Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times

Advertisements

Today, probably Chinese. Sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,716 times
hello America!!!

tonight, in my home..I'm eating omelette, salade and fruits.
and you?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Somewhere in one of his books and/or shows Jacques Pepin described a no-stir method of making arborio rice in the oven. I've tried it and it was quite good, maybe not quite as creamy as constantly stirred risotto but add a tbsp or 2 of cream and it'd be a pretty darn good counterfeit

Now, if I could only remember the rice/liquid ratio
Cheat!!! I do it too actually tho I guess-work my way thu and just stir now and then, adding stock as needed.

Delia's recipes are always good - so maybe this would be worth a try... Oven-Baked Risotto Carbonara

An oven-baked paella recipe will work too, lots on line.

Here's a microwave risotto recipe I have that a friend gave me, she swears by it...

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
3 (or more) cups chicken stock
2/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup water (if needed)
6 cloves (or more) garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
16 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casing
1/4 cup top quality Parmesan cheese (preferably Regiano), grated
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat olive oil in shallow (2 inches) microwave dish (8x10) for one minute on high. Add onion and garlic and heat for two minutes. Add rice, stir to coat with oil, and heat for one minute.

2. Add 2 cups of chicken stock and wine, stir, and microwave on high for 12 minutes, uncovered. While it cooks, saute sausage and crumble as it cooks.

3. Stir in remaining stock and sausage, and cook for 10 more minutes. Check after 8 minutes (taste a little); if rice is too dry but not completely cooked, add water (or more chicken stock) as necessary. When done, stir in cheese and serve with additional cheese as garnish.

Optional: add fresh vegetables and/or herbs (asparagus, snow peas, seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes, basil, etc.) and/or 1/2 pound sauteed fresh mushrooms (including cooking juices) to risotto for last 8-10 minutes of cooking. Cooked chicken, shrimp, lobster or other meat may be substituted for sausage (if using lobster, cook shells in some chicken broth, strain, and use as part of the cooking liquid), or additional cheese may be added in place of sausage for a vegetarian dish.

Serves 4 to 6 generously and makes great leftovers to reheat in microwave (can be frozen).

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Default Chicken Cacciatore

JimJ-just went thru typing this and it disappeared-if it shows double-forgive me.

I use boneless skinless breasts and thighs. Brown in olive oil, remove. Saute onions, peppers, mushrooms,sliced black olives, garlic, hot pepper flakes, salt/pepper, bay leaf. Add tomato paste and cook a few minutes. Add white wine and a lg can of Italian plum tomatoes (crushed by hand). Bury chicken in sauce, cover and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hrs. or bake low and slow.

Last edited by LaceyEx; 01-12-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Anything that lacey has recommended to me has been wonderful. And the low and slow method she uses makes it all work so well!! I have never had a recipe from lacey that wasn't the best!!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Anything that lacey has recommended to me has been wonderful. And the low and slow method she uses makes it all work so well!! I have never had a recipe from lacey that wasn't the best!!
You give me too much credit!!!!!!! But I love ya for it-LOL.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Cheat!!! I do it too actually tho I guess-work my way thu and just stir now and then, adding stock as needed.
When I make risotto it's usually the main dish or accompanying something that needs no effort, like chicken kept warm in the oven. I actually don't mind the stirring, some music, a glass of wine, and 20 minutes isn't too much to ask for a meal

Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Today, probably Chinese. Sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch.
Chinese sounds good I think we'll be getting some take-out this week as well. Enjoy!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
skbs.I know this is not food related but I read about your migraines and I feel bad.
When my son was 5 years old he started to suffer from terrible migraines...we would have to put him in a dark room and put a cold compress on his head and add pressure. My heart broke for him.
We took him for test after test and they ended up putting him on medication then another and then another..finally someone told me that they use a more or less preventative medication called Verapamil (it is an adult drug). We talked to his pediatrician and he told us it was not a cure but I will tell you he stopped getting migraines. My son in law goes into A-fib (he is so young) and his doc put him on the verapamil and he has not had an episode in almost three years. Might be worth checking into.
I am on Topamax now to prevent them... usually works for the majority of the time....but every so often.... there is that random espisode....like now.....I will keep it in mind though....

SD.... I have talked to the Dr about the Bvitamin and basically a multi can cover that...but that isn't my case...thanks for the suggestion though..

JIM....I am in stitches...yet ever so grateful you would trek out in that nasty weather to knock on every tree in the woods for me! LOL

Everyone is being very helpful...Thanks for the caring suggestions and thoughts I really appreciate it....

So, I didn't pass out with the blood work and made it home alright... Dinner will be started soon....Panko's on the coutner- chicken is defrostin..... the running around did give me a bit of a fuzz- but that will go away with the old script I am hoping....nobody needs to run into the woods though LOL

Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,765 times
Tonight, hot roast beef sandwiches slathered in gravy, with sides of roasted carrots, potatoes and onions, along with a green salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink