Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,326,647 times

Advertisements

I'd have never even thought about that so thanks about telling us about the scallops. That doesn't seem right but neither does injecting dye in the meat and it's done! Live and learn! Now when I feel I am willing to spend that extra bit of cash and they go on sale I will definately buy some scallops. Yummy!
Welcome Boo2lowkey. You have just wandered into the most friendly foodie place around. Enjoy and please keep coming back! We are always looking for new and different ideas here.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,272,735 times
OK, DH is home and supper will be Papa Johns delivery. Sounds good to me....(running to make sure there is beer in the fridge).

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,136 times
Night out with the gals - dinner at our usual East Indian restaurant and a movie.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Jaxson, actually the kid chef did help with the cooking, he made the mash potatoes and veggies while I did the steaks. Normally my DW and I take flour and add salt/pepper and then scramble a couple of eggs w/hot sauce. We dip the steaks in the egg then dredge in flour. When I was starting to do this I was "informed" that I should dredge 'em in flour, then in egg wash, then in bread crumbs then fry.... Okey dokey, that's what we'll do... Came out fine.

Since peppers seem to be the topic today here's a recipe for Scallops AND peppers...

From Paula Deen (the butter queen)
Scallops and Peppers

1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, zested
Freshly ground black pepper
4 large red bell peppers

In a bowl, combine the scallops, olive oil, lemon zest, and black pepper, to taste. Preheat the broiler or prepare coals for outdoor grilling. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stems, seeds, and ribs. If cooking in a broiler, place the peppers cut side down on a baking sheet.
Broil or grill the peppers until blackened, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag, close the top and let steam for 10 minutes. Remove the charred skins and cut the peppers lengthwise into 3/4-inch strips. Wrap a pepper strip around each scallop to cover completely, overlapping the pepper ends. Secure the strips by running a 10-inch metal skewer through the scallop and pepper. Use 6 skewers; add scallops to each skewer until filled. Grill skewers over a medium-hot fire, turning once, until scallops are almost firm to the touch, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Alternatively, cook under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side.

Serve immediately.

Or from one of my favorite chefs Ina Garten:

Scallops Gratin
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 medium shallots, minced
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto di Parma, minced
4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons Pernod
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 cup panko
6 tablespoons dry white wine
2 pound fresh bay scallops
Lemon, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place 6 (6-inch round) gratin dishes on a sheet pan.
To make the topping, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer). With the mixer on low speed, add the garlic, shallot, prosciutto, parsley, lemon juice, Pernod, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. With the mixer still on low, add the olive oil slowly as though making mayonnaise, until combined. Fold the panko in with a rubber spatula and set aside.

Preheat the broiler, if it's separate from your oven.

Place 1 tablespoon of the wine in the bottom of each gratin dish. With a small sharp knife, remove the white muscle and membrane from the side of each scallop and discard. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and distribute them among the 3 dishes. Spoon the garlic butter evenly over the top of the scallops. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the topping is golden and sizzling and the scallops are barely done. If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped parsley and serve immediately with crusty French bread.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times
We went to the butcher today on the way home from the movies......bought a "variety special package" with 5 lbs of chicken tenders, 5 lb of chick thighs, 5 lb chuck roast, 5 lb of 90% lean grnd beef, 4 ham steaks, 5 lb ny strips all for $79.....the meat is beautiful......and they do a really good business there. That sort of fills up my freezer for now.

Tonight DP will finish up his mackeral.....and who knows what I will find in the fridge.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,456,836 times
Tonight for dinner I had a sardine sandwich. If I get hungry later, I'll have a little brown rice and squash left over from last night.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,861,348 times
Oh Elston you didn't make that mackeral magically disappear?

That was a heck of a buy!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:18 PM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times
No it "lingers on" but he agreed that what ever is left after supper can go out.....fortunately its freezing out so it wont stink waiting for next Thrsday collection day.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,507 times
I just made a big batch of Canadian Cheese Soup, so I think I will have some of that for dinner tonight, along with some white wine and Italian bread (tastes great dipped in the soup). To top it off I will have some sugar free jello.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:25 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,455,340 times
I've got a hankerin' for buffalo wings, so I'm going to broil some and have carrots and celery w/ bleu cheese dressing. If I'm still a little hungry, I'm having a dip that's been around for ages...

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese softened to room temp.
1 can of Hormel Chunky Chili with beans
Sliced, canned or bottled jalapeno's (I like the Vlasic because they're nice and HOT!)
Shredded mexican cheese blend or shredded cheddar

Spread the cream cheese in the pie plate with the back of a serving spoon. Top with the Hormel chili. Add the jalapeno slices to taste. Cover with a thin layer of cheese. Nuke til softened and cheese is fairly melted.

Scoop with tortilla chips and wash down w/ a margarita or three. tee hee

You could add black olives with or in place of the jalapeno slices too... and you could top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sliced scallions if you wanted too. You could improvise with all sorts of goodies... chicken shredded on there would be great instead of chili or with the chili, you could also use refried beans in place of or in addition to the cream cheese

It's a party appetizer and I'm not having a party, but I do want something hot and spicy and easy tonight! Snow's on the way!

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 01-10-2009 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Added additional info that I'd added in a DM...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink