Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 AM

65 posts, read 90,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Yes, basically. Plunderers, along with the Vikings (that came much later). The island was left to their own means when Roman retreated, and pirates, predators and scavengers festered on the corpse. The Britons (real English) were subject to all kinds of abuse. Then, Normans came during the 11th Century and kicked the butts of descendants of pirates and subject them to serfdom. Normans brought some civilization and French became the court's language, that's why English is a semi-Latin language, not a totally barbaric one.
Festered on the corpses? LOL

You sound like a romantacist.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMG View Post
Festered on the corpses? LOL

You sound like a romantacist.
Just like Walter Scott used to say.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
No, I don't think so there is hardly any difference. Ok we might have our own little things but is that really any different to states in america having differences?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It seems like to some extent, the Celtic ethnicities are less 'English' now than they were 100 years ago, as they are reclaiming their languages and customs.
Really? I live in Northern Ireland and things here are more english/british than ever.

People might learn Irish but they don't speak it in public.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Really? I live in Northern Ireland and things here are more english/british than ever.

People might learn Irish but they don't speak it in public.
Isn't Northern Ireland quite different though, since only about 50% of the people there are actually Irish?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM

LOL it isn't as simple as that though is it? We are all arguably Irish because we are born on the island of ireland. But I think you are confusing ancestry with nationality, yes some of us are mostly british ancestry and others irish.

When I say more english/british than ever I mean the lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM

65 posts, read 90,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Isn't Northern Ireland quite different though, since only about 50% of the people there are actually Irish?
Can you define what you mean about 50% of the people are actually Irish?

My father was a protestant who thought of himself as an Irishman.or do you mean 50% of people who Think they are 100% Native Gaelic? Considering my Mothers side of the family was Catholic with some Planter blood, i think that ends that myth.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
I'd say they are separate ethnicities but have been highly influenced by the English language and colonization and are genetically nearly the same.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM

84 posts, read 225,201 times
I don't see any difference in my opinion. Maybe just Irish people look different than British but not a special ethnicity.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Ethnicity is defined by culture not by genes. When we say that Irish, Welch or Scotish people are celts while English are Germanic it refers to their language. Today, the "celtic nations" are not culturally celtic anymore since quite a few centuries, excepted for small minorities taht continue to practice celtic languages.

There are not "celtic" genes; the actual inhabitants of Irland or scotland are, like others areas in Europe the result of the genetic mixing of the various waves of peoples that left part of their genepool.
The Irish, Welch and Scottish people are not especially descendant of the original Celts who were originally a people from central Europe. Celtic culture has spread to most of western Europe, from the British isles to Spain. That doesn't mean that Celts (from central Europe) have displaces or killed the previous people, they have just change their culture, with maybe some limited genetic mixing (the same way Spanish people did in the American colonies, they spread their culture, language and some genes, but in most latin American countries the population is a mix with a majority of pre-colombian genes.)

That said, there might exist some light differences between the different peoples of the British isles, but not necessarily between English and the rest. I tend to think that we can find also variantions between those "celtic nations"; for exemple between Welch and Scottish, who despite being lumped as "celtic" do not necesseraly share more genetic links than with the English.
Globally speaking I tend to think that most of the British isles is in a genetic continuum with the rest of northern Europe, whatever the lands used to be culturally celtic (which they are not really anymore) or Germanic. We should not forget that the north sea did not existed a few milleniums ago, the hunters were freely moving from northern Germany to England passing thru what is now the Netherlands. so that is not surprising they largely overlap, included in the "celtic nations"
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.c...apofeurope.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe