Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
clam cake burgers and Fried potatoes.
Boy do I miss clams. Louisiana has alot of great seafood but clams aren't part of the mix. I remember the one that my Dad call, "little blackneck" clams. Steamed, clarified butter, yummy!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hey burdell, sorry, I almost missed your post. Gee, this forum sure moves fast. There's at least 5 screens since I posted my message yesterday!

Yes, just a regular, prepared tomatillo based salsa. I have made my own in the past with canned tomatillos (plus garlic, lime, onions, cilantro, etc. in the blender). We don't get fresh ones here in Oz, so I have to make do with what I can pick up, canned, from specialty stores.

I have a Le Creuset Dutch-oven so I use that for my slow-cooking. The pork took about 3 hours. I've been looking at buying a proper electric slow-cooker with a timer but haven't decided on one yet. But I do like the Dutch oven as I can brown stuff in it if I have to.

The pork was a cut of leg. I've also used bone-in shoulder which the recipe specifies but I can't always get it as easily as leg.

It's very simple: 3.5lb pork, 15oz bottle salsa, 1 finely chopped medium onion, 3 cups reduced salt chicken stock, 2tsp each cumin & coriander seeds, 1 tsp dried oregano, salt. Put it all in the pot, cook. Plus some chopped fresh cilantro for serving. I add a couple extra garlic cloves and juice of half a lime.

Thanks!

I've made my own salsa verde with fresh tomatillos, both for chips & cooking, I may still prefer fresh with chips but have found a jarred one that should work well for cooking and I do like the pork/salsa verde combo.

I like your additions, particularly the cumin & coriander seeds, will have to try that when we get a little deeper into cold "I need comfort food" season

Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hey burdell, sorry, I almost missed your post. Gee, this forum sure moves fast. There's at least 5 screens since I posted my message yesterday!

Yes, just a regular, prepared tomatillo based salsa. I have made my own in the past with canned tomatillos (plus garlic, lime, onions, cilantro, etc. in the blender). We don't get fresh ones here in Oz, so I have to make do with what I can pick up, canned, from specialty stores.

I have a Le Creuset Dutch-oven so I use that for my slow-cooking. The pork took about 3 hours. I've been looking at buying a proper electric slow-cooker with a timer but haven't decided on one yet. But I do like the Dutch oven as I can brown stuff in it if I have to.

The pork was a cut of leg. I've also used bone-in shoulder which the recipe specifies but I can't always get it as easily as leg.

It's very simple: 3.5lb pork, 15oz bottle salsa, 1 finely chopped medium onion, 3 cups reduced salt chicken stock, 2tsp each cumin & coriander seeds, 1 tsp dried oregano, salt. Put it all in the pot, cook. Plus some chopped fresh cilantro for serving. I add a couple extra garlic cloves and juice of half a lime.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to give it a try soon! Yes, this thread will keep you on your toes.....we are good talkers here!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 AM

A good morning to everyone!
The Dijon mustard, honey chicken turned out so good last night! Really juicy and flavorful. For the Dijon sauce I mixed mayo, Dijon mustard, a splash of lemmon and soy sauce, fresh rosemary and honey. I put a little season salt and pepper on my chicken and then I let my chicken marinate in the Dijon sauce for about an hour and then cooked it meat side down for 20 min covered and then turned it over and baked it for another 25 minutes without the cover at 350 in the oven. I basted it a few times with the sauce during the cooking. For the pierogies I fried them in some oo with onions and red and green bell peppers until a bit browned. I used chicken thighs with bones this time but I think next time I will use boneless. It's just easier to eat without the bones although I do believe the bones add flavor. Hubby doesn't care for the bones! It was an easy, good meal!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Morning and Cyn that sounds so good and who said you weren't adventuresome!!!

Stuffed cabbage tonite-will make it early and fumigate as we have a 2nd showing from 3-4.

It's beyond blustery here and snow today. Was thinking with my luck I'll be moving in a blizzard!! LOL

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Nicole... We have a Red Robin- but I have never been.... but your dinner last night makes me want to give it a shot... sounds very YUMMY....

Crazy... Nothing makes cheating more fun than some Johnsonville Brats- especially in the fall... something about fall and sausage in my book... wish I could eat them more often- but the head would not be happy (aleady paying the price since I dipped into the kids loot yesterday and found enough chocolate to last me a month....don't let them know )

Vichel... If you miss a few hours on here you will be scrolling for quite a while!!! LOL Conversation can move quite fast! You dinner sounded very good!!!!

Nikkzone.... all I can say is... Have any more????

Highlands... Nothing like a little sleep to make you feel better (hubby's famous words- and I never take 'em) glad you are doing better

Namadicus... enjoy your cake fest!!!! LOL... hope you get your week's worth out of it....

Well... I didn't get to the Farmers Market yesterday with the trick or treating at the mall, heading out to lunch, the movies... and my fridge is looking kind of bare uh oh... and my kids are mad there is only cereal... in fact the oldest in in T.O. right now for asking how dare I only have cereal for breakfast and rolling around on the floor like a top... CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??!!!???! YUP that one is my diva....So, we had more Halloween activities lined up... but SKBS might just be going grocery shopping... have some decisions to make.... I have enough to pull a soup together in the crock pot... we shall see....

Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 AM

skbs...I love your descriptions of your little ones. Oh how I remember those days! It makes me smile!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Cyn....LOL My mother says she loves my children dearly, thinks they are PERFECT... but is glad it is ME doing the dealing with the DRAMA and that she has grown children to go on wine tastings with and GRANDchildren to do CHOCOLATE tastings with and SEND HOME.... LOL....

Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
SKBS you have a very wise Mom!!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 AM

And I feel the same way as your mom! Being a grandparent is the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink