Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Decided not to use the hoisin but just dip the thighs in egg, coat with crushed fried onion rings and bake. Just not ambitious today.

Careful, this is a G Rated thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Elston you posted about this earlier but I am just getting here. You mentioned about the cookbook. One of my personal treasures is my MIL's recipe boxes and cookbooks with all her handwritten notations. Sometimes when my kids are here and husband is missing her I have a "Gig" day where I cook all her recipes and somehow it brings comfort to them. I too try to write all my recipes out so someday my kids or grandkids will have them especially in my handwriting.

My side of the family every year has a Christmas party whre everyone brings a dish. The amount of food is incredible and what each person brings has become tradition and something everyone looks forward to. This year my cousin had everyone write down their personal recipes and a Family cookbook was published. Some of the comments are hilarious and shows everyone's personalities also.
I just have to say what a great idea this is!! Makes me wish I had al my Grandma Craines Recipes. She had them all hand written. Her cursive was elegant.....Some how they fell through the cracks when she passed...or to the cracks of cousins I have

Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
I couldn't stop by yesterday, I was in too much pain from my dental experience! lol It's much better today. Cheek and jowl are still swollen and quite tender from all the novacaines I kept needing, but at least the root canal has stopped throbbing!!!! Whoa! The teeth he made look really purty, so I'm very pleased with the result. Next time, I *will* say yes to the Vicadin!!!! lol

Last night I ate a ham and lite jarlsberg cheese sandwich. Tonight I'm thinking spaghetti and filet mignon. It's such a tender steak, it just melts in your mouth. Steak and spaghetti has been a favorite for many years as my mom owned a steak house that featured italian foods. I made a rather large batch of sauce a month or more ago and froze quite a few containers to enjoy later. Looks like this is one of those laters. Ha! Obviously I need comfort food today, huh? lol

Hope all of you are doing great. There are way too many pages to go back and read.... I just couldn't even come on yesterday to follow anything. I kept pretty quiet and ate 1,000 mg of Tylenol every 4 hours. Added a Bailey's to that prior to bedtime and it seemed to have made an effective drug cocktail since I slept soundly through the night.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Since mom has raved about Elston's pork chop recipe I must must make that tonight Elston would it go OK with buttered noodles w/ cracked pepper?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
burdell I can't rep ya but thanks for the giggle on the G rated thread.

Coastal glad the root canal is done and both foods sound good after dental work.

amber doesn't buttered noodles just about go with anything? We eat them with anything other than more pasta type dishes.

Getting a post ready for all you wanna be recipe collectors.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Jaxs your right ha ha

Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Oh Burdell-after I hit "send" I just knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amber noodles n pork chops-perfect together!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Saving recipes in a folder:

Go to your desk top and right click on a free area, go down to "New", then click on "New Folder". This new folder will appear on your desk top; double left click on the name "new folder" hit delete or backspace to clear it to a white box. Type in the new name of your folder in this case "Recipes". Now you should have the folder set up to start saving your recipes.

I prefer copying and pasting recipes into a new email that I send to myself but you can also save them in word documents into your new recipe folder as well. In a word doc click on "file" then "save or save as", a new window will pop up that should have a list of all your folders on your computer; with the top box saying "My documents". Click on the recipe folder, that is showing with all your other folders in this box, so it is now in the top window of the box you just opened then click on save. Your recipe should now be saved into your new folder!

To make sub folders inside your recipe folder click on "Make a new folder" repeat clicking on the blue words under the folder to name this folder. I have one for: appetizers, beverages, breads, breakfast, canning, casseroles etc. then one each for each kind of meats. Inside my veggies folder I have many sub folders for each kind of veggies same for my pies/cakes folder I separate them as well.

When I started saving recipes they all went into one folder it was a mess trying to find any recipe I wanted until I took the time to set up this system. I hope this helps the ones that want to be able to save all the recipes shared! Or you could buy one of those fancy expensive recipe programs to install but the frugal side me said 'no way'.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I love rutabagas....mashed with salt and pepper and butter.....essential part of the traditional Thanksgiving Meal; they also add a lot to a beef stew.
The white turnips....I seldom use, but Dad used to cube them, boil and then put in a white sauce. He also did that with kolrabi....which has a similar taste.
I've never had rutabagas. What does it taste like?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Jaxon I have a new folder labeled recipes set up.....now we will see if I can organize and use it. Thanks!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink