Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times

Advertisements

With being off work with a poorly foot which needed to be constantly bandaged up, I was finding it very difficult to wash my hair under the shower. So I decided to try not washing it, at least until my foot has healed, and was amazed to find that, two weeks later, it's still looking good.

Has anyone else stopped using shampoo? Do you still use conditioner? I haven't been, but would like to know if I should do.

And how often do you rinse your hair through under the shower? I don't live in an urban area, so my hair never really gets dirty anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I can't go 24 hours without my hair getting stringy and gross. The "nopoo" movement is never going to happen for me.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Most people wash their hair way too much. Our hair produces more oils because we strip them away.

I try not to wash my hair more than 3x a week. My hair is very fine and shows oil easily, or I'd try to adjust it to 2x. My friend, who's hair is a different texture, can easily go a week.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
No way!!! Gross - my hair starts smelling "scalpy" (you know the smell) after two days. Three days and people could probably smell it in the elevator and it looks dirty and greasy.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:03 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
For about 3 weeks now, I've been washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner every other day. On the 'off' days, I only use conditioner.

Honestly, I CAN tell a difference in the condition of my hair, in the short amount of time that I've been doing it. It seems thicker, and has more volume, and doesn't seem as dry.

BUT...I also changed to a moisturizing conditioner, which might explain a lot of it.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
No way!!! Gross - my hair starts smelling "scalpy" (you know the smell)

No, I've never heard of that before. But everybody's hair is different.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
When I was working, it was wash & blow dry every day. Then, I am retired so it got cut down to 2 or 3 times a week. Then I got my white hair permed, & now I can go a full week in between washes, with it still looking reasonable, I need to wash my scalp, more than my hair, so I do need to do it at least once a week.

OP, speedy healing to your foot.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I have thick, dry, coarse hair and so I wash it with shampoo only about once every five days. In between if I want to freshen it up a bit I just use conditioner.

I have super healthy, very thick hair so I guess whatever I'm doing is working for my hair. Oh, I also don't use any coloring on my hair. Very few "products" other than argan oil. NEVER hair spray or gel or anything that has alcohol in it.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:21 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:
No way!!! Gross - my hair starts smelling "scalpy" (you know the smell) after two days. Three days and people could probably smell it in the elevator and it looks dirty and greasy.
Is hair supposed to smell like a chemical?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Most people wash their hair way too much. Our hair produces more oils because we strip them away.

I try not to wash my hair more than 3x a week. My hair is very fine and shows oil easily, or I'd try to adjust it to 2x. My friend, who's hair is a different texture, can easily go a week.
I definitely don't wash my hair too often at all. If I let it air dry (which I do when I am not working or on vacation), it is curly (on top of being shoulder length after a styled haircut) and still thick even at my age ('senior citizen'); I also do my own highlights which adds even more 'texture' to it. I could go 2 weeks easily without shampooing, rinsing and/or conditioner when I am working but then I use a wand to smooth it out.

Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with smelly "scalpy" hair, sick children definitely will have smelly "scalpy" hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty