Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

For a change, I actually know at this hour what I'm having for supper. Of course, that's because I just finished packing it in my lunch pail along with my bag o' salad lunch. Got class again tonight, so I'll be gulping down a container of leftover gumbo at the office before heading out for another fascinating evening of discussing income taxes. And naturally, we are due for about 5 inches of snow starting around 4:00 this afternoon. Ah, Monday, how I love thee..... NOT. On the bright side, I at least have mostly gains in my balance sheet reconciliations, and those are a lot better to have than losses, so I am not nearly as stressed over that monthly project at this point as is sometimes the case.

Hope that everyone has a reasonably good Monday, and for those living in the northern tier of the country, bundle up well today - the deep freeze is on its way.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Goood Morning Everyone...... I hope you all had a very nice weekend. We ate very simply this weekend.... I felt a little better for a bit on Sat and so I asked hubby to take me out to the store as we needed to do some of our wholesale stuff- and we took the kids to a little place with some good soup and sandwiches. Had a nice bowl of soup for dinner that night. As did the kids. But got hit by a nasty snow storm while we were out and the temps DROPPED which wasn't so nice for the head.... went straight to bed when I got home.... Sunday woke with it and went to church and stopped by my folks where the kids baked while I sat on the sofa (learned a trick for putting choco chips in cake batter btw- put them in a bag, bang them up a bit, and sprinkle them with flour and shake them around so they don't sink to the bottom of the cake while they cook.... thought I would share since it worked).... headed home to make some Soba Noodles with ground Turkey, eggplant, matchstick carrots, tossed in a ginger soy sauce.... Even the kids ate it! Go me....and it was very easy..... then I crashed..... I am going to get my Thyroid blood work done today after I drop Diva off to school.... I am betting that takes a couple of days so I will let you all know what the results are when they are when they come in......Head isn't hurting so bad yet- but i haven't been out in the cold yet. I am dreading that. I think I need to move someplace warm.... maybe I need to talk to my friend Juan to see if he knows a good real estate agent.....

Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Good Monday morning!! Looks like we're getting that artic blast here too...brrrrrrrrr!

Welcome cr1039 and thanks for the great share! Very interesting and I have copied and pasted it into my recipe file!

Day 24--no smoking!! I definately feel like I'm over the worst part now. I do still have 1/2 patch on so once I get rid of that we'll see for sure. But I feel so much better now although DH still tells me I'm grumpy at times but not nearly as often! Either I'm getting use to being grumpy or it's not nearly as bad! Ha!

Tonight is good old spaghetti with garlic toast and a green salad.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
SKBS-being this happens in the cold could it be neuralgia?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Tonight will be pecan turkey cutlets, mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. If DH is exceptionally hungry, might make some biscuits or cornbread too.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Whew..cookies or whatever they are, are finally done. Have to get dinner done and over with by the time 24/Jack comes on! Ha! Been waiting for this to finally be on again. Enough of "nothing" on tv anymore! Jack and American Idol will be just fine for me!
So it's off to the kitchen getting all the sides ready and for DH to start his preperations for the fish!! See everyone in the morning!
I think I need to join a support group for folks who can't get into 24. I don't know why, but I can't make myself like it. What do you think is wrong with me, and could there be a drug for it?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Gooooooood Morning all!!!
First, I didn't know that game hens are what they served at dixie stampede.. I thought they were pretty good there all things considered. We got the 22-24 oz ones so I guess we'll see sometime this week.
I'm sorry to hear y'all are still in a deep freeze, I think our weather has moved there and we got yours. It's been in the high 30's to low 40's for the last week and it's supposed to continue, very strange indeed! I guess that explains all the MN plates and people that I've been runing into all over town lately.
SKBS, glad to hear the head is letting up a bit! My DW's thyroid test came back within a day, in fact I think it came back the same day.

Cyn, I've had cookies "go south" on me a few times, usually it's something to do with humidity combined with oven temp and lenth of time. I usually run a test batch of 4 cookies to see what they'll do. I know too much sugar will make 'em hard and dry and found that I was packing the brown sugar too much and I also rotate my cookies half way through cooking even though I have a convenction oven and I always set the time for the least amount and play with it from there. I've also learned the better you cream the butter and sugar the better they turn out. I turn my kitchenaid on high and let'er rip for about 3-4 minutes while I put together the dry stuff until it's all real light and airy.
Worse case you can crumble them up and mix that in with vanilla ice cream (maybe with some cinnamon tossed in as well) and refreeze it.

Tonight, well don't quite know yet. It'll have to be easy as Jack is on again YIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
BTW, if anyone is interested, went to see Gran Torino yesterday and not only was the theater packed full for the second day but the movie was very good imo... Just be careful how much you have to drink as it's very long...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think I need to join a support group for folks who can't get into 24. I don't know why, but I can't make myself like it. What do you think is wrong with me, and could there be a drug for it?
Hmmm, well I guess not every show is for everyone! Maybe it's partially the "hype" that gets me so excited or maybe the fact that there isn't much else to do! Ha! I am not a tv person at all and could actually do without it all together but if I'm going to watch it and my DH enjoys that time together then out of all the shows it's 24. American Idol, Worlds Biggest Loser and sometimes Bones and House. Other then that I watch a few game shows and Funniest Home videos. The rest ot the time, which is most of the time, I fall asleep because of lack of interest. Out of all the channels offered you'd sure think there would be more good shows. When they only had a few channels there seemed to be better shows!

Jimj, the cookies are ok but not my best. Thanks for giving me some ideas why they didn't turn out very good and the idea about using them on ice cream is a winner!!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
I don't know what I'll be having for dinner tonight... might end up clear broth! I spent half the night tossing and turning with a toothache!!!! Off to get this taken care of today with hopes the pain is at least put to a stop! Geesh! Updates later because I do like my dinner meal the most of any out of the day! lol

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Don't feel bad, hubby and I don't like it either. I think what got me was the first year it was on we were living in Los Angeles. There was no way the hero guy could have made it to all the places he went in the city in the times they said he did. Especially when they whole season was One Day. (That is the premise of the show right?) We just laughed when he went from the beach to wherever in 5 min. So not reality.

Dinner tonight is going to be cajun marinated chicken with side dishes undetermined at this time.

We had a feast yesterday, steaks, mashed potatos, green beans, biscuits, and ice cream for dessert. Yum. I think I need a larger size pair of pants today than I did yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.