Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Of course my experience doesn't apply to everyone. However, it applies to many. I've heard the stories of people putting on a brave face when inside they were miserable. Were they all lying?

Jade, how overweight are you?

Maybe my message and point can only be understood by those with over 100 lbs or more to lose and are feeling it.

It's your life. It's your body. You get to choose. You can choose to be fat. If it works for you, then fine. If it doesn't, then make changes. Just be honest with yourself as to why you're making the decision.
"Fat" doesn't have a firm definition does it? For some people, they thing "fat" is anyone who wears a double digit size. Other people think "fat" = need a seat belt extender on a plane. Others think of "fat" as confined to one of those mobility carts.

I have no clue what each person means when they say fat, so I use the more broad term "overweight.

I don't have a very firm target weight, I'd like to lose some, but it is really just to open up some more clothing brands. I'm a size 16 now. I have been a size or so bigger.

I'd like to have a lower percentage of body fat, but who knows what that may mean on the scale, so basically I'll lose whatever I lose, being mindful of what is a realistic change in my lifestyle. Maybe the number is 40 pounds, maybe it is a bit more. That would put me at the smallest weight since age 12.

In terms of current quality of life, I am not having issues, so it isn't related to that. I have pushed around the same 20# since I was 22ish, so for me my current size is "normal." It is unrealistic for me to be a size 4, my thighs are too big. .

I've also learned I have a demonstrably low metabolism, so it is going to be a lot harder for me to lose weight than other people. I focused on my eating habits a long time ago, and it had no impact on the scale. I am making even more tweaks now, but there are definitely no easy changes available for me. So I'll just see what happens.

On the other hand, my sister and I are shaped similarly, and have had similar max weights. But she ends up with problems at my size, so she is trying to lose weight. She has knee issues and back issues since she is a bit bustier than I. For her, she feels better a little smaller. But she was also much smaller than I so when she gained, it was a big difference - I haven't shifted. I was a chubby teen and chubby adult. She was a thin teen and then got chubbier as she got older. She recently lost weight (not completely intentionally, she had major surgery, due to a serious diagnosis) a few months ago, so she is feeling better and it was a happy side effect for her. And also kept her optimistic about the diagnosis, she sees it as a positive impact. But she has tough health path ahead.

But I guess to distill it down to my number one message. I really really hate the overemphasis we put on weight. This encourages bad behavior. I'd like to see a focus on healthy habits at every size. American culture definitely doesn't promote a good relationship with food or exercise. Everything is focused on you having a "socially acceptable" appearance and not anything real. So if you eat cotton balls or do the master cleanse, it is worth it since you have amazing selfies. Heaven forbid you eat the right stuff and exercise for energy or some other benefit. Everyone should exercise and eat well.....even if it doesn't cause weight loss. And you should do these things, not to lose weight - but for other inartistic motivations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
I agree with you. However, when people eat right and exercise, the by product is usually some weight loss.

I don't care about clothes size. I care about quality of life, mobility, and health (metrics - BP, % body fat, A1C, etc ).

Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
I agree with you. However, when people eat right and exercise, the by product is usually some weight loss.
Maybe. But not necessarily enough to be "acceptably thin." It is a well known fact that many people regain weight they lose. Encouraging someone to lose 10-15% of their current weight is realistic, but may also leaving them overweight as well.

Quote:
I don't care about clothes size. I care about quality of life, mobility, and health (metrics - BP, % body fat, A1C, etc ).
My numbers are good to great, I have healthy BP, A1C, cholesterol, triglycerides and heart rate. I am exercising more to help with strength and flexibility - and the goals there are not weight loss related, because these tins should be permanent. So I can focus on BF%, but there is no pressing health concern.

I am doing the things that help keep BP, blood sugar and cholesterol in check, and everyone should do that.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I ask because I've recently upped my workout routine to challenge myself to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm a person who doesn't fat shame, brow-beat, or criticize people due to their size but for me, I can never accept being fat personally or even overweight which is what motives me to work out and I'm late middle-aged.

I travel a lot with work which involves staying for six weeks or longer across the country so I can't always maintain the same exercise schedule. Of course, some days I'd rather stay in bed instead of getting up at 6 am to run when I'm at home or walking four miles in a hilly area after dinner. I've remembered over the years that many of my friends have given up on working out. One associate even said "forget about it, I'm just fat" meaning she is tired of working on her body and is at peace with remaining fat. Has anyone here done the same? What pushed you to do so?
it is kind of funny to see people pretend that giving up on exercise is allowing themselves to be fat. they are playing a mental game with themselves where they excuse getting fat because they dont want to exercise. that is fake because it isnt the lack of exercise thats causing them to grow, its the food they are stuffing in their mouths.

people can convince themselves of anything.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
Once again, I have come across a reason to stay away from fitness forums. Just like all the other ones, you have the judgmental folks who decide that, because it worked for THEM, it works for everyone. And those who it doesn't work for are fat and lazy. If you are actually trying to motivate people rather than feeling superior and judging, maybe you would see more people who hang in there. But it gets old being told you are fat and lazy. Or that every single person's metabolism is exactly the same. Or that if you logged every single thing you ate, you'd lose.

Guess what? I've been fat and I've been thin and I have never judged someone who wasn't the same size, fitness level or weight as me. I was envious of those who were larger than me who were out there walking, running or working out at the gym, wishing that I had as much drive as they do, even though I work out regularly. I was also envious of those who were total muscle, amazing to me, even when I wasn't fat, I was not driven enough to work hard and build those muscles. I have run 3-5 miles several times a week and been so impressed with those who were larger than me who could run even further than I could. Or those who I would follow at the gym and have to lower the weights because I wasn't as strong as they were.

Maybe try to encourage and not discourage.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
Quote:
I agree with you. However, even if a person was on a strict keto diet, they still cannot take in 5k calories a day and expect to lose weight. They have to balance the chemistry with their caloric intake levels. The body needs a reason to turn to its stored energy (fat). It needs a caloric deficit.

Sorry, but do you have a 90 day journal. The body is designed to be able to manage changes in weight. Slow metabolism is just a popular excuse. Have you had your metabolism tested? How do you know it's slow? There could be many reasons why you didn't lose weight.
Yes, I kept a journal and have had a full endocrinology work -up. Although I have hypothyroidism, on medication all my values are normal. Still once I hit my 50s the weight has simply continued to rise. I work out HARD, at least one hour a day (2 days weight training, 3 days cardio/aerobic) keeping my heartbeat up the entire time. During ninety days of eliminating sugar, white carbs, alcohol and essentially living on protein, veggies and fruits, I lost 3 pounds. Within giving up the diet they were back within days. I'm not obese, I'm 15 pounds over my BMI for my height. But, those pounds are simply not coming off. And, despite what folks say, my appetite did not diminish the entire time I was dieting. I felt hungry most of the time, regardless of how much protein and veggies I consumed. Metabolism does change significantly with age. Unless you are willing to drastically alter your diet for the long haul, most are going to continue to gain some weight every year.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Maybe try to encourage and not discourage.
It's funny. My message is that anyone can achieve their goals and yet some people hear that as...judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Yes, I kept a journal and have had a full endocrinology work -up. Although I have hypothyroidism, on medication all my values are normal. Still once I hit my 50s the weight has simply continued to rise. I work out HARD, at least one hour a day (2 days weight training, 3 days cardio/aerobic) keeping my heartbeat up the entire time. During ninety days of eliminating sugar, white carbs, alcohol and essentially living on protein, veggies and fruits, I lost 3 pounds. Within giving up the diet they were back within days. I'm not obese, I'm 15 pounds over my BMI for my height. But, those pounds are simply not coming off. And, despite what folks say, my appetite did not diminish the entire time I was dieting. I felt hungry most of the time, regardless of how much protein and veggies I consumed. Metabolism does change significantly with age. Unless you are willing to drastically alter your diet for the long haul, most are going to continue to gain some weight every year.
You have a legitimate medical condition which may make things more difficult but not impossible. What was your daily caloric intake? Are you sensitive to sodium? You mentioned cutting out certain carbs. Have you considered cutting out all carbs for 2 weeks to jump start your body?

Last edited by charlygal; 07-18-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I ask because I've recently upped my workout routine to challenge myself to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm a person who doesn't fat shame, brow-beat, or criticize people due to their size but for me, I can never accept being fat personally or even overweight which is what motives me to work out and I'm late middle-aged.

I travel a lot with work which involves staying for six weeks or longer across the country so I can't always maintain the same exercise schedule. Of course, some days I'd rather stay in bed instead of getting up at 6 am to run when I'm at home or walking four miles in a hilly area after dinner. I've remembered over the years that many of my friends have given up on working out. One associate even said "forget about it, I'm just fat" meaning she is tired of working on her body and is at peace with remaining fat. Has anyone here done the same? What pushed you to do so?
This is the truth: When I became invisible to everyone (upon the arrival of geezerdom), I stopped caring about my weight. When I retired and moved to the 'burbs, I lost 50 pounds without trying. I eat what I want when I want it, but my appetite has diminished. Also, my portions are much much less now that I do not eat out. If working on your body does not help, work on your portions...

Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I see people, not even 40, hobbled by the massive amount of excess weight they are carrying around.......some of them already in fatcarts, sad situation.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
The best way to lose wait is to stop eating, point blank. Go on a fast. The longest fast ever recorded was 382 days I believe.

It's a lot safer than you think, but obviously check with a competent health professional first, preferably one that understands fasting.

THE BEST person in the business is Dr. Jason Fung. You can find his blog here:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

If you are overweight and you've tried everything, PLEASE go to his blog. In particular if you've already tried eating less and moving more. The reason it doesn't work is because your basal resting metabolism slows, so eventually despite eating less, you may find it gets very difficult to keep the weight off. You'll notice that it can be effective, as it is with shows like the Biggest Loser, but if you look a little deeper you're realize they've never had a reunion show. Why?

Because people gain the weight back. With fasting, your metabolism doesn't slow, but it does take fortitude and dedication. Try reddit fasting for support. They might be able to assist you.

Not only will fasting cure your weight loss, but it will also give you discipline in other parts of your life. You'll realize you don't much.

Good luck and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness