Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 AM

130 posts, read 175,828 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to Florida in the future. After reading several post here it is not clear what people who live in Florida would feel is the single most important question that someone should ask before moving to Florida.

With that said jobs are not an issue as we can both transfer easily and have already checked into this.

So what question should someone looking around the state of Florida should be asking or looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM

128 posts, read 648,258 times
Can I live on half of what ever I made any where else?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:32 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
We are looking into moving to Florida in the future. After reading several post here it is not clear what people who live in Florida would feel is the single most important question that someone should ask before moving to Florida.
There shouldn't be, because there just isn't one. It depends on the person considering the move and why they're considering the move. The world might be a much easier place to get by in if things were so simple that there would be just one question that's the most important for everyone when deciding on a move, but that's just not the case. People are all a bit different, they have different situations and many different variables to consider.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I would say are you going to be ok with relentless heat and major traffic?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I would say are you going to be ok with relentless heat and major traffic?
Yeah -- these would be the 2 for me too. Depending on where you're coming from in the US -- and where you end up in Fla -- the traffic might actually be BETTER! But from most places, especially smaller towns, it's worse. (We moved to Miami from SoCal and traffic is pretty much a wash.)

Summer isn't that bad but VERY LONG. Do you like that? Some people hate it, others love it. Most probably (certainly me) can live with it -- it is what it is. But if you just HATE hot, muggy weather, Florida isn't for you.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Do you have children or plan to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post

With that said jobs are not an issue as we can both transfer easily and have already checked into this.

So what question should someone looking around the state of Florida should be asking or looking into?
I would say their EDUCATION would have to be a top issue. The state of Florida is not the best place in the country for that.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
And how well do you speak spanish, if you live anywhere Orlando or south of it. Do you want to learn spanish? Will it drive you crazy if you hear very often?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default You never know when you will need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
And how well do you speak spanish, if you live anywhere Orlando or south of it. Do you want to learn spanish? Will it drive you crazy if you hear very often?
Seriously. Several years ago I went to my ATM machine and hit English to begin my transaction. It came out in Greek. Exited and tried 3 more times for English only to get Greek. Yes, loggin in to Greek gave me Greek. Same for Chinese and Italian. English was the only language I could not get.

In desperation, I clicked on Spanish. Yep, Spanish came up. So I fudged my way through my transaction in Spanish. Hell, at least I did have 4 years of Spanish in HS a very long time ago. Greek? Chinese? No way.

You never know when it may come in handy.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
If you have a job, like hot and muggy weather, then when October sets in, nice. Yes Traffic, however,
I have noticed alot less, with gas! If you have jobs, there is no state income tax, a plus. I am
in the New Tampa area, which is cheaper than Palm Beach. The schools here are fine. Also housing
is at a low. You always may move, and rent. The choice is for you alone to decide! You also do save
on winter wear. I only speak English!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:24 PM

259 posts, read 840,682 times
Can I afford it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida