Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You cannot outrun your fork.

Cut out refined sugar, reduce carbs.
This will work but is not sustainable for most people. Low carb can also lead to a higher fat diet with the increased focus on meats. A carb based diet that is very low in fat is a much healthier and sustainable diet. The body needs carbs and is designed to burn them. i have tried every diet under the sun and the plant based whole carb diet is by far the easiest I have ever done. I don't have endless cravings for sugar and I really don't miss meat or cheese. I didn't expect that to be the case but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I understand exactly what you're saying, and it's an interesting question. So no, I'm just going to feel hungry all the time.

OP, you may be lucky enough to be able to say forget it, I'll just eat what I want and just be 10 pounds overweight. If I were like that, I'd do that too. No so, though.

And that leads me to a favorite joke:

Question: What do I have in common with with a Victoria's Secret model?
Answer: We're both hungry.
I just came across your post and it made me sad. You don't have to feel hungry all the time. Would you consider a plant based diet. I'm a dude who was a meat eater and now is plant based. I can tell you if I am hungry I eat until full. Sometimes seconds and thirds. If interested in trying something new check out the movie forks over knives or maybe better yet what the health. Both backed by research and physicians.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
That's like saying Women like chocolate and Men like sports. Not everybody fits the same generalization.

But, yeah, I'm fat because I eat too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Fat people don't want to take responsibility. They like to blame it on thyroids, no time to workout, busy schedule, etc etc etc.

Fat people should just admit they like food too much to eat less of it. No, it always falls back to everything but eating too much.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Stress it seems can make someone fat or harder to lose weight ..

Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I don't know if I've quite given up yet, but I'm at the highest weight I've ever been. I'm 53, post-menopause, and my motivation to diet and exercise seems to have completely disappeared. I went through my clothes recently, and separated anything less than a size 6, because I'll never be a size 4 again. Honestly, I doubt I'll even be a size 6, but there's some residual hope that won't let me get rid of those clothes, so... I'm probably fooling myself, but to just accept that I'm going to stay this weight, give or take 5 lbs, for the rest of my life, is too depressing to contemplate. When does self-acceptance mean that you're giving up, though? I have yet to figure this out.

I'm overweight (okay, fat!), because I eat the wrong things and I don't exercise. That's pretty much it. I can make all of the excuses I want, but that's what it all boils down to.

I did lose 20 lbs several years ago, but it wasn't easy. I was hungry most of the time, unfortunately. I've kept some good habits, though, like not drinking soda anymore and limiting myself to one cup of coffee per day, because I load it up with half and half and sugar. I like salads, but I should probably make my own dressing. Why does commercial salad dressing have sugar in it?? In fact, why does most processed food have sugar in it? Ketchup, spaghetti sauce... It's ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Some people retain weight more easily than others, we don't all have the same metabolism.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some people retain weight more easily than others, we don't all have the same metabolism.
Metabolism is such as excuse. Have you (or anyone ) had an official metabolism test performed by a doctor or wellness center? I have.

When you get tested, you can see the amount of calories your bodies need and can come up with an accurate amount of calories needed to create an appropriate caloric deficit.

See, there are solutions to determining and working with whatever metabolism you have in order to lose weight. Google "metabolic rate testing" for your city/area to find a provider.

People are probably going to roll their eyes at this post but instead of seeing the problem, why not look for solutions?

My test was like the video below. They give you a printout of how many calories you need to maintain or lose weight. I've also had a Bod Pod test to find my body fat percentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTiGoUQQlpk

Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
No, I will never accept being grossly overweight and being out of shape and excusing it on age, busy work schedule, etc.

I realize not all of us can have 3 percent body fat with rippling six packs, but there is a huge difference between having a slight belly but still exercising and eating right, and letting yourself go like a slob and being 20, 30 pounds plus overweight.

I don't accept fat acceptance. I am not saying we should insult or mock those who have weight problems, but at the same time I am not going to condone a lifestyle that is TOTALLY under the control of each individual person. Eat bad foods, don't exercise, have a bad lifestyle, you reap what you sow.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I realize not all of us can have 3 percent body fat with rippling six packs, but there is a huge difference between having a slight belly but still exercising and eating right, and letting yourself go like a slob and being 20, 30 pounds plus overweight.
Dude, as much as I agree with your overall point, I believe you've crossed a line calling people slobs. You're being highly disrespectful and you've become part of the problem. How can you say people shouldn't be insulted and then you turn around and insult people?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
At 48 I went on WW and lost 40 pounds. I am 5'4 and I got down to 119 lbs and stayed there for quite some time. I am now 55 and weigh 130 and I am fine with that weight. I had already tried the low carb route. For me it was a no go. I also knew that being in my late forties I could forget about the 2 pound per week loss and be happy with a 1 pound per week loss. Because I pushed my exercise goals and worked out like a mad woman, (which I enjoyed) I ended up averaging 1 1/5 a week. I also had the freedom to eat what I liked like bread and pasta and I drank wine too! I was just smart with my calories.

Woman after a certain age are going to have to face the fact that it will be harder and take longer to achieve weight and fitness goals. But they can be done. And there is no one diet that works. The key is to find an eating plan that fits in with ones lifestyle and can continue on after that weight loss is achieved.

130 is perfect for that height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness