Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
good or bad, when people think of Europe, the UK automatically jumps out, it being part of Eurozone or considering itself European or not. Doesn't really matter.

To deny there are core and periphery countries is childish PC. You can't seriously think Finland or Denmark are as important as France and Italy. The UK may not consider itself European, but it had a far more profound impact on Europe than all the tier 3/4 countries combined.
Maybe economically there are core and periphery countries but in terms of importance in the Europe that does not exist. Only if you are completely ignorant of European affairs or you are not European you would believe this. Countries such as Portugal and Denmark are older than Italy or Germany. Besides the contributions given by 'Core' countries are not important on a daily basis as most of them are literature or artistic contributions.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardioR View Post
Most people think that Finland is Russia.
Greeks, indeed, they are the equivalent of the Founding Fathers. the Thirteen Colonies.
And they always will be. They're not going anywhere. Whether they're part of the EU or not, they'll always be there. EU membership (or not) has nothing to do with the significance of their historic role in Europe.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Maybe economically there are core and periphery countries but in terms of importance in the Europe that does not exist. Only if you are completely ignorant of European affairs or you are not European you would believe this. Countries such as Portugal and Denmark are older than Italy or Germany. Besides the contributions given by 'Core' countries are not important on a daily basis as most of them are literature or artistic contributions.
so, economic size doesn't matter, literature/arts don't matter, then what matters? History, who is "older", namely what happened 3000 years ago?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
so, economic size doesn't matter, literature/arts don't matter, then what matters? History, who is "older", namely what happened 3000 years ago?
Well, as I've said before: crappy countries boast about their glorious history, successful countries boast where they are now.

We are a young nation, 98 years of independence, 206 years of autonomy, and without boasting, I can assure you all we have contributed more to humanity than Greece has during these 98 or 206 years. Hands down.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
"A Europe without Finland is not that hard to imagine. A Europe without Greece would not feel like Europe at all"

Without Europe's generosity, Greece's museums are ancient history | Art and design | The Guardian

Worlds most expensive museum to keep up..
You do realize that the people who took a 30-year period in history and used it as a basis to turn Greece into an antiquity theme park were classicists like Lord Byron in the 18th century who weren't happy with their own pedigree (of being descendants of cave dwellers) and were looking for some grandiose ancestry for themselves?

Now lets deal in reality: Greece is Balkan and Ottoman in its mentality and its way of government. The culture is very family and clan based. They are Eastern Orthodox Christians, not Protestants; They are Catholics, but not Roman Catholics. In other words, they have virtually zero in common with the West.

Greece has a per capita GDP lower than West Virginia. I doubt it would be missed.

The only reason it has been the West's "pet" all these years is because they are afraid of Russia gaining influence with their Eastern Orthodox cousins in the Balkans.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, as I've said before: crappy countries boast about their glorious history, successful countries boast where they are now.

We are a young nation, 98 years of independence, 206 years of autonomy, and without boasting, I can assure you all we have contributed more to humanity than Greece has during these 98 or 206 years. Hands down.
Finland at least had Nokia, what did Greece produce? Olive oil? Honestly I don't know anything Greece produces that contributes anything to the rest of the world in the past hundreds of years. Doesn't have to be consumer goods. Art? Literature? Music? Movies? Science?

Plus, is the current Greece the same Ancient Greece that was so important to the western civilization? Europeans move about a lot, and mix with each other all the time. In all seriousness, I don't think what Ancient Greece contributed to the world has much to do with the current Greek population. Judging by their behavior and achievements in the past 500 years, I certainly don't see the genes.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardioR View Post
Most people think that Finland is Russia.
Greeks, indeed, they are the equivalent of the Founding Fathers. the Thirteen Colonies.
Greeks are the equivalent of mountain people from West Virginia who like to feud with people all the time. Turkey, Macedonia and Albania are the Hatfields and they are the McCoys.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Finland at least had Nokia, what did Greece produce? Olive oil? Honestly I don't know anything Greece produces that contributes anything to the rest of the world in the past hundreds of years. Doesn't have to be consumer goods. Art? Literature? Music? Movies? Science?

Plus, is the current Greece the same Ancient Greece that was so important to the western civilization? Europeans move about a lot, and mix with each other all the time. In all seriousness, I don't think what Ancient Greece contributed to the world has much to do with the current Greek population. Judging by their behavior and achievements in the past 500 years, I certainly don't see the genes.
Don't forget that the center of Greek civilization in the middle ages was Anatolia, which is in Asia. A lot of those Asians were deported to Greece in the 1920's.

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-17-2015 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 07-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Honestly, it is hard to see that people don't use proper reasoning and basic finance/economics to make decision on this issue, but rather rely on some emotional soft spot for a country that they think once 3000 years ago did some great things.

It is neither good for the EU nor for Greece itself.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
As an American I can see the equivalent of what Finland has to offer here in the US: the northwoods of Wisconsin and Michigan with their lakes, cabins, paper mills, and . . . Finnish heritage. In some of these small towns half the names are Aho, Kiva, Kivela, Jarvis, etc. They even have traditional saunas, juusto cheese, etc.

Greece however, from a tourists perspective has absolutely 100% no counterpart anywhere. Period. Places are high on peoples' list to visit because there is no other place like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe