Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times

Advertisements

You guys are making me hungry for stuffed peppers. I lightened up ours by switching to ground turkey breast and using brown rice. We like it better than the hamburger and white rice, believe it or not.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
NMS-my roast was a boneless about 2 lbs. Roasted at 325 for 1 1/2 hrs. The kraut is "Frank's Sweetened Kraut" but you could use reg kraut and add some brown sugar-not much.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
You guys are making me hungry for stuffed peppers. I lightened up ours by switching to ground turkey breast and using brown rice. We like it better than the hamburger and white rice, believe it or not.
We're lucky out here with ground beef-it's so very lean-I never get fat out of it when cooking.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Tonight we're supposed to bring a pot of chili to a Rally for Life fundraiser, but there's a blizzard ablowin outside, so it might be cancelled. If so, I'll probably make some chicken soup from the leftover roast chicken we had a few days ago.

MidwesternBookWorm
----you put oysters in your gumbo? Yumbo. What else? As you may have read, I took a stab at gumbo last week.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Today I'm making one of my huge weekend batches of food that will make us many dinners. I prefer to do this Sunday but I've got a Charger game to watch.

Mom always called this recipe Good Brown Hash and it's one of my husband's favorites. His second favorite part is that my mom has no idea this recipe sounds like a drug reference.

Anyway, it's a yummy beef and mushroom stew with red wine in a generous amount of brown gravy.

You sop up the gravy with fresh french bread. Oh so yummy.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Gooooooooood morning all!
Back to the appliance thing, it's kind of funny when I was in my middle/late teens ('70s) I worked for a used appliance store where we picked up old/broken appliances that people tossed and repaired 'em and resold them. I used to pick up 5 to 25 year old refers and old wedgewood stoves and usually the only thing wrong with them was either a freon leak (refer) or bad burners or in the case of washers a seal leak and of course they all needed a good cleaning but parts wise very little cost to get 'em running again good as new. With these new ones if they get a freon leak your done since you can't access the coils anymore since they're encased in foam to make them energy star compliant. While I enjoy all my new appliances I'd still rather have an old wedgewood stove and an old subzero refer and and old maytag washer/dryer. Sometimes I think they had it right when they built my grandma's wringer washing machine! Simple item, no bells/whistles, you could get it in any color you wanted as long as it was white and it washed clothes (and crushed hands if you weren't careful) plain and simple.

MWBW
, glad to hear hubby's foot is doing better! Had a father in law who was diabetic and his feet were always a problem, kind of like Mr. Jack Daniels.

SKBS, congrats on your decision to DO NOTHING but sit and sleep! Keep it up until that head of yours feels better!!!

Lacey, weather here is acting very strange and we keep getting warm wet storms lately which I guess means more snow for y'all. You truely don't want what we're getting, rain on top of snow is really making a mess!

Nikz, I really,really miss Indian food! I need to go visit my MIL in CA to get some at the local lunch buffet so I can ask what the names of the stuff are and try and make it myself (except for naan as I don't have the oven for it).

Well I did make the Chicken fried steak last night, one huge piece and two medium size ones and there's nothing left. Kid chef sucked it up like no tomorrow! It's funny, I went to make it and I guess I was doing it wrong because kid-chef bops into the kitchen and says "chef said to do it this way" to which I said "okay, I do it this way" and he responds "that's not right, "chef" had us do it THIS way". Well I've learned not to argue with "chef" since I want him to listen to her so I changed and did it "chefs" way. Darn, now I'm not only arguing with a teenager I've got to argue with a lady who's not even here! I give up........

Tonight is bbq tri-tip, and thank goodness they've not done bbq in school yet or me and "chef" would have a showdown (or throwdown) for sure!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
cyn- Wow that was a great deal on peppers. I'm having heart failure over produce prices right now. Maybe we should contact Noma and have him send us some good veggies. I will try the soup and Lacey's brown sugar next (for my hubby). For my cabbage I am going to use minced carrots, celery, onion, lean ground beef(very little) and brown rice and tomato soup.

nms- I'm also modifying the recipe.

Oh yeah, my hubby is having hot dogs and beans tonight. He just looks at my dinner plate each night and says "you eat some weird stuff", lol.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
younglisa, I so know what you are saying about the price of produce around these parts. I love fresh veggies and it is just to expensive often times. I want some broccoli so bad but I refuse to pay what they want here. Almost $150. for a single piece of broccoli. I'm waiting for it to go on sale.........

Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
phonelady61 welcome to an awesome foodie list!

jimj did chef son help you with the cooking or just give instructions? What did his chef say to do differently than you did it?

cyn the high price of produce is sadly what keeps many families from eating healthier. Our prices are crazy high right now too and the heads of lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli are tiny.

YLisa since you have all new appliances it will be good to hear how they hold up for you the next 2-3 years. Sad with all this talk about them not lasting because they are a huge investment we all need.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Almost $150. for a single piece of broccoli. I'm waiting for it to go on sale.........
Wow $150.00 is high I would wait too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink