Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, due to my sleeping disorder :/
Your sleeping disorder prevents you from getting up one hour earlier? Does it affect other parts of your day? Since you're in maintenance, I'm sure you can find ways to turn your workouts into family time. Biking, hiking, etc. Kids are watching TV? You can do a dumbbell routine in the same room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,197,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I agree with this. Some people cannot comprehend this simple fact. There is no "ideal weight". It really depends on your body composition.
Well, that's true in most "normal" individuals; however, it's very hard to say that professional bodybuilders are healthy even though they may have a desirable body composition for some, due to the amount of hormones and steroids in their body that cause adverse side effects.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,526,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your sleeping disorder prevents you from getting up one hour earlier? Does it affect other parts of your day? Since you're in maintenance, I'm sure you can find ways to turn your workouts into family time. Biking, hiking, etc. Kids are watching TV? You can do a dumbbell routine in the same room.
Yes it does. And I'd rather work out in a gym, which has far more, better equipment for me to use. It would cost me a good deal of money to replicate what's available to me in a gym, especially since that gym is only $10/month. While I use dumbbells extensively, I also use other equipment. That and the fact that I work out better in a gym environment. My husband injured his back and has no real desire to work out. Taking my kids to the gym isn't spending time with them and there's homework and other things that need to be done. Lastly, when I train, I am solo. Meaning i am wholly focused on my workout. My kids can't "hang around" in the gym while I train.

Thanks, but I've already gone through a number of scenarios. Ultimately I need to work out more efficiently and trim it down. I lift weights, and that is an ever increasing goal so I'm not really in maintenance. The point was that there is some personal sacrifice and there's no getting around that. We can all come up with solutions on paper. Real life dictates otherwise.

Last edited by riaelise; 07-26-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 02:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,588,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Well, that's true in most "normal" individuals; however, it's very hard to say that professional bodybuilders are healthy even though they may have a desirable body composition for some, due to the amount of hormones and steroids in their body that cause adverse side effects.
Well, yeah, I wouldn't say it's healthy to be a steroid monster walking around at 300 lbs with 5% body fat..

Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,250,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
These words really hit home. While I am not that extreme, I religiously work out and find myself ever more time constrained. After being overweight for so long and finally getting my body back, I am hesitant to accept being even "somewhat overweight". BUT...it comes at a cost and I have to figure out if I want to continue paying the price, which is less time with my family. My family has been supportive because they know a healthy Mom is a good thing but still...I already work outside of the home for 8 hours, commute for 2 per day, walk the new dog, and still try to find time to work out, spend time with the kids and spouse AND somehow fit sleep in there. it's hard..very hard. I'm one of those people who do well diet-wise when simultaneously working out, they both complement each other. The minute I stop working out, the arthritis pain will start to kick in and then it's probably back to Ding Dongs and daily Chinese (ok, a bit of hyperbole and my body couldn't physically stand a junk food diet anymore, but still...). The one thing I liked about being overweight was the time factor but the resultant health problems ultimately made the decision for me and I haven't looked back. When I look in the mirror, I see the year's worth of hard work and it compels me to continue. But I must find compromise and I'm looking into more efficient workouts or shorter duration workouts.
I hear ya. Ever since I went back to work full time, workouts have been very sporadic. I'm up at 5:30, drag the kids to day care, 45 minutes each way to commute to work and back, get home at 6:00 to cook and serve dinner, hang out with the family, make sure everyone showers before bed, make breakfast and lunch for the next day, shower, then to bed by 10. Weekends are packed with social events and all of the stuff we can't get done during the week. I even have a decent set of weights at home, but I'm too damn tired to use them at night.

If it wasn't for my good eating habits and walking up and down 9 flights of stairs each day, I don't even want to imagine how I'd look.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,519,677 times
forget the scale - don't get on it for months....just try to adjust a few eating habits (eliminate soda/diet soda for example) and walk around the block every day...baby steps....you'd be surprised at the how the habit develops and perhaps you up your game to walking fast, running, biking...worked for me.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,246,513 times
What motivates me to stay trim is when was the last time you saw a really old fat person? My weight will bounce some but I'm just too active to gain much, ever. I rode over one hundreds miles this weekend.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,519,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What motivates me to stay trim is when was the last time you saw a really old fat person? My weight will bounce some but I'm just too active to gain much, ever. I rode over one hundreds miles this weekend.
yes, motivates me as well to see men my age overwt and out of shape - goal is not to become an old overwt dude, but an active, old guy who is physically fit.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 AM

5,203 posts, read 3,130,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Actually,dieting causes stress on the body.

Whether through cutting calories,starting an exercise program,or cutting carbs.

Cutting carbs causes "carb flu".
True, but that carb/sugar withdrawal phase only lasts about a week. After the sugar addiction has released its hold you will experience what it feels like to be "normal" -- it feels wonderful.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 3,066 times
i decided i didnt want to be fat. i was tired of being tired. tired of hurting. tired of not being able to do things with my husband.

every one of the 100 pounds i lost was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness