Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

"Starvation diets" lower your metabolism, making weight gain more likely in the future. Guess I need to add "how long did you keep it off" to my list of queries!

Of course that depends if you mean eating few calories (CICO) or just delaying eating (IF).

Last edited by otterhere; 03-03-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Found a cardio routine I enjoy and omitted alcohol.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm curious by what methods everyone is achieving this amazing weight loss... Care to briefly chime in (or maybe that's a subject for another thread)?
I'm on Phentermine and water pills and gym everyday for about 1.5-2 hrs. No alcohol and keeping an eye on my diet.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
"Starvation diets" lower your metabolism, making weight gain more likely in the future. Guess I need to add "how long did you keep it off" to my list of queries!

Of course that depends if you mean eating few calories (CICO) or just delaying eating (IF).
"starvation mode" is a myth perpetuated either by people who dont want to drastically cut consumption or that want to over-complicate dieting. you will likely perform less activity if you are starving so calories burned will be reduced but our bodies dont magically go into a mode that prevents calories from being burned.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
so my wife the other day says i should switch from beer to something else because she is seeing a little belly action developing. my wife is certainly my biggest critic. i think im actually in a pretty good position right now and think ill be in a great place come summer. there is only an inch to pinch if i bend forward.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I keep hearing people say "starvation mode is a myth," but I never see the science behind the statement. I avoid it by mixing it up; six low-calorie days, but on the seventh, I pig out, giving my metabolism a kick in the pants (along with IF and exercise every day).

Old 03-03-2021, 10:25 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
270 lbs: Before pandemic
230 lbs: Today, after 5 months of dieting

6'3", M, 44

Still losing weight, currently targeting next 10 pounds over next 10 weeks, depending on how many plateaus and how long they will be (usually less than 3 weeks).

Only 5 more pounds for the 100 pound loss from my max 325 about 3-4 years ago.
Good job

Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
I keep hearing people say "starvation mode is a myth," but I never see the science behind the statement. I avoid it by mixing it up; six low-calorie days, but on the seventh, I pig out, giving my metabolism a kick in the pants (along with IF and exercise every day).

So if that is working for you, then great!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I gave up alcohol and eat 1600 calories a day. On the 7th day I eat what I want. I have always walked 2-4 miles a day. I kept the weight off for 20 years doing this and quit about 10 years ago. Now if out I have a non alcoholic beer which is pretty low calorie.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:13 AM

575 posts, read 339,516 times
Quote:

3-4 yrs ago, I was 325 lbs. When I dropped to 270, I kept it for 2 years just fine, as I completely reset my diet. And I kept the weight despite eating enormous amount of carbs each day in the bread (I ate a lot of bread).

I had two weight gains, when I dropped below 250, but that's because I got back with my exGF and ate the horrendous cr*p that she ate (all-you-can eat china buffet, daily pizza, etc.). I will never ever do that to myself again, as no woman is worth that. But, it's life experience

So, it's not like I am going to start eating cr*p after I am done dieting. I will still cook meat with lots of veggies, have salad 3-4x a week and limit sugar and carbs drastically (as I am now).

I plan to figure out the lowered metabolism by slowly adding 250 calories to my diet every 2 weeks and letting my body to adjust slowly. I won't just jump from 1,500 to 2,400 overnight - as that would instantly result in an immediate weight gain.

But, the last time I was 230 lbs, I was 19 yrs old, so I actually don't really know how it'll be. I just know I need to be careful with the calories once I get happy with final weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness