Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 10:24 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
There were documentations in TV about Germans buying houses at the Plattensee due to the Muslim immigration, other buy houses in Czech Republic, of course this is only on a small scale, but it might become more and in 30 years Germany most likely is more of a third world country than Hungary. I'm thinking about moving to Austria or Saxony.
Austria is a very prosperous country, same as Germany. Saxony is still Germany, and much more prosperous than Hungary.

I agree with your concerns, BTW. I am German-born living in the U.S. and every time I go home, I feel the Germany I know is disappearing. I was walking through Mannheim a few months ago and didn't hear German for 15 minutes. Köln, Mannheim, Stuttgart and Frankfurt feel like foreign cities. Where are the Germans?

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy. If I retire in Germany it will be somewhere rural. Probably the Moseltal, around Cochem. We have family agricultural land around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
How can Germany - which always has been multicultural - be disappearing?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:20 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How can Germany - which always has been multicultural - be disappearing?
Germany has not always been multicultural. People in previous generations rarely moved from their villages of birth.

In previous centuries, really only France was highly multicultural. After the French Revolution, birthrates plummeted, yet France was the wealthiest country on earth, so there was strong demand for labor. This led many Europeans to immigrate to France.

Germany had the opposite issue. Germany had very high birthrates, but was poorer than France. This led many Germans to emigrate, to the New World, or to Eastern Europe. This is why there are tens of millions of people in North/South America with German background, and this is why millions of Germans had to be relocated from Eastern Europe/Russia after WW2.

In contrast, there was very little French emigration to the New World, and very little emigration to other parts of Europe.

My family has roots in the same villages going back 500 years. No one traveled or moved back then. My great-grandparents never traveled outside of their immediate area of Germany. People wouldn't even visit Frankfurt, less than 100 km away. It was like another planet. They never met a Jewish person. The only gypsy they saw would go through the villages every few months, selling junk. You wouldn't even meet a Protestant person in that part of Germany.

Germany was so un-diverse that people had never seen a non-European person. My grandmother used to tell me stories about carnivals that would have racist exhibitions of "people from Africa" in jungle exhibits. They were just German people with their skin painted. This was back in the 1920's and 1930's. No one had seen a black person so people believed the exhibit was really showing people from Africa.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:13 PM

137 posts, read 95,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Germany has not always been multicultural. People in previous generations rarely moved from their villages of birth.

In previous centuries, really only France was highly multicultural. After the French Revolution, birthrates plummeted, yet France was the wealthiest country on earth, so there was strong demand for labor. This led many Europeans to immigrate to France.

Germany had the opposite issue. Germany had very high birthrates, but was poorer than France. This led many Germans to emigrate, to the New World, or to Eastern Europe. This is why there are tens of millions of people in North/South America with German background, and this is why millions of Germans had to be relocated from Eastern Europe/Russia after WW2.

In contrast, there was very little French emigration to the New World, and very little emigration to other parts of Europe.

My family has roots in the same villages going back 500 years. No one traveled or moved back then. My great-grandparents never traveled outside of their immediate area of Germany. People wouldn't even visit Frankfurt, less than 100 km away. It was like another planet. They never met a Jewish person. The only gypsy they saw would go through the villages every few months, selling junk. You wouldn't even meet a Protestant person in that part of Germany.

Germany was so un-diverse that people had never seen a non-European person. My grandmother used to tell me stories about carnivals that would have racist exhibitions of "people from Africa" in jungle exhibits. They were just German people with their skin painted. This was back in the 1920's and 1930's. No one had seen a black person so people believed the exhibit was really showing people from Africa.
you're making an interesting point here. in as late as the 1930s, a northern european negro/arab would be unthinkable. absolutely repulsive. and here we are, 80 years later, and this sick, perverted view of race has been normalized. heck, even my parents remember the first time they saw a black man on the streets - and they're born in the early 60s ffs!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM

324 posts, read 467,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolleOlle View Post
you're making an interesting point here. in as late as the 1930s, a northern european negro/arab would be unthinkable. absolutely repulsive. and here we are, 80 years later, and this sick, perverted view of race has been normalized. heck, even my parents remember the first time they saw a black man on the streets - and they're born in the early 60s ffs!
Yes, it is interesting how quickly a population can be... persuaded

Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolleOlle View Post

did it traumatize them for life?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM

137 posts, read 95,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post

did it traumatize them for life?
ha!ha!ha!. i'm just stating facts, sorry if it offended you.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:17 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Sweden to become a Third World Country by 2030, according to UN

Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Germans aren't going to migrate to Hungary. Hungary is like the third world compared to Germany.

Germans won't even move to East Germany, excluding Berlin. You think they're going to move to Debrecen or Szeged? LOL
That's taking into account the present. Things will likely get much worse in the next several years. Another 1 Million migrants are expected to enter Europe this year, about half will end up in Germany and the rest stuck in Italy. Also the German Government is planning on allowing family reunification which will double or triple the migrant population. Hungary lacks the economic oppurtunities. Most moving there are retiring but I could see wealthier Germans move to Austria, Switzerland, and Denmark.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
That's taking into account the present. Things will likely get much worse in the next several years. Another 1 Million migrants are expected to enter Europe this year, about half will end up in Germany and the rest stuck in Italy. Also the German Government is planning on allowing family reunification which will double or triple the migrant population. Hungary lacks the economic oppurtunities. Most moving there are retiring but I could see wealthier Germans move to Austria, Switzerland, and Denmark.
A couple of things.

First of all, this discussion is racist BS anyway. Yes, racist. That's all it is.

Second of all, the German government isn't "planning on allowing family reunification". Family reunification is part of asylum. It's not new, it's always been available.

Triple huh? LoL. That's complete BS. We all know it will decuple.

Third of all, there are no statistics backing up your claim that more ethnic Germans are moving out. And there aren't even any statistics on that. That would be illegal. Only by citizenship, and there's also no increase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe