Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times

Advertisements

In the city, people are very image/brand/status conscious. There's also a lot of emphasis on fitness and working out. People tend to wear flattering clothing to show off their bodies. They also tend to follow fashion trends.

I always scratch my head whenever I read somewhere that the USA is one of the fattest countries on the planet. Where are all these supposed obese people? Certainly not in the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:30 PM

490 posts, read 660,501 times
Great responses, so many ideas. To me it seems like money buys beauty.

Beauty (it's present definition, imo): adhering to a constantly changing image identified as attractive by pop culture, advertising executives, and social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Which 5 states haven't you been to, OP?
Alaska, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee & Kentucky.

Thankfully 4 of those are bordering each other
Just need to do a good ol' road trip.

Last edited by IM90046; 03-22-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: :D

Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
In the city, people are very image/brand/status conscious. There's also a lot of emphasis on fitness and working out. People tend to wear flattering clothing to show off their bodies. They also tend to follow fashion trends.

I always scratch my head whenever I read somewhere that the USA is one of the fattest countries on the planet. Where are all these supposed obese people? Certainly not in the big cities.
I think it depends on where in these big cities you're looking. Go into a more affluent area of a big city and you're likely to see fit, attractive people. People who have access to resources to help them be more attractive (nice clothes, gym memberships, quality whole foods, etc) are more likely to be seen as attractive. Those people are also more likely to be more confident because they KNOW they are attractive. Confidence helps make a person become more attractive.

I'm from Chicago and trust me, there are poorer areas there where people are definitely NOT attractive because they don't eat well/exercise and it manifests physically (being sloppy/overweight) and in how they carry themselves (lack of self esteem/confidence).

Old 03-22-2015, 12:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Go into a more affluent area of a big city and you're likely to see fit, attractive people. People who have access to resources to help them be more attractive (nice clothes, gym memberships, quality whole foods, etc) are more likely to be seen as attractive. Those people are also more likely to be more confident because they KNOW they are attractive. Confidence helps make a person become more attractive.
Today with the Internet, and Free delivery, anyone in the nation has the same ability to have resources as in the biggest cities.

The big difference between small towns and big cities.

Big Cities. The women in affluent areas live the "Keep Up With The Jones" attitude. They simply have to have the latest styles of clothes, hairstyles, and makeup. It is simply one upmanship. Even a real ugly woman, can look good if she puts on enough war paint as they call it. Clothes to hide their bodies and make them look real good. Hair always done up to the nines. Makeup all the time. One reason there are so many debt collectors in the cities, trying to collect on the bills these women run up trying to out do one another. A lot of fake people.

Small Towns. The women are more real. You see the real woman, not the one hiding her real self from the world with latest fashions, hairstyles and latest make up styles, that cover up the real woman. The small town woman, is not afraid to be herself as she knows everyone in town and they know her. They have known her since she was a small child, so she is not trying to impress strangers, to be one of the in crowd as in the cities. But when there is a dress up event, these woman put on the right clothes, have their hair and nails done, and put on their makeup. When they are ready to step out, they can match any of the woman in the big cities. The rest of the time, they are the real woman, not trying to be something they are not which is so prevalent in the big cities.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:33 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,234,050 times
access to quality fashion, hair and nails folks, dentists, and fluoridated water!

Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

294 posts, read 372,448 times
Interesting comment on fluoridated water. Isn't Portland, referenced earlier in the thread, the largest municipality in the US that doesn't fluoridate its water?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
I grew up in a small town. Generally kids look fine but then as adults people get very bad habits. a lot of drinking, especially beer. Bad diets. Those american sports bar style restaurants with huge portions of "wings" and burgers and extra large beers are the most popular. Pretty much everyone over age 25 is fat. In fact there is more pressure for people to conform and 'eat up' than there is to stay slim. In large cities, it is the opposite. There is more pressure to be thin, and there are many choices for healthy eating.

In regards to fashion, in smaller towns there is simply nowhere to buy cool clothes. There's target, and wal-mart, and maybe a place to buy sports related clothing, hunting clothes, and old lady clothes. There's also no real pressure to look nice. Everything is functional. There's something to be said for comfort, but an overweight person in baggy jeans and sweatshirts just isn't going to look very good.

It's changed a lot over the years. Back when I was growing up in the 1980s there were some bad styles in vogue, but older people looked classy. Now even old people just wear sweats, baggy jeans, sweat shirts, ball caps, and cheap sports wear. Basically everyone wears the same thing: jeans, sneakers, a sports cap, a sports related sweatshirt or realtree camo sweatshirt, sports logo t-shirts or golf shirts. Men, women, young, old, white, hispanic, etc, all dress alike.

I actually think people in smaller towns are more uptight about clothing than in the city. If you are wearing the wrong sports team hat, or are wearing "Nike" instead of "Under Armour", someone will mention it. If you are wearing something other than a t shirt, golf shirt or sweatshirt, people think you are gay. My dad had extra clothes for me when I visited, so he wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with me at the golf course in my homosexual button down shirts. When I lived in a big city, nobody ever said anything about what I wore.

Last edited by tjasse; 03-22-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Fooled? If a fresh coat of paint is my idea of beauty then I am in no way fooled, fool.

Let me rephrase the question for you. Why do people have fresher paint in the city?

Let me ask you a question. I was outside of an Air Force Base, and found all the people neatly dressed in Uniforms, clean shaven, and short haircuts, unlike the people I see in my small town. Why do you suppose that is?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:05 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There are a number of reasons you tend to notice more beautiful people in cities. One reason is that there are simply more people. Another is that men and women in cities tend to dress in a way that flatters them, and yes some beautiful people come to the city for the same reasons everyone does--opportunity.
Exactly. More people, equals more competition and extra effort to stand out from the dozens of people next to you. The people are the same as people anywhere, adapting to their surroundings. Nothing more,, nothing less.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
you have yet to see a country girl in short and boot, lately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty