Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:44 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,693,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Stress it seems can make someone fat or harder to lose weight ..

I retired 3 weeks ago and have lost 5 lbs. I've said for many years that stress hinders something in our bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,545,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I retired 3 weeks ago and have lost 5 lbs. I've said for many years that stress hinders something in our bodies.
It's not a secret. Stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol aids in the retention of belly fat.

Can Stress Cause Weight Gain?

Stress reduction and stress management should be a part of ones weight loss plan.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,419,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Metabolism is such as excuse. Have you (or anyone ) had an official metabolism test performed by a doctor or wellness center? I have.
If we all have the same metabolism, then you wouldn't need to get that test done.

I'm not making an excuse. I'm saying we all different metabolic levels. Somehow you read that as "excuse" for being overweight. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:20 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,693,422 times
Quote:
It's not a secret. Stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol aids in the retention of belly fat.

Stress reduction and stress management should be a part of ones weight loss plan.

Did yoga for a couple of years and it sure helped my body, but it did nothing for the stress. I don't have that problem now.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:58 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,592,044 times
Default I drench my salads in dressing - not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I like salads, but I should probably make my own dressing. Why does commercial salad dressing have sugar in it?? In fact, why does most processed food have sugar in it? Ketchup, spaghetti sauce... It's ridiculous.
That's one of the questions I ask too. Why are they putting sugar in foods that don't need sugar? They even add sugar to dried fruit which is redundancy. I guess I should actually put pen to paper and start writing food manufacturers advocating that they stop putting sugar, corn syrup, and wheat (according to what Charlygal stated in one of his/her posts) to everything that we eat when it's not needed. It may not change anything immediately but over time if others put pressure on them as well, they'll have to stop or at least not put as much sugar in foods as they currently are.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,545,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That's one of the questions I ask too. Why are they putting sugar in foods that don't need sugar? They even add sugar to dried fruit which is redundancy. I guess I should actually put pen to paper and start writing food manufacturers advocating that they stop putting sugar, corn syrup, and wheat (according to what Charlygal stated in one of his/her posts) to everything that we eat when it's not needed. It may not change anything immediately but over time if others put pressure on them as well, they'll have to stop or at least not put as much sugar in foods as they currently are.
If you want good food, buy fresh/raw ingredients and do your own cooking. The makers of processed food are concerned with making the most money by using the cheapest ingredients. Humans generally crave sugar, fat, and salt. These are cheap ingredients to put in foods.

Just read your labels. Don't expect processed food companies to make "health" food.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
Quote:

Actually,dieting causes stress on the body.

Whether through cutting calories,starting an exercise program,or cutting carbs.

Cutting carbs causes "carb flu".

Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,602,392 times
Never had a weight issue even after four babies in my early 20's but when I hit per-menopause late 40's my whole system kinda went haywire and for the next two years I pack on 60 pounds, this was alot for someone 5'3 and small boned & body type petite, this was a first in my life and I was feeling the effects across the board ... I was overwhelmed and I'll admit I almost accept it as a fact of ageing, gaining weight becoming sickly, diseased etc, etc! Today 8 years later I got my body back and been able to maintain a healthy weight without much effort but it required a major lifestyle changes one of 70% diet and 30% working out by combining these two together the weight came off and has stay off. I switch to an all organic plant base diet, no fast foods or processed foods, GMO, chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, etc, etc... I learned to do all my own cooking/baking and took up gardening, plus took up running as well and love it, I run 5 days a week along with added lightweights over a years ago! At 54 I'm in great health and feel alive on no medications still have all my parts... My advice don't give up, love you enough to fight for your life! Basically everything we've been taught about ageing is wrong, weight-gain, sickness, diseased, medicated and cancer are not normal parts of aging process! Peace Out~~

~Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.~- Margo Anand
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone here ever gave up - decided to accept FAT?-20229461_10209081511583620_6578645554675430307_o.jpg  

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No, I will never accept being grossly overweight and being out of shape and excusing it on age, busy work schedule, etc.

I realize not all of us can have 3 percent body fat with rippling six packs, but there is a huge difference between having a slight belly but still exercising and eating right, and letting yourself go like a slob and being 20, 30 pounds plus overweight.

I don't accept fat acceptance. I am not saying we should insult or mock those who have weight problems, but at the same time I am not going to condone a lifestyle that is TOTALLY under the control of each individual person. Eat bad foods, don't exercise, have a bad lifestyle, you reap what you sow.
I would not call those guys who are 20 to 30 pounds overweight but are bodybuilders overweight.

Someone who is 5ft 8in ,220 pounds, and with 18% bodyfat is healthier than someone who is 5ft 8in , and 150 pounds with 35% bodyfat.

Weight is just a number. Body composition is a more important barometer of health.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,590,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I would not call those guys who are 20 to 30 pounds overweight but are bodybuilders overweight.

Someone who is 5ft 8in ,220 pounds, and with 18% bodyfat is healthier than someone who is 5ft 8in , and 150 pounds with 35% bodyfat.

Weight is just a number. Body composition is a more important barometer of health.
I agree with this. Some people cannot comprehend this simple fact. There is no "ideal weight". It really depends on your body composition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness