Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Yesterday I cooked the chicken lo and slow in that marinated Goya/Mojo Chipotle.
The house smelled great and it was really good. DH couldn't get enough.

So whomever gave that recipe thank you!
I think I brought it up last using it with my chicken wings in the oven, but I got the tip on it from just about all the regulars here! LOL

Congrats Lisa!!!!!

Congrats Cyn!!!!!!

Welcome Newbies!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Just a quick q - in my urge to use up all my food etc, I am looking at 3-4 bottles of salad dressing... didn't someone once mention a recipe for using it w baked chicken... or am I imagining that??!! I've never used salad dressing on anything except, well... salad!!

Good for you Lisa!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
YoungLisa that is great. You go Girl.

KAt then thank you....I cooked it low and slow 225 for 4 hours but what I would have loved to do if it wasn't buried in snow is to throw them on the grill just to get that additional flavor.

Southdown what I do is take the chicken and put it in a baking pan throw some brown sugar on top of the chicken, then the salad dressing (Italian). Cover with tin foil. Bake 2 hours on 225-250 then after two hours uncover and continue baking for two more hours. So good and easy.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM

skbs.I know this is not food related but I read about your migraines and I feel bad.
When my son was 5 years old he started to suffer from terrible migraines...we would have to put him in a dark room and put a cold compress on his head and add pressure. My heart broke for him.
We took him for test after test and they ended up putting him on medication then another and then another..finally someone told me that they use a more or less preventative medication called Verapamil (it is an adult drug). We talked to his pediatrician and he told us it was not a cure but I will tell you he stopped getting migraines. My son in law goes into A-fib (he is so young) and his doc put him on the verapamil and he has not had an episode in almost three years. Might be worth checking into.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Southdown what I do is take the chicken and put it in a baking pan throw some brown sugar on top of the chicken, then the salad dressing (Italian). Cover with tin foil. Bake 2 hours on 225-250 then after two hours uncover and continue baking for two more hours. So good and easy.
Thanks CrazyW!

Is that a whole chicken....

Guess that would work with Honey Mustard too? Trying to use up what I have

Re. the migraines - what about vitamin B2 or B complex, lots of people find it helps Read this the other day...

https://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetC...chunkiid=21859
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Vitamin B 2 ? Migraine Headaches

According to a 3-month, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 55 people with migraines, riboflavin can significantly reduce the frequency and duration of migraine attacks.12 This study found that, when given at least 2 months to work, a daily dose of riboflavin (400 mg) can produce dramatic migraine relief. The majority of the participants experienced a greater than 50% decrease in the number of migraine attacks as well as the total days with headache pain. However, a larger and longer study is needed to follow up on these results.

and this http://www.nutraingredients.com/Rese...vent-migraines

Last edited by southdown; 01-12-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Good morning all!

Lots of snow here this a.m. -- first time all winter. They don't really salt the roads or plow here, so it was a mess. Took me an hour to get to work when it normally takes 20-25.

Anyway, I love 24! Can't wait to watch again tonight. And Cyn, good job with the no smoking. As for oatmeal, I always make "no bakes" with the leftover. You can't go wrong there!!

Hope you feel better skbs and way to go Lisa!!

Welcome to the newbies......and that is all I can remember for now. It is hard to catch up here!!

Saturday night we went out to eat and watch basketball and the BF and I split a huge plate of chicken nachos. Very good.

Yesterday we had friends over and I made a spinach salad to start made with spinach, dried cranberries, toasted almonds and sunflower seeds, reduced fat blue cheese crumbles, thin slices of red onion and a homemade dressing of: 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup of evoo, and about a 1/2 cup of sugar. Add toasted sesame seeds too. Really tasty!!

We also cooked a roast in the crock pot all day with onion soup mix, beef broth, beer, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. It just feel apart and was delicious! Made some Bisquick biscuits to go with it.

Tonight I have to start working on the school musical (doing the choreography) and I am kind of dreading it. It is "Oliver" and I just can't get into it. When I get home I will have more of the roast for dinner ....... and watch 24!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Roast sounds yum HG. Have a hunk of top round in the oven now-wrapped securely in foil with parsnips,carrots,pearl onions, mushrooms, Lipton onion soup and Cream of roasted garlic mushroom soup. Low and slow.

My sis-in-law makes a great one for summer parties. Big piece of beef, Lipton onion soup, cloves of garlic, beer-slow cooker overnight-great with rolls soaked with the juices.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Southdown usually I use that recipe on chicken pieces. My preference is thighs but everyone is different.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Today , very simple Grilled Marinated Chicken Breasts with Moroccan Couscous.

I was thinking of making Chicken lemon risotto which I had recently at a restaurant and was utterly glorious but I chickened out !!! I find risotto quite a daunting task, as you need to have good stock and keep a permanent eye on it whilst stirring. I think I should leave to the experts.

Somewhere in one of his books and/or shows Jacques Pepin described a no-stir method of making arborio rice in the oven. I've tried it and it was quite good, maybe not quite as creamy as constantly stirred risotto but add a tbsp or 2 of cream and it'd be a pretty darn good counterfeit

Now, if I could only remember the rice/liquid ratio

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
SKBS, I'm surrounded by woods, going out and knocking on all the trees for you!

Nomad, I forget people all the time and I generally pull the seinfeld thing (great episode btw) and try to see if I can "trick" them into telling me who they are or at least giving me a context so I can remember. Speaking of this, yesterday at the movies while waiting to get into the theater a guy and what looked like his older parents walked up and we started chatting. I recognized his face but for the life of me couldn't figure out WHO it was. They finished cleaning the theater so as we were walking in it hit me right between the eyes I "know" him from TV... I'm still kind of fuzzy on which show but I'm pretty sure it was Ghost Whisperer. We get a lot of movie/tv people up here, some live here or come to ski so it's not real unusual to see them out and about. I'm kind of glad I didn't realize "who" he was until later since I kind of feel that they just want to be out like regular folks and it can be hard for someone to hide the "ah ha" moment or avoid the usual tv/movie questions.
I think I want to make chicken cacciatori (sp?) tonight since I've seen it mentioned here lately but got to dig up a recipe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink