Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sandals shouldn't be worn by men--but sandals should not be worn with ANY socks.
I fully agree. But if you are required to wear socks (medical condition, dirty roads) then you should get same color as shoes and never white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
dress socks don't go with athletic shoes of any color. I've yet to see any black athletic socks.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
dress socks don't go with athletic shoes of any color. I've yet to see any black athletic socks.
There is definitely more socks types then dress, athletic or none.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
If they're not white, they're not athletic socks, and if they're not athletic socks, you wear them with dress clothes.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Dang, people. Maybe some folks dress like slobs, but some of the comments I have read on this thread are just outrageously insulting.

I dress fashionably. So do my friends. Some are more casual than others . . .

I love clothing, accessories, make up, hair - the whole nine yards. I wear classic clothes most of the time but try to spice things up with accessories and some "fashion forward" pieces, as well.

To say that Americans have no style and are slobs (and are fat) is stereotypical. I travel and folks everywhere in Europe look about the same as folks here (And who mentioned polyester fabrics? I have not seen polyester since the 70s, for god's sake).

Maybe you are choosing the wrong places to hang out if you don't see chic Americans. If you go to the WalMart you are gonna see things you would not see at a Country Club, upscale restaurant or at Nordstroms.

Stop the madness w/ these stereotypes!!!!

ETA: and while I am thinking about it, let me add that the tackiest folks I have seen in the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc on the beaches have been European males with their gross looking SPEEDOS! So do not talk to me about chic Europeans vs. slobby Americans.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yeah but I think the people who wear dress pants with sneakers to go to work look like idiots. Screw comfort, you look like a tool.

You've obviously never commuted into central London in a pair of heels

Believe me, I didn't give a toss about wearing sneakers whilst commuting - pounding the pavements, all the stairs at the railway station and underground stations whilst wearing heels is hell on your feet. Plus you move a lot faster in sneakers Handy when your train is just about to depart and you don't want to spend half an hour waiting for the next one.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
To say that Americans have no style and are slobs (and are fat) is stereotypical. I travel and folks everywhere in Europe look about the same as folks here (And who mentioned polyester fabrics? I have not seen polyester since the 70s, for god's sake).

So do not talk to me about chic Europeans vs. slobby Americans.
Well, OP is an obvious troll and you guys are falling for it. But some posts later on are quite interesting.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

You've obviously never commuted into central London in a pair of heels

Believe me, I didn't give a toss about wearing sneakers whilst commuting - pounding the pavements, all the stairs at the railway station and underground stations whilst wearing heels is hell on your feet. Plus you move a lot faster in sneakers Handy when your train is just about to depart and you don't want to spend half an hour waiting for the next one.
I agree with you, I'm a 17 year old boy so I obviously don't wear heels lol, but I hate having to stay with dress shoes on period and having to walk with them on NYC's (and surrounding areas) beat up "all terrain sidewalks" is the worst, I switch to my black Nikes after my feet start to hurt. On many occasions I've taken my shoes off and found out that my feet were actually bleeding.

I'm glad I don't have to get all "dolled up" every single day.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:

Nike makes some black high cut athletic socks, I used to swear by them when I played varsity B-ball in high school. They looked so good to me back then with my schools silver and black uniform. I have since found out that wearing black athletic socks is not good as the black dye can seep into your toe nails after you start to sweat..........

Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 PM

43 posts, read 114,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax mom View Post
yes, americans are fatter and sloppier - some of them anyway - but what bothers me is the terrible condition of most europeans teeth. Dont you guys go to dentists?

roflmao!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty