Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I believe there is a psychological component to this question of the pants woman compared to the dress and skirt woman.

In my childhood, teens and early 20s (the 60's 70s and 80s) it appeared to my young mind that women who were strong and independent, in charge of their own lives so to speak mostly wore pants. Women who wore pants were often looked at as more "practical" more "in charge"

My view on this has evolved, though. With the advent of cell phones, Automobile Club, mother's helpers, On Star and a host of other services and companies that lend help and support to women, it is not necessary to wear pants to project power, or even to get practical things done. Power is also a woman being able to summon the help you want or need with a tablet, cell phone and credit card in age we find ourselves in now.

Women in dresses and skirts as more delicate and religious? I suppose it depends on the culture, the setting or the society. I myself have attended functions wearing very beautiful feminine dresses and skirts and..while there I sipped bourbon on the rocks. To me, stereotypes exist to be dispatched with.

No women who PREFER them or only wear them.
Usually they are very feminine or really religious.

I saw this teenaged girl in the grocery store the other day and was literally wearing a style dress from like the 50's, long sleeves, all the way up and around her neck and down to her ankles, it definitely didn't look like anything made in this decade. It was like 70's plaid with mustard yellow and brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah more than likely but out in CO there was this huge group of women they didn't cut their hair or wear pants. Like the duggars.

I moved back to the south and I've seen a few groups of women out like that. The super long skirts and really long hair.
Really? I have never noticed a HUGE GROUP of those women here. No more than anywhere else. In fact, I'd venture to say, they represent a much smaller group than women who wear jeans, shorts, tank tops whatever. But then again, it may be that I'm not scrutinizing people I don't know, to label them.

Quote:
Have you never touched an iPhone?

It's all I post from, it's screen is large yet at the same time you try reading back on a screen that keeps wanting to automatically zoom back to your current point instead of let you read back.

I also just tried typing wea and it doesn't finish it as wear because it could also be weather or something.

And no I am neither hence the mini skirt and short strapless summer dresses.

I answered the question honestly, I said women who hardly wear pants remind me of delicate religious women. That's just the image that pops in my head, like those religions where the women never cut their hair or wear pants.

You seem to take too much stock in what I say. That's so silly.
Agree.

I prefer pants over dresses but I do have dresses to wear when the occasion calls for it. Overall, I find pants to be more comfortable and practical.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Really? I have never noticed a HUGE GROUP of those women here. No more than anywhere else. In fact, I'd venture to say, they represent a much smaller group than women who wear jeans, shorts, tank tops whatever. But then again, it may be that I'm not scrutinizing people I don't know, to label them.

Agree.

I prefer pants over dresses but I do have dresses to wear when the occasion calls for it. Overall, I find pants to be more comfortable and practical.
I think you were the one who lived near me, when I worked down in CR they came into schmalmart all the time, like daily, all with super long hair, no make up and ankle length 90's denim skirts. I see it a lot here too.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
I think you were the one who lived near me, when I worked down in CR they came into schmalmart all the time, like daily, all with super long hair, no make up and ankle length 90's denim skirts. I see it a lot here too.
So they constitute a "huge group"? Are you trying to say there were more of them than those who dress like you? Really? I doubt it. They were just more noticeable to you because you find them distasteful. I bet they just go about their business. They are wearing what they choose to based on their beliefs. Just. Like. You.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
No women who PREFER them or only wear them.
Usually they are very feminine or really religious.

I saw this teenaged girl in the grocery store the other day and was literally wearing a style dress from like the 50's, long sleeves, all the way up and around her neck and down to her ankles, it definitely didn't look like anything made in this decade. It was like 70's plaid with mustard yellow and brown.
Eh... I vastly prefer to wear dresses (and lots of 50s style - fitted bodices with circle skirts to my knees) to anything else and I am far from religious or particularly feminine. My attire is the most feminine thing about me - my hobbies (computer programming, rock climbing) tend to put me in a lot of male company.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
I can't stand wearing skirts, I have the ugliest calves in the world though. I don't care to wear dresses either. But most of what I do, it wouldn't really fit into my lifestyle, not even work, etc. I've never been a dress-up person, I prefer jeans and t-shirts.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Quote:
That's when I'd send out my own memo that women expected to wear skirts to look feminine stems from religious beliefs that women don't wear pants and men do and that I was athiest and that his little rule impinged on my amendment rights and that if he pressed us to wear skirts or dresses that I'd be reporting him to someone higher.
Women are not feminine-looking when they wear pants.

That's a fact.

Women who are against wearing dresses are generally feminist liberals, or they're the rare type of woman who looks silly in a dress.

That you'd "report" a person is very strange. You obviously don't believe in proper dress codes. Do you wish to be a man, or to look like a man, or to think like a man? After all, to rail against feminine clothing indicates that you're likely someone who is of a feminist, anti-traditional female mindset.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I have not worn a skirt since 1987 and don't own any nor would I consider even wearing anything like that. It's not ''me'' in the least.

My clothes don't make me ''feminine'' or not. I will always be ''feminine'' because I am a female, not a male.

In some cultures/time periods males wore/wear skirts. They are still masculine because they are males.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
It's been common my entire life for women to wear pants. I can think back to my Kindergarten and other teachers in the 70's. They all mostly wore pants it seems. Same with the children.

So my original question stems from the fact that wearing skirts is less common these days. In fact it has been for a LONG time.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Women are not feminine-looking when they wear pants.

That's a fact.

Women who are against wearing dresses are generally feminist liberals, or they're the rare type of woman who looks silly in a dress.

That you'd "report" a person is very strange. You obviously don't believe in proper dress codes. Do you wish to be a man, or to look like a man, or to think like a man? After all, to rail against feminine clothing indicates that you're likely someone who is of a feminist, anti-traditional female mindset.
Yawn. Please ignore the sound of trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty