Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I've never had rutabagas. What does it taste like?
It is very hard to describe what anythng tastes like.....try to describe what carrots taste like......but here goes.

Rutabaga are a strong tasting root vegetable....perhaps a little like members of the cabbage family--perhaps like brussel sprouts....they also have a distinctive smell while cooking. The flavor is somewhat stronger than carrots....but it also has a sweetness that can be brought out by caramalizing in oven roasting or by adding a little sweetness (honey or apple or carrot) to the preparation. They pair well with nutmeg. or.. honey and lemon ... a little cinnamon might work...or tarrogan..they are a peasant crop.....not delicate.

If you like carrots or beets or parsnips ...... you will probably like rutabaga or yellow turnips.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Jaxon I have a new folder labeled recipes set up.....now we will see if I can organize and use it. Thanks!!!!!
Yippee!!!!!! I am so glad it worked for you elston. It has served me well with no need to buy expensive software to get it done!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Yippee!!!!!! I am so glad it worked for you elston. It has served me well with no need to buy expensive software to get it done!
so far I havent been able to set up dividers or sub folders for Meats, Vegetables, Pasta etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I'm making roasted chicken breast, steamed broccoli and mac and cheese. I was supposed to make this last night but ended up eating at the Olive Garden instead.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I've never had rutabagas. What does it taste like?
Quote:
It is very hard to describe what anythng tastes like.....try to describe what carrots taste like......but here goes.

Rutabaga are a strong tasting root vegetable....perhaps a little like members of the cabbage family--perhaps like brussel sprouts....they also have a distinctive smell while cooking. The flavor is somewhat stronger than carrots....but it also has a sweetness that can be brought out by caramalizing in oven roasting or by adding a little sweetness (honey or apple or carrot) to the preparation. They pair well with nutmeg. or.. honey and lemon ... a little cinnamon might work...or tarrogan..they are a peasant crop.....not delicate.

If you like carrots or beets or parsnips ...... you will probably like rutabaga or yellow turnips.
Good description - not an easiest thing to do! They don't taste like brussels tho... do you just mean they are a bit pungent, too...?

Also good added to mashed potato half n half, a lovely winter warmer and very good for you too, lots of minerals in a swede!

Clapshot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
so far I havent been able to set up dividers or sub folders for Meats, Vegetables, Pasta etc.
I should clarify that the steps I gave is on Windows XP. DM me if you have a specific problem setting up your sub folders though. I know different systems call things differently like I have found out about foods in this thread.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM

202 posts, read 359,123 times
Yey! Going through this entire thread...Not an easy task! So that way I can have a recipe folder too. Muahahaha. By the way, I must commend Applebee's on their Honey BBQ baby back ribs!

Jaxson & skbs = British-chips = 100x better than American fries. They're so yummy...especially soaked in lots of malt vinegar & salt.

Here is the recipe we use, though we haven't made the fish yet.

Fish and Chips
Very few people in mainland Britain live more than a few miles from a fish-and-chip shop, therefore very few actually cook this most traditional of British foods! But, for the sake of "tradition," I include instructions here.

1 large or 2 medium potatoes per person, peeled and cut into half-inch thick fingers ("chips")
white fish fillets** - 1 piece per person
4 oz plain flour
pinch of salt
1 egg
quarter pint (150 ml) mixed milk and water
small amount of flour to coat fish
oil or fat to deep-fry

Method
When the chips are first cut, place in cold water to firm up; heat the fat or oil and, whilst it is heating, drain the chips and dry them as much as possible with a clean tea-towel or kitchen paper. When the fat is hot, lower the chips in CAREFULLY, preferably in a chip basket, and cook until they are just beginning to turn golden. Remove from the pan and drain. Meanwhile, prepare the batter for the fish**: beat together the flour, salt, eggs, milk and water (substituting some of the water with beer makes an excellent batter.)
Coat the fish with flour and shake of any excess; hold the fish by the very end and dip into the batter, making sure it is coated entirely. Lower it gently into the hot fat and fry for 5 - 7 minutes, the exact time will depend on the type and thickness of the fish; it will float to the surface of the fat when cooked. Lift out and drain; meanwhile, reheat the fat/oil and cook the chips for a second time - they will not take long and will also float when cooked.
Drain and serve the fish and chips - the traditional accompaniment depends on the part of the British Isles you are in: salt and malt vinegar is most usual, but you can also have tomato ketchup, tartare sauce or, in Yorkshire at least, mint sauce!

**The actual variety of fish served depends on what is caught locally. No part of the British Isles is more than 60 miles from tidal waters, so fresh fish is readily available. Most usual is cod or haddock, but also tasty and popular (and cheap) is the species sold variously as Ling, Huss or Rock Salmon.

Which I got from Here. Enjoy! By the way...they taste EXACTLY like British chips. Makes me feel like I'm back in Wales.

P.S. We use lard in our deep-fat fryer, which my Welsh professor tells me is the only "authentic" way to make them.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
Yey! Going through this entire thread...Not an easy task! So that way I can have a recipe folder too. Muahahaha. By the way, I must commend Applebee's on their Honey BBQ baby back ribs!

Jaxson & skbs = British-chips = 100x better than American fries. They're so yummy...especially soaked in lots of malt vinegar & salt.

Here is the recipe we use, though we haven't made the fish yet.

Fish and Chips
Very few people in mainland Britain live more than a few miles from a fish-and-chip shop, therefore very few actually cook this most traditional of British foods! But, for the sake of "tradition," I include instructions here.

1 large or 2 medium potatoes per person, peeled and cut into half-inch thick fingers ("chips")
white fish fillets** - 1 piece per person
4 oz plain flour
pinch of salt
1 egg
quarter pint (150 ml) mixed milk and water
small amount of flour to coat fish
oil or fat to deep-fry

Method
When the chips are first cut, place in cold water to firm up; heat the fat or oil and, whilst it is heating, drain the chips and dry them as much as possible with a clean tea-towel or kitchen paper. When the fat is hot, lower the chips in CAREFULLY, preferably in a chip basket, and cook until they are just beginning to turn golden. Remove from the pan and drain. Meanwhile, prepare the batter for the fish**: beat together the flour, salt, eggs, milk and water (substituting some of the water with beer makes an excellent batter.)
Coat the fish with flour and shake of any excess; hold the fish by the very end and dip into the batter, making sure it is coated entirely. Lower it gently into the hot fat and fry for 5 - 7 minutes, the exact time will depend on the type and thickness of the fish; it will float to the surface of the fat when cooked. Lift out and drain; meanwhile, reheat the fat/oil and cook the chips for a second time - they will not take long and will also float when cooked.
Drain and serve the fish and chips - the traditional accompaniment depends on the part of the British Isles you are in: salt and malt vinegar is most usual, but you can also have tomato ketchup, tartare sauce or, in Yorkshire at least, mint sauce!

**The actual variety of fish served depends on what is caught locally. No part of the British Isles is more than 60 miles from tidal waters, so fresh fish is readily available. Most usual is cod or haddock, but also tasty and popular (and cheap) is the species sold variously as Ling, Huss or Rock Salmon.

Which I got from Here. Enjoy! By the way...they taste EXACTLY like British chips. Makes me feel like I'm back in Wales.

P.S. We use lard in our deep-fat fryer, which my Welsh professor tells me is the only "authentic" way to make them.
oh dang....sounds amazing... but I am out....I only eat deep fried when I am dining out.....that is how I keep my girlish figure LOL....that and it is my weakness so I would be in HUGE trouble if I deep fried anything in my home. I really WOULD have a butt the size of Texas if I brought a deep Fryer into the house.... LOL.... oh how I would LOVE one though.....oh... a girl can DREAM LOL.... sounds really good though like the ones I had in Ireland .....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (had deep fried Snickers when i was there too OMG TO DIE FOR!!!!)

Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post

Fish and Chips
O dear I have drooled all over my keyboard

Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
There were authentic Fish n Chips places in Kearny,NJ-so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink