identical, to the forms of Gaulish recorded before and during the Roman Empire. The next stage, Old Irish, is found in glosses (i.e. annotations) to Latin manuscripts—mainly religious and grammatical—from the 6th to the 10th century, as well as in archaic texts copied/recorded in Middle Irish texts. Middle Irish, the immediate predecessor of the modern Goidelic languages, is the term for the language as recorded from the 10th to the 12th century: a great deal of literature survives in it, including the early Irish law texts.

Goidelic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In that links I still see more in common between spanish and brits than between brits and germans.

Gaelic is obviously not from Spain, but it descends from a celtic language that first was in Spain.

The best current theory for the origin of the Gaelic peoples is that originated somewhere in northern Spain and/or southern France during the westward migrations of the Celts in the 2nd and 1st millennia B.C. From these areas, they later spread to Ireland and finally Scotland. <---this is long before the Ogham inscriptions of the 4th century.

Galician is indeed a Romance language, but the culture and ethnicity of the region was historically strongly Celtic, and remains rather Celtic even to this day. They lost their native Celtic tongue along with other Celtic peoples in (northern) Iberia when the Romans conquered the peninsula. Before this, there is evidence of them speaking the "Gallaecian" language, a continental Celtic language.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
I will say there is definitely a look that some people have that gives away that they are Irish.

Not everyone has it.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
You just don't get it do you!? English people are NOT all Anglo-Saxon! What makes you think that the Anglo-Saxons are the 'indigenous' English?? They are just one of MANY peoples that have settled in the UK from 'other' places and called it home, yet you keep harping on and on about the only 'true' English being Germanic and blond! I am sorry but the fact that you refuse to count any of the other settlers throughout history as indigenous or proper British is a racist view.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:21 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Native English people are involved in the discussion not migrants.

And the people you are refering to who have "settled" in England have all arrived in the last 100 years. I.e migrants. All the migrants are a recent phenomenon..

Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Native English people are involved in the discussion not migrants.

And the people you are refering to who have "settled" in England have all arrived in the last 100 years. I.e migrants. All the migrants are a recent phenomenon..
Who are these 'native' English people then? Cant be the Anglo-Saxons, or the Celts because they came from elsewhere, so who are these 'native' English?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You just don't get it do you!? English people are NOT all Anglo-Saxon! What makes you think that the Anglo-Saxons are the 'indigenous' English?? They are just one of MANY peoples that have settled in the UK from 'other' places and called it home, yet you keep harping on and on about the only 'true' English being Germanic and blond! I am sorry but the fact that you refuse to count any of the other settlers throughout history as indigenous or proper British is a racist view.
Stop playing the stupid racist card. We all talking about white people here. You still need some education with mentoring. You have no clue of what I am talking about, because you are not informed. Not all Germanic people are blonde and not all blondes are Germanics. That is not the point of my statements, go read again my statements, perhaps then you'll understand something. I have repeatedly said that my statements do not concern recent immigrations within the last 150 years, from other parts of the world, including former British colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe