Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Greece however, from a tourists perspective has absolutely 100% no counterpart anywhere. Period. Places are high on peoples' list to visit because there is no other place like it.
Puerto Rico?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Finland at least had Nokia, what did Greece produce? Olive oil? Honestly I don't know anything Greece produces that contributes anything to the rest of the world in the past hundreds of years. Doesn't have to be consumer goods. Art? Literature? Music? Movies? Science?

Plus, is the current Greece the same Ancient Greece that was so important to the western civilization? Europeans move about a lot, and mix with each other all the time. In all seriousness, I don't think what Ancient Greece contributed to the world has much to do with the current Greek population. Judging by their behavior and achievements in the past 500 years, I certainly don't see the genes.
Oh, we created a mobile game where you shoot birds out of a catapult too.

But what bugs me most is that some people raise Greece on a pedestal that it created everything we have. In my view, the Enlightenment and further created the world we are living in now. English, French, German, Italian, American thinkers, innovations, discoveries... nothing of this came from Greece. Absolutely nothing.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, we created a mobile game where you shoot birds out of a catapult too.

I didn't even know Angry Birds is developed by a Finn!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:54 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, as I've said before: crappy countries boast about their glorious history, successful countries boast where they are now.

We are a young nation, 98 years of independence, 206 years of autonomy, and without boasting, I can assure you all we have contributed more to humanity than Greece has during these 98 or 206 years. Hands down.
Boasting about history does not mean that the country is crappy. Every country has its ups and downs and not everything relates to economics. But of course a nationalist/jingostic person like you does not understand that.
IMO what did Finland contribute in the last 98 years?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Finland at least had Nokia, what did Greece produce? Olive oil? Honestly I don't know anything Greece produces that contributes anything to the rest of the world in the past hundreds of years. Doesn't have to be consumer goods. Art? Literature? Music? Movies? Science?

Plus, is the current Greece the same Ancient Greece that was so important to the western civilization? Europeans move about a lot, and mix with each other all the time. In all seriousness, I don't think what Ancient Greece contributed to the world has much to do with the current Greek population. Judging by their behavior and achievements in the past 500 years, I certainly don't see the genes.

From Wiki: "Greece controls 16.2% of the world's total merchant fleet, making it the largest in the world. Greece is ranked in the top 5 for all kinds of ships, including first for tankers and bulk carriers."

"Greece is ranked in the top 5 for all kinds of ships, including first for tankers and bulk carriers."

Chances are, Greek bulk freighters, still transport many of the goods produced by EU. This may be a reason why they want them to remain within EU.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Boasting about history does not mean that the country is crappy. Every country has its ups and downs and not everything relates to economics. But of course a nationalist/jingostic person like you does not understand that.
IMO what did Finland contribute in the last 98 years?
no one said boasting about history means the country is crappy - just that crappy countries tend to only boast about history. Don't you know something called "logic"?

Yes, everyone has its ups and downs, but when was Greece's "ups"? 2000 years ago, when it was "Ancient Greece"?

Countries like Finland probably didn't contribute to the world as much as large countries, but their achievement definitely punches above their actually weight (5 million people?). And more importantly, they didn't create a huge financial mess they can't get out of and have to repeatedly rely on bailouts from other nations.

How many countries have ever defaulted on their debt? Not many. Developed countries? Even fewer. When you can't even pay off your own debt, that's some seriously big Sh8T mess-up.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:12 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,541 times
Quote:
no one said boasting about history means the country is crappy - just that crappy countries tend to only boast about history. Don't you know something called "logic"?

Yes, everyone has its ups and downs, but when was Greece's "ups"? 2000 years ago, when it was "Ancient Greece"?

Countries like Finland probably didn't contribute to the world as much as large countries, but their achievement definitely punches above their actually weight (5 million people?). And more importantly, they didn't create a huge financial mess they can't get out of and have to repeatedly rely on bailouts from other nations.

How many countries have ever defaulted on their debt? Not many. Developed countries? Even fewer. When you can't even pay off your own debt, that's some seriously big Sh8T mess-up.
Honestly I don't really care whether you see Greece as a crappy country or not since I'm not Greek. However, IDK why you're defending Northern European countries so much, when they are also to blame? You know the money given to Greece and other Southern European countries have to come from somewhere...

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Very interesting article from the Washington Post ...
""
buddha_boy
2:59 PM EDT
As an American of Indian origin - I do not have a dog in this European 'fight'. That said, having lived in Europe for many years - I am intimately familiar with the continent's history."

Read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ed4_story.html

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 07-16-2015, 01:23 PM

602 posts, read 496,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Honestly I don't really care whether you see Greece as a crappy country or not since I'm not Greek. However, IDK why you're defending Northern European countries so much, when they are also to blame? You know the money given to Greece and other Southern European countries have to come from somewhere...
Yes, and the Northern European countries brutally forced Greece into borrowing money, and forced the Greek people into living beyond their means.

Love that backwards logic. Incredible.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
I didn't even know Angry Birds is developed by a Finn!
And the St. Louis Gateway Arch is also designed by a Finn. Though we might not be on everybody's radar, we have achieved something more than just saunas and forest industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe