Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 09:58 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times

Advertisements

Is there really even a fashion trend for jeans. I see people in so many varieties of cut I figure it doesn't matter. Or maybe it's an East coast vs West coast difference. New York vs Seattle.

I dislike the pleated front high waisted jeans. It's not that they look terrible on the right figure, it's more that they don't look as flattering as other styles. Flat front high waisted look good on women with small waists. It accents curves. And by curves I don't mean someone that's overweight. When I was growing up there were not so many over weight people, particularly young people.
A woman with less of a difference between waist and hip might be more flattered by a lower cut, someone else by a midrise. Just don't share muffin tops, please.

Unfortunately many people want to be trendy rather than sticking to styles that most flatter them. The fashion industry is only interested in creating trends so they can sell more clothing. They would rather you didn't wear what you were wearing last year because that means you aren't buying. As long as it looks good on the models they don't have to worry about the general public.

If you are sitting at a Starbucks watching people, both men and women, come and go, how many do you think are wearing clothes that look sharp, look bad, or are a nondescript in-between? How would you break the percentages down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 10:08 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I hate low-rise jeans. They never look good on me. I prefer high-rise jeans and even jeans with pleats. It's much more flattering for my body type.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:09 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Is there really even a fashion trend for jeans. I see people in so many varieties of cut I figure it doesn't matter. Or maybe it's an East coast vs West coast difference. New York vs Seattle.

I dislike the pleated front high waisted jeans. It's not that they look terrible on the right figure, it's more that they don't look as flattering as other styles. Flat front high waisted look good on women with small waists. It accents curves. And by curves I don't mean someone that's overweight. When I was growing up there were not so many over weight people, particularly young people.
A woman with less of a difference between waist and hip might be more flattered by a lower cut, someone else by a midrise. Just don't share muffin tops, please.

Unfortunately many people want to be trendy rather than sticking to styles that most flatter them. The fashion industry is only interested in creating trends so they can sell more clothing. They would rather you didn't wear what you were wearing last year because that means you aren't buying. As long as it looks good on the models they don't have to worry about the general public.

If you are sitting at a Starbucks watching people, both men and women, come and go, how many do you think are wearing clothes that look sharp, look bad, or are a nondescript in-between? How would you break the percentages down?

I really wish that euphemism would go away.

To your questions, I live in a beach town that gets lots of tourists. The locals are overwhelmingly in the "nondescript" category because they're very very casual. The tourists look fantastic! You can tell they put thought and effort into what they're wearing and even if they overdo the Florida look (hey I live here and I overdo it sometimes) they look lovely. Even the men are put together well, possibly with their wife's help, but I enjoy "people watching" the tourists.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:02 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,523 times
I thought low rise jeans looked SOOO good on the super skinny girls (and low rise bathing suits). I prefer a mid-rise. I have a short torso so "mom jeans" look ridiculous on me - and the super high rise is just not comfortable. I have too much thickness around the waist for the super low rise.
My daughter is 21 and she looks good in her "mom jeans" when she pairs them with a tight crop top - but that's not really a good look for grown women!!!

Old 10-27-2021, 07:46 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I was glad to see them go. I'm tall and long-waisted and always felt like I looked all-torso in them. Some people wear them well.

And what others said - they weren't comfortable to me. I always felt like I needed to hitch them up and that is not a good look.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:48 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Leggings took over everything.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:30 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I always felt like I needed to hitch them up and that is not a good look.

The materials today can make a super big difference. There are a lot of styles of low rise now….but it’s common today to add a little elastane to the cotton to make them super comfortable but still be snug AND we are able to look for differences in rise for a better fit….about 7 is average for a low rise. Sometimes it’s just trial & error tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Better yet, how about all kinds for different bodies?!?

There are all kinds of available styles, sizes & fits…especially @ stores like Madewell from low rise to high..(like 7 to 12)…in everything from slim boyfriend to skinny, curvy, vintage, stovepipe, flares, straight leg, wide leg, Cali Demi & more. AND all kinds of stretches & washes…some in petite & talls too.^^

You can’t not find the perfect pair IMO…from “classics” that have been around a little while to super trendy.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The materials today can make a super big difference. There are a lot of styles of low rise now….but it’s common today to add a little elastane to the cotton to make them super comfortable but still be snug AND we are able to look for differences in rise for a better fit….about 7 is average for a low rise. Sometimes it’s just trial & error tho.

There are all kinds of available styles, sizes & fits…especially @ stores like Madewell from low rise to high..(like 7 to 12)…in everything from slim boyfriend to skinny, curvy, vintage, stovepipe, flares, straight leg, wide leg, Cali Demi & more. AND all kinds of stretches & washes…some in petite & talls too.^^

You can’t not find the perfect pair IMO…from “classics” that have been around a little while to super trendy.

PLUS, there is online shopping, so literally, everything is at our finger tips. And everyone has a return policy, so if something doesn't fit like we thought it would, it's so easy to send it back.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Leggings took over everything.
Yes activewear and leggings took over a huge market share from jeans sales.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
As a guy, I always thought low rise jeans looked extremely sexy on women. I always have and always will hate high rise jeans, but they seem to be the trend today. Why is that? What was wrong with low rise jeans that made them go out of style?

Fashion changes.

However, I can see why women embraced midrise and high-rise jeans. It is nice to bend without worrying if you are revealing half of your butt to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty