Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Where have you been able to swim laps every day? Most gyms/indoor pools closed (unless you're in an outdoor pool climate, but even most OUTOOR pools didn't open last summer)...
Nothing locked down at my TX location.(Use HC everyday, I'm the only swimmer...) but... Covid spread is about 8x greater than my WA location. Lots of weather issues have kept me in TX enough to swim daily. (fixing weather destroyed rental homes). Texas is very keen on killing people (~4000 / yr in traffic accidents; 45,000 from Covid (will equal Vietnam casualties in 14 months rather than 14 yrs)). They have a very powerful and wealthy funeral lobby, I found that out when promoting low cost Funerals.coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Y'know, I took it as a sign to get going on a project I'd been putting off. ...
So the answer is, "Way too much, now down to a sensible level with another 30 lbs or so to go." That will happen by the Spring or early Summer, I'm not worried about it as I can ride motorcycles and do everything else just great again. ...(my guess is Fall 2021) I'll be ready to engage more in life.
I find losing weight is great for additional motorcycle performance, as well as my 52 HP car, really appreciates a lessor burden! Glad I don't ride a burro anymore...Burro is glad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was 207 and now am 157. I used the time to get myself in shape since people that are overweight didn’t do well with Covid.
That is really an excellent response and diligent effort on your part. Congrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 03:09 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was 207 and now am 157. I used the time to get myself in shape since people that are overweight didn’t do well with Covid.
I think a lot of people (at least not the lazy ones) decided to get out in the fresh air and get in better shape, by riding bikes or just walking.
That alone should have helped people lose weight and get in better shape.
Obviously with someone like yourself, your motivation was pretty intense considering such a large weight reduction.
Congrats

`

Old 03-02-2021, 03:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
I'm down a few pounds. I now make it a priority to walk half an hour 5x a week.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,267,693 times
The same

Old 03-02-2021, 08:05 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
A year ago (Pre-Lockdown Pandemic) = 178 lbs

Now = 186lbs

Since I stopped going to the gym I lost consistency in my workouts.
Before = 192lbs
After = 207lbs

Mostly from becoming a Covid Drunk and being inactive over the winter.

I actually had covid over New Year's. I didn't drink alcohol for two weeks, walked daily, drink tons of water, and ate mostly fruits and crunchy veggies because meat was gross when I couldn't taste it. I actually lost down to 190. But as soon as my smell and taste returned, the beers and rich foods returned with a vengeance.

I just joined the local gym today and had a decent workout notwithstanding. When my wife's shoulder heals from what most likely will be surgery, I hope that we can get back in CrossFit shape together.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,661,049 times
Dropped about 15 pounds in first 3 months of pandemic...literally didn't go to grocery store for 3 months in the lockdown. Elderly mom has a lot of stuff in pantry/freezer and does meals on wheels...was still not easy. Do a little cooking for mom and special needs brother but get tired of it...discovered McDonalds drive through breakfasts, etc...and a hole in the wall Chinese food place nearby where I go at least three times a week for take out (mom likes the soup there). We now have gained weight...about 15 pounds, so trying to get more active again (even though gym still closed) and am ready to get leaner and meaner and conquer the world soon once all vaccinated...still taking precautions of course.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 PM

575 posts, read 339,610 times
270 lbs: Before pandemic
230 lbs: Today, after 5 months of dieting

6'3", M, 44

Still losing weight, currently targeting next 10 pounds over next 10 weeks, depending on how many plateaus and how long they will be (usually less than 3 weeks).

Only 5 more pounds for the 100 pound loss from my max 325 about 3-4 years ago.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
That is awesome! Congrats and don't give up! What's your end goal weight and do you have a "date" you'd like to achieve that by?
My original goal was 200. That's not based on anything other than it's a weight I remember feeling cute at 30 years ago. I'm hoping to hit that number by June, and if I'm not too weary of the process, I'll go another two months and see if I can hit 185 by my birthday. At that point I'll still be technically overweight, but it may be a good spot for me (I'm 5'7", muscular and "big boned" ). At that point I'll step back and take a fresh look and see if more loss is needed, or if I can shift into maintenance.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I'm curious by what methods everyone is achieving this amazing weight loss... Care to briefly chime in (or maybe that's a subject for another thread)?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:52 AM

575 posts, read 339,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm curious by what methods everyone is achieving this amazing weight loss... Care to briefly chime in (or maybe that's a subject for another thread)?
A good old fashioned starvation diet (hunger for about 6-10 hours per day) coupled with walking 3 hours every day.

Of course, transition to normal diet will have to be very slow and careful.

You'd be surprised how much more calories you burn when you walk at -20F, fully exposed to the full force of the wind, up here in the Dakota's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness