Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,543 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what your opinions are about men shaving their body hair. I am normally hairy, but I recently shaved all my body hair for the first time, for a photo shoot for a friends clothing company modeling shorts.

I've gotton mixed reactions from people about it. Some people react like it's great that I did it, they've said things like "Why don't more guys do that?" or "That looks so much better and cleaner."

Others have looked at me with an expression of confusion, "Why did you do that?", "I would never do that to myself." etc. It seems that women like it, and men react to it like it's wierd or unnatural. Some people even seem to think that only gay men shave thier bodies, however I am not gay.

Personally, I think it's much cleaner and better looking. It seems like women are more attracted to it too. I've also realized that when it's hot outside, having all that extra body hair just feels warm, sticky and nasty. I might just keep on shaving it.

So what is you alls opinion on this? It seems like there's a certain stigma in our society that "real men" don't do it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 PM

73 posts, read 346,743 times
I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I've always loved hairy men but I'm old fashioned. If the people you hang out with like it that would be a reason to keep doing it. I'm sure it's got to be cooler in the summer.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,379 times
I like a little so it doesn't look like I am dating a minor that has not gone through puberty of course but this thing of looking like a yetty or Big Foot, I can't take that.

I think you might get better results with waxing through or even laser treatments.

My Ex was so hairy it was awful...I would find his body hair all over, he shed almost as much as the cats. When he had no clothes on, it looked like he was wearing black hose...

Old 07-08-2007, 02:20 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I'm curious as to what your opinions are about men shaving their body hair. I am normally hairy, but I recently shaved all my body hair for the first time, for a photo shoot for a friends clothing company modeling shorts.

I've gotton mixed reactions from people about it. Some people react like it's great that I did it, they've said things like "Why don't more guys do that?" or "That looks so much better and cleaner."

Others have looked at me with an expression of confusion, "Why did you do that?", "I would never do that to myself." etc. It seems that women like it, and men react to it like it's wierd or unnatural. Some people even seem to think that only gay men shave thier bodies, however I am not gay.

Personally, I think it's much cleaner and better looking. It seems like women are more attracted to it too. I've also realized that when it's hot outside, having all that extra body hair just feels warm, sticky and nasty. I might just keep on shaving it.

So what is you alls opinion on this? It seems like there's a certain stigma in our society that "real men" don't do it. Thanks
You're going to itch like crazy when it starts growing back.....

Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
The majority of young guys shave their chests and abs (and back if need be). As such, there is little to no gay stigma associated with men shaving their bodies amongst men and women I know. Shaving, trimming and plucking is pretty common for guys in their 20s and 30s. Just watch any sort of reality show like Survivor and compare the guys in their 20s and 30s to the older men and you'll see. Similarly, many women in these age groups view a large amount of body hair as unattractive, and more and more women are expecting "smooth".

In my opinion, to each his own. On some people, it looks good and on others, not so much. I personally don't shave my body hair. I have in the past and probably will in the future if I feel like it, but in general, I'm too lazy with the upkeep. I'm also not that hairy to begin with so it's not really a pressing issue with me. My roommate in college used to shave his arms. I thought that was a bit weird but I've heard of other guys doing the same, especially those who are very into fitness because the hair hides muscle definition. I know of a few guys who shave their armpits as well. The general trend though amongst guys is to shave the torso, trim the nether regions, and leave the rest natural.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,439 times
I think half of the women like it and half don't. The bad thing when you shave is meeting a girl that likes hair. I guess you have to wait till it grows back before you call her. Where as, if you meet a woman that likes "smooth and shiney" all you have to do is shave and hope for the best. Hope she wasn't just kidding.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
I can't think of anything more upsetting than at a romantic moment to find myself stroking a body that has a day or two of old stubble on it. Be prepared to shave before every date.

I understand that Italian men find the hairy legs, etc sexy. I must have Italian blood in me. My husband's hairy body, wet from a shower or a swim, is a real turn-on.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:41 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I can't think of anything more upsetting than at a romantic moment to find myself stroking a body that has a day or two of old stubble on it. Be prepared to shave before every date.

I understand that Italian men find the hairy legs, etc sexy. I must have Italian blood in me. My husband's hairy body, wet from a shower or a swim, is a real turn-on.
Now THAT'S a real woman!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
I wish my husband would shave his back hair. It's not bad but it's noticeable. I like his chest hair. He uses a razor to shave the top part of his chest so it doesn't "stick out" when he wears t-shirts. I totally understand but it's annoying when the stubs come out!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Quote:
I wish my husband would shave his back hair.
He can't REACH it, LOL.

Mine had a swatch "mowed" down his chest for surgery...I preferred his there not shaved, Thankfully it does grow back. His is a reddish blond tho so it's not overwhelming. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty