Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

that is would never be below 75, you could go in the water year round, and all the chicks were in bikinis 24-7

I remember those you-got-it-bad-we-got-it-good commercials!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Yes, further south would have been better temperature-wise for me, but when I did my research I found that the farther south you go, the more expensive it is. Also, I did not want to be worried about hurricane damage and too old an environment for my kids. So when everything was weighed, my area seemed to fit the bill for me. Even today, while it is beautiful out, it is not what I would call warm. My kids will go out and play, and I may sit outside, but will not venture to the beach. This is where I am disappointed. I knew people vacationed in Florida in the winter and got tans....not in my area!
Maybe your area isn't as touristy. Consider yourself lucky. The beaches are so crowded on Siesta Key right now, you can't get a parking spot unless you go really really early. I love the temp outside right now its 66 degrees the high is expected to be 77 and there is no humidity. I am sure I would start out with a sweat shirt if I were on the beach though. We went to Busch Gardens yesterday and I told my kids to wear sleeveless shirts because it would be hot. Well I was wrong. It was so chilly in the morning we were cold. It turned out to be a great day. There is a cold front going thru hang in there it will warm up before you know it.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Were they met? Were there other things that just took you by surprise that you least expected?
I thought all the lovely ladies down there would wear string bikinis 24/7, that I'd be at the beach everyday after work, that I'd laze around under a palm tree every weekend writing my novel about a villain in big, bad, cold, dirty old New York and me, the hero, sipping pina coladas by the poolside in S. Florida, served by a waitress in thongs; thought that lovebugs meant everybody was in love with everybody else in Florida (lol), that a CD was a love song played on a device to hear about the sweet melodies of living in Florida!

Boy, was I disappointed! After being surrounded by seniors and a motley of folks in shorts (who had no right to bare an ankle, let alone thighs) riding bikes and at other times, dashing off to early bird specials while almost mowing me down, and folks who think old people and immigrants like the early bird crowd belong only in the other 49 states, I decided to bolt back to NYC.

Guess what, I'm now on another forum with some half-backs and NYC remigrants complaining about how my city sucks bigime!

Yeah, Florida didn't live up to my expectations.lol.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
We do not expect anything, we know why we are moving to Florida and only expect what we deserve, we expect nothing out of Florida or it's people.

Anyone who expects anything may be just setting themselves up for a downfall as your expectations may be set to high.

I do not expect a single thing. I know things will work out for us no matter what.

When we leave here the only thing we will expect is what is god given and not personally expected, the sun, water, being warm, natural beauty etc, the rest is UP TO US to make.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,224 times
Amen to verobeach! Nothing makes me sicker than white television addicted norhterners crying about how hot it is..oh boo hoo!!! I am a harcore beach bum who lives in northern illinois. I have roots in florida from when I lived there as a teenager and also many friends and I own a condo
in the Tarpon Springs Area. To me Florida is just pure paradise. Evertime I have ever crossed the border into this state I have had nothing but great times. During the hot Illinois summers I get darker than a Jamaican as I am out baking in the sun every damn moment I can. This summer up here in 2010 was actually hotter than in Florida, day after day of 90's and humid and I LOVED every minute. If you hate to be hot, sweat, and not feel cool breezes (what the hell is so great about a cool breeze anyway?) than stay in the frozen depressing north with all your season changes..but if like me, you love the heat, the beaches, Jimmy Buffett and cold beer on the beach, come on down. My heart and soul is always there, I have tried to move there many times but cannot sell my damn house. When I read all you white skinned northerners whine about how you hate or hated the heat, I can only ask you what the hell you expected when you moved there. Are you all really that stupid?
And why are long dark cold and depressing winters better than the heat? At least when it is very hot you can go outside half naked and cool off by hanging in the pool or beach with a nice ice cold drink amd enjoy the day..oh, and yes..try sitting in the shade of a palm tree. A real nice touch. As for winter, all you can do is stay inside or go to the mall.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Verobeach is moving back up north.... glad we can pull up year and a half old threads to start crap.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I expected everyone to be friendly since so many of us are from somewhere else but boy was I wrong.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Verobeach is moving back up north.... glad we can pull up year and a half old threads to start crap.
Just saw this. Verobeach has her house for sale. Tried this same thing 2 years ago. Doesn't mean we're going anywhere but thanks for keeping tabs on me and reporting my whereabouts here on CD.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Just saw this. Verobeach has her house for sale. Tried this same thing 2 years ago. Doesn't mean we're going anywhere but thanks for keeping tabs on me and reporting my whereabouts here on CD.
Anytime....

I get the same from others on here.

By the way, I AM FRIENDLY.......

Last edited by ChrisA70; 09-04-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I really didn't have any expectations. We did a Florida tour when I was a child and I wasn't very impressed. I really didn't want to move there.

I first moved to Orlando and was pleasantly surprised. The crime level was really high, not what I was use to, but the people were very friendly.

So it came as a shock when I moved, 18 months later, to Fort Myers. What a difference. The area was full of transplants that were very rude and it seemed like everyone was angry and wanted to leave.

The poor planning in that area really surprised me; strip mall after strip mall, roads that led to nowhere.

I also didn't care for the seedy undertone of the area. It was definitely not what I was use to. And the majority of people seemed like they tried too hard. I think there are a lot of first-generation middle class people that have no idea what to do with the money that they have, or pretended that they had money that they didn't. I always felt like they thought if they were rude it would make them appear that their station in life was higher.

Verobeach: I have no idea why you keep telling people to leave when you've been trying to sell your house almost since you had it built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida