Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I'm not a woman but I find it surprising that yoga pants are more comfortable than jogging pants/track pants (it just seems uncomfortable to be walking around with a wedgie all day) ?
So I was on the train Sunday. It was a nice day here, but still kind of coolish ~50 degrees. Anyway this young (~18) girl gets on the train. Not cute, not plain, but average attractive in a studious kind of way with glasses and a ponytail. She had one of those big sleeve satin baseball jackets on, but all she was wearing below was a pair of light gray yoga pants.There was four or five inches of bare midriff between the top (there wasn't any waistband) of the yoga pants (or whatever they were) and the bottom of the jacket. All conversation and activity on the train came to a complete halt, and never resumed while she was on. She had an amazing body, and she knew it. I am not sure why fabric stretched that tight would not simply go from peak to peak as it were, but that wasn't the case. Every valley contour was faithfully followed closely by the fabric, and the light gray color made sure that you didn't miss any important details. Even if physically comfortable, I can't imagine what kind of borderline personality one has to have to be mentally or emotionally comfortable, when every total stranger in eyeshot is reduced to speechlessness wondering, what exactly kind of bad girl you are? Every single day of the week I see women in yoga pants. 3x a week I am at the gym and see women in yoga pants. I don't write 200 words about it because it is a non-issue. Usually. This time was different. Knowing, understanding, the difference, I think, should be the point here.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So how do you do yoga with a tunic on? Seems like it would be difficult to move from lying down to sitting up with the tunic still under the butt.
Depends on the top! I have a bunch of longer tops that still stay in place. Depends on fabric and cut.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
So how do you do yoga with a tunic on? Seems like it would be difficult to move from lying down to sitting up with the tunic still under the butt.
Good catch---I meant that I wear long tunic tops/dresses with leggings for non-exercise. I do wear tank tops that hit at the waist for all exercise, including yoga, but confine this look just for the gym.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I suspect most people would agree that a modicum of common sense goes a long way. People come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and not all clothing are appropriate for all shapes and sizes.

This isn't just about women; it's also about men. Not every man looks attractive in a double breasted suit. Not every man looks appropriate in spandex bike wear.

Personally, I draw the line at the office. I don't care if it is casual Friday, I just don't find athleisure wear appropriate at the office.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I only wear capri leggings to run or work out (although I do sometimes stop and run errands on the way home from the gym) but I love my jeans.

Lately I have been bombarded by advertising from acquaintances selling leggings-- inviting me to legging parties, adding me to their leggings group on FB. It's not my thing so I decline but it's very popular in NY.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

I can't imagine what kind of borderline personality one has to have to be mentally or emotionally comfortable, when every total stranger in eyeshot is reduced to speechlessness wondering, what exactly kind of bad girl you are?

If the train was dead silent, how did you and the other passengers share your thoughts on this?

Or is that just what YOU were wondering about her?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

If the train was dead silent, how did you and the other passengers share your thoughts on this?

Or is that just what YOU were wondering about her?
You know exactly what he is saying. I have seen women in spandex/yoga pants and it looks like paint on a naked body vs clothes. Just a glance and you can see the shape up front and out back. If you as a female are not blind and can see in the mirror before you leave that the imprint of your genitals are showing , then you should wear a shirt that covers it up in public, vs having the shirt conveniently stop above the waste, you are wearing it for attention more than to be comfortable.

I had a coworker like this guy described. Not the cutest thing in the world and many said he was uneasy on the eyes, but a amazing body and she worse spandex pants everywhere and had a constant stream of guys approaching her. Granted she was a **** because many of those guys became successful in their goal, she still knew what she was doing.

Spandex may be comfortable, but if you have a really nice figure and decide your shirt will not cover it, just be prepared to get many stares and probably comments from men. Its no different than a man wearing spandex or biker shorts with a big bulge showing and women staring at it or making comments.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
We are in the car, so the person doesn't hear or see. Mostly they are in the grocery store parking lot. People often look (and act) their worst at the grocery.
I figured the people couldn't hear you, still don't see how you can say your husband is polite while trash talking women. But I guess you are right, some people act their worst at the grocery store.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I went to my gym this afternoon to do the treadmill thing. So I wore my usual "old fashioned" yoga pants. After having read this entire thread, I feared I would be hopelessly out-of-date at this gym, which is in an upscale area. Whew, not so! There were ~40 people there, most age 40 or much younger. I saw one YOUNG woman in the form fitting yoga pants and cute tee top. She had a great figure--no tummy or big butt. I saw 2 young women (probably about age 23) in leggings. Again, they were trim and had tees on (not one bra type top in the place). None of the young men were wearing the compression pants, etc.

Everyone was working out vigorously, sweat and all. Ladies, no need to run out and buy the latest. You'll look fine in your present attire.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:55 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Having read all 20 pages of this thread, it seems that the division here is between

A) Women who like the convenience and comfort of yoga pants, don't see them as particually sexualized, and don't really want to think about how sexualized they are in the minds of many men and women

B) Men and women who either like or dislike yoga pants because of how sexualized they are in their opinion

It seems like it's just a matter of whether one sees tight, thin, form-fitting clothing from the hips down as being sexual or not.

A poster earlier pointed out that many of her jeans were as much or more form-fitting than her yoga pants, and that's a fair point. The only difference here seems to be the thin and occasionally sheer nature of some leggings/yoga pants, which I think some women (and men) are uncomfortable with, whereas tight jeans seem to be pretty universally accepted as OK.
I think this is it in a nutshell. For myself, I see nothing wrong with wearing regular athletic capri/yoga pants with a shorter tank top, when they are thick, non-sheer and not revealing anything but the outline of my body. I love doing Zumba or dance classes (which is normal attire for dance) in these clothes. IF I ever wear the thin nylon leggings that tend to be a bit too sheer, I make sure I wear a long tunic top to cover my entire butt area so the leggings basically just show my legs.

I don't find a problem with people wearing cute, properly fitting athletic or leisure wear to run errands, etc. and I think most people don't either. However, those who wear the cheap, poorly fitting and semi-sheer tights-as-pants, especially in "nude" colors are going to invite judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty