Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,133,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Let me correct that. Your 5'1" self would be expected to fit on the same length pants as an AVERAGE woman. I am an actual TALL woman, and we are the one group for whom there are absolutely NO brick and mortar stores for clothing. None. Zero. Zip. Not even in New York City.

Occasionally a line does produce pants in longer lengths, but that's it. If I need sleeves long enough, or a waist that doesn't land just under my boobs, I have a limited number of catalogs from which I can shop and pay exorbitant prices for a small selection of clothing.

My late best friend was 4'11", so I know it's hard for you guys, too, but you still have more choices than we do because there are a lot more of you than there are of us.

As you noted, that's not the case for men. There are stores and catalogs for tall and/or overweight men.
Thank you! People hear “tall” & they think “longer pants”.

Unless someone is incredibly disproportionate, being over 5’7” means longer necks & arms, wider shoulders, ribcage, longer torso, waist, wider hips, longer/wider feet & then yes, of course; longer legs.

It means jackets that you can’t reach forward in, 3/4 sleeves where you can’t bend at the elbows, high waist = waist, waistline = lowrise & lowrise = obscene. One-piece swimming suits are out, as are jumpers/rompers & bodysuits.

That’s one reason I dread losing brick & mortar stores; I will never be an actual size that I can just order.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 PM

79 posts, read 68,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you! People hear “tall” & they think “longer pants”.

Unless someone is incredibly disproportionate, being over 5’7” means longer necks & arms, wider shoulders, ribcage, longer torso, waist, wider hips, longer/wider feet & then yes, of course; longer legs.

It means jackets that you can’t reach forward in, 3/4 sleeves where you can’t bend at the elbows, high waist = waist, waistline = lowrise & lowrise = obscene. One-piece swimming suits are out, as are jumpers/rompers & bodysuits.

That’s one reason I dread losing brick & mortar stores; I will never be an actual size that I can just order.
I'm 5'8" with a long torso and broad shoulders (thanks, dad) and finding clothing that fits me right is hard! I'm not QUITE tall enough for the "tall" clothing, but most "regular" clothing is too short and wide for me.

Have you tried the "tall" stuff at Old Navy? I started ordering "tall" shirts, and they mostly fit me right. Then again, I'm actually not as tall as what their tall clothing is made for...so it's probably still too short for an actual tall person! How frustrating!!

Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,906,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Oh, really? I've been enjoying life at that size for about 30 years now. Given that my grandmother, who was larger than me, lived her entire life at 250+ pounds and died at age 89 and my father, who's also larger than me, is still ticking and in reasonably decent health at age 84, I don't expect to keel over any time soon. And shockingly, I travel both domestically and internationally, go hiking and swimming whenever I get the chance, and work out at my local gym at least 3 times a week.

Life doesn't stop just because a person is plus-sized.

Okay, good for you? Maybe some people's health is mostly immune to a lot of extra weight. For many others, that is not so. Also, the model is young, and most people gain weight into their 50's or so. You know obesity isn't a good idea for anyone.

If Target wants to carry very large sizes, fine. I don't even particularly mind a large model like that being used on the website, but not on the front page acting like it's a lifestyle choice.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,952,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Okay, good for you? Maybe some people's health is mostly immune to a lot of extra weight. For many others, that is not so. Also, the model is young, and most people gain weight into their 50's or so. You know obesity isn't a good idea for anyone.

If Target wants to carry very large sizes, fine. I don't even particularly mind a large model like that being used on the website, but not on the front page acting like it's a lifestyle choice.
So to translate, sure let’s make clothing in all sizes - so long as I never have to see evidence of their existence.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,027,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
And how is that ad and that model “acting like it’s a lifestyle choice”? By having the plus-sized model being shown alongside other, differently sized women, implying she’s an equal to them? By being on the front page instead of being hidden on some secondary or tertiary page where few people will see the photo? By daring to have the plus-sized model looking happy? By merely existing?

Guess what. Fat people aren’t going to hide in the closet because our appearance upsets you. And I guarantee Target is more interested in my big, fat wallet than my big, fat ass. As they should be: their goal is to sell merchandise. They’ve found that including more larger models in their ads helps do that, so you’re just going to have to learn to live with it.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,062,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This model looks to be around 400lbs. Maybe more, since I am sure she is very tall. https://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresse...vy/163042.html
She's 5'9, 40D bra, wears a size 1X. She does not weigh anything close to 400lbs.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,906,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And how is that ad and that model “acting like it’s a lifestyle choice”? By having the plus-sized model being shown alongside other, differently sized women, implying she’s an equal to them? By being on the front page instead of being hidden on some secondary or tertiary page where few people will see the photo? By daring to have the plus-sized model looking happy? By merely existing?

Guess what. Fat people aren’t going to hide in the closet because our appearance upsets you. And I guarantee Target is more interested in my big, fat wallet than my big, fat ass. As they should be: their goal is to sell merchandise. They’ve found that including more larger models in their ads helps do that, so you’re just going to have to learn to live with it.
In healthfulness, she's not equal to them or anyone in the normal adiposity range, period. Target is virtue signaling, for profit. It's probably inappropriate to have anyone modeling underwear on the front page of a general merchandise retailer. Nobody would put a man in underwear on that. Same with that model; most visitors will find the sight unpalatable, making the website less appealing and maybe cancelling out the benefit of the stunt. I almost equate what Target is doing with having models smoking cigarettes, which by the way don't give all their long-term users cancer.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-14-2019 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well you're probably not going to get that job guessing weights at the carnival. She's nowhere near 400. I'm a larger size than her, and I'm 285.
I agree Looks as though I don't have much of a future in the carnival weight guessing industry.

I CERTAINLY did not mean to imply that overweight or obese people "go naked", however when it comes to people who are medically overweight, this is a serious condition.

Do you personally think that the models available help you to choose clothes? That should be the point of models. The ones that I see, are of little help.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

This model looks to be around 400lbs. Maybe more, since I am sure she is very tall. https://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresse...vy/163042.html

In the link you posted, that model might be 250 pounds, even if she's six feet tall. Similar to this lady: https://www.mybodygallery.com/photos...4#.XIn2tyhKiUk

That website is a good way to see what different heights and weights look like.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,062,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In the link you posted, that model might be 250 pounds, even if she's six feet tall. Similar to this lady: https://www.mybodygallery.com/photos...4#.XIn2tyhKiUk

That website is a good way to see what different heights and weights look like.
The modcloth model is listed a being 5'9. But yeah, I was thinking she looked to be around 250.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty