Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Even people with an education seem to have attitudes that show us that they still think that this superiority is true.
Are you trolling or you really are that naive? Funny, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
I am sorry ,but that's how it is. Have you lived in Norway? I have. Like I said, it's not bad that you see fathers pushing strollers, it's bad that you see less mothers doing it. Yes, I cook and clean, does that make me weak? Guess what, most norwegian women dotn't do that and many even can't. Good values last forever, what does being 2014 have to do with them?YYou might want to face reality and stop ebarrassing yourself.

If any of the guys dare to say anything about it, they would be labeled as sexist. That may not be true for Finland, but it is 100% true for Norway. According to friends the situation is similar in Sweden.

I also don't think it's a coincidence there are so many single men out there. Unless they chose to be lonely. I doubt it.
Why is it bad to see more fathers pushing strollers, but not bad to see more mothers? Why is it okay for men to work and the mother to stay home, but the opposite is not okay, and is somehow a symptom of 'feminism gone mad'? Why must a mother cook and clean to be a mother? Why can't men cook and clean, and why can't a woman work while her partner stays home?

I mean, there are so many men who work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week who would love to stay at home with their kids instead of working all the time. Fathers want more time with their children. Many mothers get tired of being at home all the time and want to work instead.

If there are so many single men, then there must be an equal number of single women, unless these women are all dating the same guys at once, lol.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM

363 posts, read 480,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why is it bad to see more fathers pushing strollers, but not bad to see more mothers? Why is it okay for men to work and the mother to stay home, but the opposite is not okay, and is somehow a symptom of 'feminism gone mad'? Why must a mother cook and clean to be a mother? Why can't men cook and clean, and why can't a woman work while her partner stays home?

I mean, there are so many men who work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week who would love to stay at home with their kids instead of working all the time. Fathers want more time with their children. Many mothers get tired of being at home all the time and want to work instead.

If there are so many single men, then there must be an equal number of single women, unless these women are all dating the same guys at once, lol.

There are more men than women who lives in Norway, so Norway need more women.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:26 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
I am sorry ,but that's how it is. Have you lived in Norway? I have. Like I said, it's not bad that you see fathers pushing strollers, it's bad that you see less mothers doing it. Yes, I cook and clean, does that make me weak? Guess what, most norwegian women don't do that and many even can't. Good values last forever, what does being 2014 have to do with them?You might want to face reality and stop ebarrassing yourself.

If any of the guys dare to say anything about it, they would be labeled as sexist. That may not be true for Finland, but it is 100% true for Norway. According to friends the situation is similar in Sweden.

I also don't think it's a coincidence there are so many single men out there. Unless they chose to be lonely. I doubt it.
No I have not. Why is it bad that less women push strollers? A relationship and family is not all about a power play and the sense of superiority. I have been in several relationships, and in all I've been the better cook. I don't want to come home to a ready dinner if I can make it better myself. You clean, I cook, a deal? What's wrong with that?

And what are these good values? The 50's ideal that men should be real men and women be real women? What if neither wants it, but be equal partners?

And nobody forces it on you. Norway doesn't have an equality police searching for unequal deeds. If you want to be the feminine housewife you can do it and have your macho man if you want.

BTW, a conservative youth politican who is part Hungarian said a couple of years ago that marital rape should not exist, as it's the duty of the wife to fulfill her husband's needs. It caused quite a stir, as this was considered quite unfathomable. But if you want that way, you are free to do it here as well. If you don't, it's also your choice. This is a free country, do what you like.

Maybe Sweden and Norway have taken a step further, but things like legalised prostitution and no gender quotas still are the reality in Finland and Denmark.

Last edited by Ariete; 11-08-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 01:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Everything the Nordics(or say Europe in general) are good at. Education, press freedom, equality, policing, tolerance, food security, housing, environment....the list can go on and on.
If you think it's bad now, wait till you are part of China again

Old 11-08-2014, 02:43 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Are you trolling or you really are that naive? Funny, anyway.
How am I being naïve?!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:52 PM

319 posts, read 395,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No I have not. Why is it bad that less women push strollers? A relationship and family is not all about a power play and the sense of superiority. I have been in several relationships, and in all I've been the better cook. I don't want to come home to a ready dinner if I can make it better myself. You clean, I cook, a deal? What's wrong with that?

And what are these good values? The 50's ideal that men should be real men and women be real women? What if neither wants it, but be equal partners?

And nobody forces it on you. Norway doesn't have an equality police searching for unequal deeds. If you want to be the feminine housewife you can do it and have your macho man if you want.

BTW, a conservative youth politican who is part Hungarian said a couple of years ago that marital rape should not exist, as it's the duty of the wife to fulfill her husband's needs. It caused quite a stir, as this was considered quite unfathomable. But if you want that way, you are free to do it here as well. If you don't, it's also your choice. This is a free country, do what you like.

Maybe Sweden and Norway have taken a step further, but things like legalised prostitution and no gender quotas still are the reality in Finland and Denmark.
The thing is that until recently men and women had different roles in society. It's not about being better or worse, but different. We are very different in almost every way. And no, that doesn't mean women were slaves that only cooked and cleaned.

It's not just about roles, but also attitude. A lot of norwegian women come across as "tough". If you like the bad girl attitude, then you'll love them. On the other hand many guys are extremely shy and lack confidence. Are those masculine characteristics? Honestly. Actually the end result is not being equal but rather the opposite of each other.

I don't live in Norway anymore and I don't hate it. It's a very beautiful country. I simply stated what I have observed in the course of couple months. It was actually 2 years ago. Maybe it has changed...but I doubt it.

I also didn't say anything about Finland, because my impressions of it were not the same.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:52 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
The thing is that until recently men and women had different roles in society. It's not about being better or worse, but different. We are very different in almost every way. And no, that doesn't mean women were slaves that only cooked and cleaned.
We are not that different biologically speaking, actually. Most gender differences are socially constructed and therefore subject to change over time.

What makes you think women in those days had no ambition other than to be a mother and housewife? Do you really think it was every woman's dream to have the same routine day after day while being completely dependent on her husband to take care of her and the kids? Of course not. They just didn't feel they had any other options in life. Likewise there were plenty of men who would have loved to spend more time with their family instead of working 12 hours a day to put food on the table.

Quote:
It's not just about roles, but also attitude. A lot of norwegian women come across as "tough". If you like the bad girl attitude, then you'll love them. On the other hand many guys are extremely shy and lack confidence. Are those masculine characteristics? Honestly. Actually the end result is not being equal but rather the opposite of each other.
Is there anything wrong with tough women or shy guys? Is it somehow genetically encoded that women are always sweet and soft and men are always macho and tough? How sad that some people feel they have to go through life pretending to be something other than what they are for the sake of "tradition".

You seem to think the gender roles of traditional Western patriarchal culture are "natural" and anything that strays from it is "unnatural". Well, Scandinavia was never as patriarchal as the rest of Europe to begin with - going back to its pagan religions that reserved important roles for women as opposed to Christianity, where women could not even speak in church. In other parts of the world it is common for women to be the head of the household and be actively involved in business in political decisions (for example Native Americans).

If you prefer to be the one behind that stroller while your husband is at work, that is perfecly fine. But don't criticize other women (and men) for having different ambitions in life.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
We are not that different biologically speaking, actually. Most gender differences are socially constructed and therefore subject to change over time.
I hear this "politically-correct" agenda in the US quite often too, ( that most gender differences are "socially-constructed," ) however my experience is telling me otherwise.
For example they are saying here in the US that the reason that girls "don't score in math and science as high as boys because they are "socially conditioned" for that, because teachers don't give them enough attention comparably to boys and so on.
To me this sounds like total nonsense and a good excuse to wreck the system of education, dumbing everyone down in "equal, unbiased way."
When we were educated in Soviet system, the Soviet government could care less about gender when it was coming to math and science; our wonderful Politbureau wanted anyone capable of rocket science to proceed to higher education - boys or girls - they didn't give a damn. So math/physics lessons were usually of high pace and teachers wanted students to compete with each other, boys or girls alike. The end result was however the same - far more boys were capable in math and science than girls, without any "social construction." Therefore all this politically correct propaganda in the US doesn't make much sense to me.
And toughness? I see a lot of women here are "tough" when they are protected by money. But when they are not, they run into the arms of any man to save them from the grinder. So all this politically-correct propaganda is very questionable to me, even on the matter what "toughness" really is.

Last edited by erasure; 11-08-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 07:21 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well, I think this sounds amazing. Men pushing baby strollers is really hot.
There is nothing "hot" about it - rather pitiful the way I see it.
These are infants for Christ's sakes, and infants need mothers, that's common sense.
When children are already somewhat older - sure, that's when men can pitch in, they can stay at home with them - whatever. Because at that point in time children are already developing mentally and that's when eternal "inner child" in man can finally come handy))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe