Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 11:32 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

I'd rather lose in such a way as to NOT lower my metabolism and therefore NOT have to curtail calories for the rest of my life, but if you're happy to do that, it's all good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,703,254 times
Fake pandemic has created more unhealthy people. That's what quarantining and keeping people scared does. Idiot governors.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:06 PM

575 posts, read 339,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd rather lose in such a way as to NOT lower my metabolism and therefore NOT have to curtail calories for the rest of my life, but if you're happy to do that, it's all good...
There's also another, often forgotten, benefit.

My stomach shrunk. I most definitely don't need to eat same quantity as 5 months ago, for dinner.

Yes, I may be hungry 2 hours after the dinner, but that's because I walk 15-20 kilometers per day now (recent change), which is a lot compared to just sitting at home.
That's the reason why I dropped 5 pounds in just last week, as I upped walking to 3-4 hours a day.

When I start transitioning, I won't start eating MORE per meal, I just will eat more often and in smaller quantities.

My understanding is that such approach should keep the stomach same"size", correct?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:43 PM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Fake pandemic has created more unhealthy people. That's what quarantining and keeping people scared does. Idiot governors.
I wasn't scared...but I WAS bored!

Old 03-04-2021, 03:39 AM

882 posts, read 767,469 times
Quote:
I'm curious by what methods everyone is achieving this amazing weight loss... Care to briefly chime in (or maybe that's a subject for another thread)?
Weight Watchers

Old 03-04-2021, 08:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
I keep hearing people say "starvation mode is a myth," but I never see the science behind the statement. I avoid it by mixing it up; six low-calorie days, but on the seventh, I pig out, giving my metabolism a kick in the pants (along with IF and exercise every day).
have you seen the science behind the idea of "starvation mode"? i doubt it since its just been manufactured. the body doesnt have different modes, it runs program. it burns calories to provide you with the energy needed to conduct work. you do less, it will burn less. you do more, it will burn more. you provide less calories, it will burn fat/muscle.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so my wife the other day says i should switch from beer to something else because she is seeing a little belly action developing. my wife is certainly my biggest critic. i think im actually in a pretty good position right now and think ill be in a great place come summer. there is only an inch to pinch if i bend forward.
now my kids have jumped on the "call daddy fat" bandwagon. i have been gaining some mass, lifting heavy and sure i little more soft in the belly. but the point is to gain some muscle then cut as we get closer to summer. guess ill start reducing calories now. not majorly just enough to not be called fat by my family. ill also have to shave soon, dont need to be called a gorilla also.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:09 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I need my friend's daughter around (she is 2500 miles away).

"Auntie, you got fat." "Auntie you are not fat anymore."

That kid would tell like it was.

Her mom would lose her mind, but it didn't bother me, cause it was what it was.

But yeah, summer is coming so I'm watching my calories and exercising like crazy.

It was understandable why I was out of shape last year, but I SAW those pics, that ain't happening again. lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM

575 posts, read 339,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you will likely perform less activity if you are starving so calories burned will be reduced but our bodies dont magically go into a mode that prevents calories from being burned.
That's not so simple. What about a plateau ?

I had 3 full-blown plateaus during those 5 months, so there's still something else going on that actually prevents the body from burning muscles/fat.
Each one was between 10-20 days. I don't know exact timing, because I only weigh myself once a week, since from past I know it's extremely demotivating to stand onto the scale 18 days in row and not see it change - hence weighing just once a week.

And you can't blame it on less activity either, as I gotta walk my Husky 4-5x a day, regardless of weather or anything else.

If anything, I increased my walking to accelerate the weight loss. Guess what - plateau still occurs, despite zero change in diet and being really hungry 6-10 hours a day. No cheat day, no nothing.

I am insanely curious as to WTF exactly is my body running on during a plateau, for over 14 days (last plateau) without as much as a pound of a drop.
Especially considering that during those 14 days, I had at least 4-5 days (every ~3rd day I skip breakfast and eat once in 24 hrs), where I had negative calorie intake, as during those 4-5 days I skipped breakfast and had just a dinner (~800 calories). But still walked off about 1,200 calories those days.

BTW, my BMR is around 2,400 cal / day, though it's unclear what that number is right now after 5 months...

Old 03-05-2021, 08:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Last time I hit a plateau I had to do HIIT. Had a gym which made it easier, push sled umpteen times, stair jumps, pull ups, sit ups (etc.), rinse, repeat. I HATED it, but it worked. lol

I think people also need to look at any Rx they are taking, I was taking one that ballooned me up to my highest weight ever, I hate 1200 calories (weighed and logged) and worked out and nada, zilch...

I do not believe it is ALWAYS CICO, most, but other factors can effect your weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness