Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

[quote=Luckyd609;46770913]Wow, no offense but you have no idea what you are talking about. No one can gain 5 pounds in a 24 hour period. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound, that is excess calories so you need to subtract your resting metabolic rate.

/QUOTE]

Well this is untrue in a vacuum. My son gains/loses 5 pounds and more in a day. It is mostly water, or maybe entirely water. He goes running wearing a plastic bag to make weight, then drinks tons of gatoraid before a race. A day after the race, he is back to his previous weight (or close to it). He lost 15 pounds in a day once. I am not sure he gained it all back in a day, but certifiably at least 5 pounds of it. Not a healty practice, but it can be done.

Cutting carbs does cause you to shed water BTW. At least if you cut to almost none. You store less water and have to drink more through the day. It would make sense that eating a ton of carbs would cause you to store more water, at least if you were on a no/low carb diet before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
[quote=Coldjensens;46795271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wow, no offense but you have no idea what you are talking about. No one can gain 5 pounds in a 24 hour period. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound, that is excess calories so you need to subtract your resting metabolic rate.

/QUOTE]

Well this is untrue in a vacuum. My son gains/loses 5 pounds and more in a day. It is mostly water, or maybe entirely water. He goes running wearing a plastic bag to make weight, then drinks tons of gatoraid before a race. A day after the race, he is back to his previous weight (or close to it). He lost 15 pounds in a day once. I am not sure he gained it all back in a day, but certifiably at least 5 pounds of it. Not a healty practice, but it can be done.

Cutting carbs does cause you to shed water BTW. At least if you cut to almost none. You store less water and have to drink more through the day. It would make sense that eating a ton of carbs would cause you to store more water, at least if you were on a no/low carb diet before.
I was referring to a pound of fat, not water. Two entirely different things. Your son is not losing fat.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
[quote=Luckyd609;46795754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I was referring to a pound of fat, not water. Two entirely different things. Your son is not losing fat.
Oh. That is not what you wrote.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
[quote=Coldjensens;46800138]
Quote:

Oh. That is not what you wrote.
I thought it was obvious. Water weight doesn't really count as its fluctuates.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Pasta is not fattening. Eating too much of it is. Tons of Italians eat pasta all the time and they are not fat. How do you explain that? They are not digging ditches either. SHeesh!
Italian women over 35 are generally 5' tall and 5' wide. Italian men are genetically thin. They don't have to dig ditches. But any other European eating pasta? Just visit an Olive Garden and look around.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
I did this three months ago to stem a continuing weight increase. It isn't expensive as I'm not buying the snacks, starchy veggies, processed foods I once loaded up on.

I have real, whole food, no potatoes, root vegetables, bread, potatoes, corn products, sugary drinks, desserts, cookies, chips. etc.

I'm on the ketogenic diet and limit my carb (usually) every day to 20grams. I am literally NEVER hungry and never have cravings for the junk I once ate. People generally think this is a weird diet and must be bad for people, but it isn't for me.

People wonder why obesity has gotten so wide-spread (pardon the pun) but this started going up when the new food pyramid was accepted. Turn it upside down and you have a keto diet. My body burns fat for fuel, not sugar.

It's not for everyone, I was skeptical but once I hung in their for a couple of months, I saw and FELT the difference, I will never go back to eating the "typical and accepted" American diet.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I did this three months ago to stem a continuing weight increase. It isn't expensive as I'm not buying the snacks, starchy veggies, processed foods I once loaded up on.

I have real, whole food, no potatoes, root vegetables, bread, potatoes, corn products, sugary drinks, desserts, cookies, chips. etc.

I'm on the ketogenic diet and limit my carb (usually) every day to 20grams. I am literally NEVER hungry and never have cravings for the junk I once ate. People generally think this is a weird diet and must be bad for people, but it isn't for me.

People wonder why obesity has gotten so wide-spread (pardon the pun) but this started going up when the new food pyramid was accepted. Turn it upside down and you have a keto diet. My body burns fat for fuel, not sugar.

It's not for everyone, I was skeptical but once I hung in their for a couple of months, I saw and FELT the difference, I will never go back to eating the "typical and accepted" American diet.
I totally agree. When I eat this way, I feel better and am never hungry. After about a year of it, I could no longer stay on the strict ketogenic diet, mainly because breakfast became problematic. I couldn't face another egg.
Now, I dwell in a "low-ish" carb place. I eat root vegetables, whole fruit or berries, and an occasional pile of pasta. I still avoid sugar most of the time.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
I don't like to "cut out carbs". It gives me constipation and headaches. I do like low carb diets (under 80g of carbs/day) and carb cycling. I'm currently eating 100g of carbs or lower a day and having one day a week where I load up on carbs (200+ grams) and I do it with carbs like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. I find that having some carbs makes me feel more satiated than going full on keto and it cuts the bill a bit. But when I was trying to go low fat and bought cartons of egg whites, that started to get really expensive. I used to think I need a lot more protein than I really do and ended up spending too much money on protein (I used to have 170-190g/protein a day, now I only have 120-140g/day). Since I have cut down on protein I don't think my grocery bill is that much more than how the average person eats since I don't eat out or drink and I don't buy snacks or treats. This is what I have in my pantry: canned and dried chickpeas, canned fish, dried beans, quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice, nuts, rice cakes, almond milk, and none of that is really too expensive except for quinoa. I never buy junk food because I know my work place will give out the occasional sweet treats so I just wait to satisfy my sweet tooth then.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I don't know how many grams of carbs I eat. Probably at least 200g per day. I don't care, either. I like a variety of food, including carbs and I don't have the inclination to obsess over macro-nutrients. I eat the classic three section plate - carb, veggie, meat. I consume daily treats/novelties that contain sugar. Once or twice per week I eat food that can probably be considered "junk" or "bad". I went all out on Easter.

With all of this, I lost 60 lbs and the weight has remained off. Period. For the most part I eat in moderation and give myself permission to splurge. While I do eat organic/high quality meat and veggies/fruits, and a variety of grains/tubers (couscous, rice, sweet potatoes, etc.) groceries aren't particularly expensive since I don't follow any regimen. I'm far happier this way and feel great.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Eggs, cheese, fresh veggies, almonds, chicken, beef, pork, turkey, coconut oil, etc.

No, it's not more expensive. You are no longer buying the crap - no cereal, bread, pasta, rice, chips, cookies, crackers - the items whose packages keep getting smaller, but the prices keep increasing! Also, without the sugar, the cravings stop and you no longer have the need to snack. My grocery bill has decreased.
The same for me. Junk food is psychologically addictive and your sense of sweetness and saltiness demands more of it, the more you eat. If you cut out all sweets and salty foods, within 10 days, your taste for them will be re-set. Then, the foods you thought were normal before, will taste excessively sweet and salty. Only then, will you realize how much sugar and salt you were taking in. And for the first time in years, the real taste of your foods can be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness