Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yes, they are dangerous. None of that stuff should be shown. We know it exists and if you want to partake, partake, but it shouldn't be promoted publicly in the way it is.
Why not just wrap society in bubble wrap while we’re at it?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So no football, NASCAR, skiing, surfing, diving, horseracing....

Perhaps we should all sit in padded rooms eating nothing but salads.

Feel free. I'll choose to live.
The people doing those are professionals and wear protective gear and have years and years of training.

Quite different.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
There are some things plus size people cannot do, thus life can be less enjoyable for them. Things have weight limits.
it's interesting how many people are conflating "overweight" or "plus-sized" with "morbidly obese". Many overweight people can fit into airline seats and walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. Many fat women even wear standard clothes sizes. The fact that they're not thin doesn't mean that discrimination is okay, or that hyperbole along the lines of "she must weigh 400 pounds!" is warranted. As has been said, people who don't have perfect bodies buy clothes, and marketing to them is not about what individuals are attracted to.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-14-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
The people doing those are professionals and wear protective gear and have years and years of training.

Quite different.
No.

They're dangerous and showing it promotes danger.

You still haven't addressed the unhealthy habits often encouraged to achieve and maintain professional model weight, and it's impact on young women.

Advertising clothing for larger women isn't glamorizing and encouraging obesity, it is accommodating real people.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Quote:
These ads say it is ok to be fat. It is not ok. It's extremely unhealthy. It kills people.

if we're going to show fat people in ads, why don't we just show people smoking or doing drugs or drinking?

All these things are unhealthy and we should not be promoting them.
It's not quite as unhealthy as you make it out to be, at least not for many of the plus sized models (some of them are definitely morbidly obese, some are merely overweight, and some are actually at a perfectly healthy size).

However, why no outrage about promoting the unhealthy rail thin typical model body? Underweight is as unhealthy and actually even MORE so than overweight. Those girls are very commonly on drugs, smoking, and have eating disorders. They are absolutely, 100% promoting an unhealthy lifestyle...both physically and psychologically, but no one throws a fit about that.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Many larger sized women see ads for clothing featuring women who do not look like them and think, "I would like that, but its not for me."

Thus, clothing stores lose sales.

Clothing stores exist to make sales, so thay are advertising to their market, women of different shapes and sizes.

I don't see this as normalizing obesity as much as normalizing 'making a buck'.

Whether you "enjoy looking at fat models" or not is irrelevant, as advertising is not intended as entertainment.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It's not quite as unhealthy as you make it out to be, at least not for many of the plus sized models (some of them are definitely morbidly obese, some are merely overweight, and some are actually at a perfectly healthy size).

However, why no outrage about promoting the unhealthy rail thin typical model body? Underweight is as unhealthy and actually even MORE so than overweight. Those girls are very commonly on drugs, smoking, and have eating disorders. They are absolutely, 100% promoting an unhealthy lifestyle...both physically and psychologically, but no one throws a fit about that.
It’s a good question, one I see those outraged by plus size models have elected not to answer. But we already know why: because it’s socially acceptable to be thin at any cost. Even if a plus size model is healthier than a thin model who’s doing all sorts of unhealthy stuff to maintain a certain look, one is acceptable and the other is not. Health has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No.

They're dangerous and showing it promotes danger.

You still haven't addressed the unhealthy habits often encouraged to achieve and maintain professional model weight, and it's impact on young women.

Advertising clothing for larger women isn't glamorizing and encouraging obesity, it is accommodating real people.
Professional models come in all sizes. They reflect reality.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are there 500 lb models on ads in Target?
I was replying to someone else & something else.

Anyway, why do we even need stupid models for anything? I have yet to buy an outfit I saw someone wear in an ad or on tv.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post

However, why no outrage about promoting the unhealthy rail thin typical model body. Underweight is as unhealthy or MORE so than overweight. Those girls are very commonly on drugs, smoking, and have eating disorders. They are absolutely, 100% promoting an unhealthy lifestyle...both physically and psychologically, but no one throws a fit about that.
Agreed.

I'm a guy. I've been a weightlifter all my life, and the smallest I've been since college was about 5'7" 190 with around a 34" waist. That was when I also had a physical job.

Something like a Levi's 505 hasn't fit me correctly since I started weightlifting in high school. The only Levi's that are actually comfortable on me are the 541s, which are "athletic" cut, which extra room in the butt and thigh. I have a large rear end and thighs from years of squats.

A lot of the shirt cuts I see the slim male models wearing wouldn't even fit over my shoulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty