Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:53 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
ha ha I am a redhead and have white eye brows and refuse to color them.
I see mascara on your eye lashes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I don't really notice or look for this thing with people, I don't really care. I do wear makeup, but minimal. I prefer a natural look overall, but each person is different. I think anyone can look good without makeup if they take care of themselves right.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Hysterically ironic (and a little STUPID) that people come on the Fashion and Beauty thread to scold me about an observation I made on fashion and beauty.

Oh and...fwiw...I personally do not wear makeup every day and it is incredible how differently I get treated.

When I have my face on and hair did, I am the nice lady from down the road. When I don't, I am the crazy biatch from down the road.

Maybe its because I'm a little older but that's how much difference it makes, truly.

Absolutely indisputable that being nicely made up is part of good grooming for a woman in public, I didn't invent this and a billion dollar industry tells me Im right.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I doubt you are alone but I certainly hope you are in the minority. Not caring about makeup or following the latest fashion trends in hair or clothing is a long, long way from being sloppy, unkempt, or dirty. Very shallow, sorry.
Don't be sorry, it's your opinion and it's a free forum. Minority, majority view: I'm not sure. And I have the opposite opinion, as a Gen X single guy. I mostly date Gen X women; the whole older-guy / younger-woman thing strikes me in rather bad taste thus I'm not entirely sure how Millennials feel about all this in-general.

One of my Gen Y peers (vendor, Big Company) put on makeup the other day, and went from "presentable" to "attractive" with maybe 45 minutes' work on her part. I can't help noticing, though professional-to-professional that's where it ends. She has strong features and makeup softened the overall look. She's smart as two of her peers duct taped together, too, and pleasant to work with. Thumbs up!

Same token, when I dress like a well-bred man vs. the typical IT bum, my female peers look a little happier to deal with me. It's just a fact, subtle but real for a variety of reasons. Again, we don't act on it overtly, but it's just nice to know. It oils the social gears.

I personally don't care much if it's shallow, that's just how my corner of the world works. The Seattle general trend of "au naturale" just makes women look dowdy, IMO.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Absolutely indisputable that being nicely made up is part of good grooming for a woman in public, I didn't invent this and a billion dollar industry tells me Im right.
60 year old lady scientist gives zero effs about your billion dollar industry. She cares about science. That's the piece you are missing.

The fact that you chose to post on Fashion and Beauty just confirms that your outlook is shallow to be honest. Most people watching a scientist speak care about what they are saying, not what they look like.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
60 year old lady scientist gives zero effs about your billion dollar industry. She cares about science. That's the piece you are missing.

The fact that you chose to post on Fashion and Beauty just confirms that your outlook is shallow to be honest. Most people watching a scientist speak care about what they are saying, not what they look like.
and you, coming on Fashion and Beauty to scold someone?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
and you, coming on Fashion and Beauty to scold someone?
I didn't come here for an opportunity to scold, that was waiting for me when I got here. In reality, I read "New Posts" from time to time, without looking to see what forum they are in. Kudos for the catchy thread title!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I see mascara on your eye lashes
Hence, why I said eye BROWS....

Old 04-16-2015, 03:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Hysterically ironic (and a little STUPID) that people come on the Fashion and Beauty thread to scold me about an observation I made on fashion and beauty.

Oh and...fwiw...I personally do not wear makeup every day and it is incredible how differently I get treated.

I must agree. I would expect most of the people around this neck of the woods are shallow, not that I think that's a bad thing. I think anyone who is going on TV should try to be attractive if they can.

And yeah, I think you could get treated differently based on make up, which is why if I'm just going to McDonald's I'll throw my hair up, jeans, T-shirt, no makeup, but if I'm going to make a big purchase somewhere, or ask for assistance or a refund or something, I try to get a little more gussied up, expecting a better reception.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't come here for an opportunity to scold, that was waiting for me when I got here. In reality, I read "New Posts" from time to time, without looking to see what forum they are in. Kudos for the catchy thread title!
FWIW before I got a bit older I agreed 10000% with you.

Now however I find a female face WITHOUT any care or attention to be a sign of a dowdy and boring nature. Don't even get me started on greying hair!

About 1 in 100 women look FABULOUS with grey hair but the majority of us look tired, washed out, like we need a damn good bath.

Which brings me back to the scientist, in her dowdy mole colored outfit - how CLEAN is she in her work if her own personal appearance (on a prescheduled tv interview no less) is so low on her list of priorities?

I would say the exact same about a male scientist appearing on a tv show without combing his hair btw, and so most likely would you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty