Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times

Advertisements

Nuke the well head.

Nuke that slick - Julia Ioffe - The Moscow Diaries - True/Slant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
I hope people don't think you are being funny. I heard this from a number of experts right from the start. The oil source is actually 2 1/2 miles below the gulf floor. It's only connection to the gulf water is a thin man made pipe just a few feet wide. If you blast it shut and collapse it, it is done. There is no worry of opening the reservoir, it's 2 1/2 miles down. Just blast it, it was the opinion of many experts from the start. It doesn't need to be a nuke a bunker buster would probably do it.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:05 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
Amazing Archival Footage Of A Soviet Nuke Plugging A Leaking Gas Well

Video of a Soviet nuke being used to shut down a runaway gas well.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I hope people don't think you are being funny. I heard this from a number of experts right from the start. The oil source is actually 2 1/2 miles below the gulf floor. It's only connection to the gulf water is a thin man made pipe just a few feet wide. If you blast it shut and collapse it, it is done. There is no worry of opening the reservoir, it's 2 1/2 miles down. Just blast it, it was the opinion of many experts from the start. It doesn't need to be a nuke a bunker buster would probably do it.
Doing something like that could create a tsunami. Remember there's already an empty space where the oil was.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I read somewhere that this wouldnt work in the gulf because of the softer consistency of the sea floor. Apparently, the ones where it works are mostly rocky.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
And of course this would be a no radiation nuke,and we are sure it would seal the leak and not open up 100 new leaks..With all these key board scientists giving such wise ways to halt the problem its amazing that BP hasnt taken their advice and solved the problem weeks ago

Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And of course this would be a no radiation nuke,and we are sure it would seal the leak and not open up 100 new leaks..With all these key board scientists giving such wise ways to halt the problem its amazing that BP hasnt taken their advice and solved the problem weeks ago
Why would it open a 100 new leaks? The oil is miles below the sea floor. You are going to collapses a thin pipe no more the a few hundred to maybe a 1000 feet below the sea floor. And this is not any one persons idea here, it is a consensuses of many scientists when asked how to stop it. It is the quickest and easiest way to do it no questions asked. It is not even debatable. Why they don't choose to do it that way only the people in charge can answer.

I suspect that in the beginning blasting it seemed too drastic and they didn't know how bad it was or how bad it would get. I hope you remember that? Now almost 2 months into it and with the relief wells progressing they are going with that solution and it is the right thing now. But, if they knew what they know now in the beginning, they would have blasted it on the second day. They have just made mistake on top of mistake and now have to live with it, and so do we.

The premise of your post seems to be, we should listen to them and who are we to question them. The fact is, we should have been asking questions from the start as they lied to the public at every turn. I am glad you are so trusting I am afraid most of us are not so trusting, and with good reason.
Remember, BP said in the beginning it was a drop in the bucket and would take a few days to close up. There is a reason BP has it's corporate offices in Switzerland and other have theirs in places like Dubai. I hope you don't for one minute think they have any plans of meeting any future responsibilities. They will be running from this as soon as they can and the U.S. can just go scre$ it's self as they hide behind laxed laws in those countries.

Last edited by mango23; 05-31-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
So if every one is so sure a bomb will instantly solve the problem whats the hold up?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if every one is so sure a bomb will instantly solve the problem whats the hold up?
Perhaps they still will. It is not instant though, it requires getting everything in place to do it but is is a certainty as far as result. What happens if when August arrives and they begin making excuses about why te relief wells are not done? Suppose we have a few hurricane scares and they have to shut down?. This thing has become such a cluster f$$k I have no confidence in any of their plans no matter what they say, even the relief well. This kind of drilling is no easy task. They have to first drill, then drill sideways and be a little lucky enough to hit the reservoir in such a way they can relieve it. They are so far from any certainty in what they are doing it is a joke.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Perhaps they still will. It is not instant though, it requires getting everything in place to do it but is is a certainty as far as result. What happens if when August arrives and they begin making excuses about why te relief wells are not done? Suppose we have a few hurricane scares and they have to shut down?. This thing has become such a cluster f$$k I have no confidence in any of their plans no matter what they say, even the relief well. This kind of drilling is no easy task. They have to first drill, then drill sideways and be a little lucky enough to hit the reservoir in such a way they can relieve it. They are so far from any certainty in what they are doing it is a joke.
Do you think this is going to cause permanent political damage to Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida