Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

At this point I don't know if Alaska is any colder then MN lacey! Ha! We're suppose to be getting an artic blast this next week and will be into single digit tempts in the night and low 30's during the days. Oh goodie, I can hardly wait! Hope it doesn't last for long!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Cyn-just mixed marinade for hens-so will report after dinner.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Like Grace Slick said at WoodStock: Mornin' people, it's a new day!

I know there's been concern from a few people here over jobs. In the interest of possibly helping someone I'm going to go totally OT to say:

The Census Bureau does a lot of preparatory work for the 2010 Census and they're hiring now in many areas. Not a bad way to get some $$$ coming in until spmething more permanent comes along.

US Census Bureau 2010 Jobs Main Page

Last edited by burdell; 01-11-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Goooooood morning all!
Lacey, It's been years since I've had cornish game hens but recently bought some as well. If I remember right the following is what I had years ago and loved it and I'm going to do it again..

Apple-Raisin Stuffed Cornish Game Hens

4 Cornish game hens
1 (6 ounce) bag Melba Toasted Dressing
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter
1 large or 2 small apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup S&W Apple Juice
1 cup S&W Apple Sauce
3/4 cup chopped S&W Walnuts
2/3 cup S&W Seedless Raisins
Salt
Pepper

Saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Combine with remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.

Wash and pat dry thawed hens. Season cavities with salt and pepper. Stuff hens with stuffing mixture and fasten openings with skewers. Place hens breast side up in roaster pan. Do not cover. A foil tent may be used if excessive browning occurs. Roast 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees F, basting 4 or 5 times with the following sauce.

Sauce:
1 cup S&W Apple Juice
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Heat on stove until well blended or in the microwave for 1 minute.

Cyn, saw your request for an oatmeal cookie recipe and it just so happens I made a batch 2 days ago and am staring at them now wondering if they count as a breakfast food.
The recipe is from Ina Garten new cookbook Back to Basics
Rasin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/2 cups pecans
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup dark brown sugar lightly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups raisins

preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes until crisp, set aside to cool then chop very coursely.
In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugars together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla.
Sift the flour,baking powder,cinnamon and salt together into a bowl and with the mixer on low slowely add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
Add the oats,raisins and pecans and mix just until combined.
Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon drop 2 inch mounds onto sheetpans lined with parchment and flatten slightly with a damp hand.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightely browned. Transfer to a baking rack and cool completely.
*note*
The other day was the first time I tried this recipe (I never tweek a recipe the first time I try it) and while they are very good I did notice a couple of things. First, I think they are REAL sweet (for me) and I'd cut the sugar back a bit next time. Probably to 3/4 and 3/4. Second, with all that sugar they can get a bit hard so I'm guessing cutting that back will help. Third, they really don't spread much so I probably should have pressed them down more to create less of a mound. I used a 2 Tbls cookie scoop to do mine.
Great flavor, highly addicting and as I said I have woken up thinking about 'em since I baked them...

Tonights dinner... Hmmmm, well the show I've been waiting a YEAR for is starting tonight with a 2 hour premier GO JACK BAUER!!!! so it'll most likely be frozen eggrolls from new years, frozen mini quiches that we forgot we bought for NY, thai lettuce wraps and maybe some of the leftover chocolate ravioli or the Mint Chocolate chip ice cream I made last night and put in the deep freeze to firm up. Gotta love good 'ole Ben and Jerry!!!!!
On the ice cream front, when I was putting it in the machine the kid chef wandered over and asked "Dad, are you going to put some green food color in there?" I asked "why would I want to do that"? He replied "it's mint chocolate chip, it's supposed to be green"!
I told him that while it's mint chocolate chip ice cream, food color adds nothing to the taste or texture so why put in something artificial that does nothing for it except make it look green and is really not good for someone with ADHD and autisim like you (dye can really get to him sometimes, especially red dye).... That's why we either buy Bryers or make it ourselves.
I hope he got it and he really has a memory like a steel trap but I think I'll try and re-enforce the idea if we eat it tonight. I want him to grow into a chef that does his best to NOT add things that are man made or chemical.

Have a good morning all and to all those east of me, stay warm!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,623 times
Some folks are making spanish rice-yummy!

Elston- I try to stay away from preservatives and food dyes mainly. I eat a lot of healthy, and a lot of not so healthy

It is my SO's birthday so I crock-potted a roast and put a little Marsala wine in with the typical seasonings (garlic, pepper, etc.)

I have some red potatoes left, so I thought I'd cream them up. As well as put some field peas on to cook in bacon and salt&pepper.

It's a dark chocolate cake and frosting with vanilla ice cream after that.

Happy Sunday all!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
SD- I am sending the you tons of best wishes. I hope it all works out for you very soon.

bjh- Congratulations on your weight loss. What kind of exercise are you doing? Mashed cauliflower- I have been seeing that recipe for years and have never tried it. Maybe I should it sounds good.

You are not alone. I also have never tried sardines or mackerel and I don't think I ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Good work on the weight loss, I am mystified how you all do it without fanfare - I would be yelling from the rooftops!!
Don't worry when I loose that much I will be swinging from the tree tops.

Lacey
- I hope your Cornish hens turn out delicious. My mother used to make them a lot. She didn't do anything special to them just baked them and they were still really good.

cyn- Yeah 23 days. You should be very proud of yourself. You have done fantastic. Keep it up.

Good morning everyone. Not too much going on today. We will be visiting my stepdaughter and her family at some point today. Tonight I am making my own version of Chicken Cacciatore for me and NY Strip Steak and baked potato for my hubby.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanx JimJ-will do that next time.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Thanks JimJ...looks like I'll be doing some baking today!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post

It's a dark chocolate cake and frosting with vanilla ice cream after that.

Happy Sunday all!

Sending birthday wishes your way. I'll be there for dessert. Yummy.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Happy Birthday TH!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink