Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Did she eat nothing BUT weird stuff? How about her family? Did they all eat this way? I've seen some weird stuff in this thread, and others, but your mother's certainly take the cake so to speak.
No, my grandmother cooked pretty normal. Lots of pasta, but then again she was from Italy so................LOL

She never made weird stuff like my mom did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Not that this is off the wall, but I thought it was different. My grandfather (on my dad's side) used to put butter on his saltines. I guess I thought it was odd because I couldn't imagine eating butter spread on crackers like you would do with peanut butter. Butter seems like something you would use a smidge of, unless it was melted on, like on a hot baked potato.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Maybe she had that one disease where people eat weird stuff. Like dirt and chalk and stuff.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Yup.

No idea where she got it from, but was beyond disgusting, almost inedible because it just tasted so bad.
I eat my beef stroganoff with vinegar in it. Loaded with vinegar. It tastes great with beef! I also only eat cucumbers that have been soaking in vinegar for a little. Or i pour it over them and fish em out with a fork and eat it. I can eat anything with vinegar love the stuff!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Then how'd you get that name??????

Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Not terribly weird, I suppose, but just a little something from childhood this reminded me of.

When I was a kid my dad was not much of a cook. Later in life he became an excellent cook, but when I was young it was a challenge for him to handle a meal. One of his go-to meals was to open a can of Vienna Sausages, and place the can in a shallow bit of water in a sauce pan. Then while they were heating, he'd butter some bread. Squishy white bread, of course.

Then once the sausages were hot he'd cut them in half lengthwise and lay them out like planks on the bread to make sandwiches.

What can I say? When I was a kid I thought they were great.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Sweetbottoms, your cucumbers in vinegar are very southern! When I was growing up we always kept a dish of cucumber and onion slices (Vidalias are the best) covered with white vinegar and a little water. This is something that gets better day 2 and three. As I got older, some of my friends and I started using rice wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. I still like these in the summer -- especially on a salad.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Maybe she had that one disease where people eat weird stuff. Like dirt and chalk and stuff.
Pica, it's called.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Not that this is off the wall, but I thought it was different. My grandfather (on my dad's side) used to put butter on his saltines. I guess I thought it was odd because I couldn't imagine eating butter spread on crackers like you would do with peanut butter. Butter seems like something you would use a smidge of, unless it was melted on, like on a hot baked potato.[/quote]
Oh noooo. You spread a thick layer of butter on things like my Grandmother's warm homemade bread. Yummmm!

I have never tasted bread as good as hers since.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
My mom was the weird one. She liked to eat kimchi and eggs. Also, another good one of hers was cream cheese on tomatoes. We were always baffled how she could enjoy that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink