Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Noma was thinking of you as I was eating a piece of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and strawberries!
I only get one chocolate cake a month. But when I do I make the best of it. It usually lasts for seven days along with a gallon of ice cream. Then it's kind of on the wagon for the next three weeks. I do get chocolate pudding more often as that is one of my sources of calcium. That's the only way to get milk in me other than cooking. I'll be bad tomorrow with all the temptations of pies and cakes and fried chicken, and ham, and, and, and who knows what all else will be on the table for me to sample. A little of this and that and the first thing you know I've got a 2500 cal plate in front of me. That at least will last the day tomorrow. Two weeks to work it off before we do it again only worse...

Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 PM

513 posts, read 897,440 times
clam cake burgers and Fried potatoes.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
Nomad you have one heck of a good plan there.........LOL

Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Nomad you have one heck of a good plan there.........LOL
And a big appetite!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
Thanks so much for all of the get well wishes. I feel much better after 11 hours of sleep last night, but still not up for "real" cooking.

We are having frozen baked cod fillets with homemade tarter sauce and a pasta roni - shells and white cheddar with some frozen peas and lots of black pepper added.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just a regular prepared, tomatillo based salsa? Crockpot? Any particular cut of pork? IMWTK
Hey burdell, sorry, I almost missed your post. Gee, this forum sure moves fast. There's at least 5 screens since I posted my message yesterday!

Yes, just a regular, prepared tomatillo based salsa. I have made my own in the past with canned tomatillos (plus garlic, lime, onions, cilantro, etc. in the blender). We don't get fresh ones here in Oz, so I have to make do with what I can pick up, canned, from specialty stores.

I have a Le Creuset Dutch-oven so I use that for my slow-cooking. The pork took about 3 hours. I've been looking at buying a proper electric slow-cooker with a timer but haven't decided on one yet. But I do like the Dutch oven as I can brown stuff in it if I have to.

The pork was a cut of leg. I've also used bone-in shoulder which the recipe specifies but I can't always get it as easily as leg.

It's very simple: 3.5lb pork, 15oz bottle salsa, 1 finely chopped medium onion, 3 cups reduced salt chicken stock, 2tsp each cumin & coriander seeds, 1 tsp dried oregano, salt. Put it all in the pot, cook. Plus some chopped fresh cilantro for serving. I add a couple extra garlic cloves and juice of half a lime.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,756 times
Japanese style stuffed peppers with sweet and sour graze, asparagus in oyster sauce, steamed rice, cucumber salad. Now I have a happy tummy!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

I have a Le Creuset Dutch-oven so I use that for my slow-cooking. The pork took about 3 hours. I've been looking at buying a proper electric slow-cooker with a timer but haven't decided on one yet. But I do like the Dutch oven as I can brown stuff in it if I have to.
You should consider buying a pressure cooker, either stove top or electric. You can brown meat/veggies in it and cook it super fast and tender. I don't use my crock pot too much because if I'm not there to watch it toward the end of the cooking, it can over cook food or scorch around the edge. I love my pressure cooker for any kind of traditionally slow cooking meat, soups, stew, sauces and beans.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I cheated soooooooooooooooo bad tonight. But it was awesome.

We made subs with Johnsonville Brats, red pepper onion and mushrooms topped off with Provolone. Of course I used reduced fat cheese.........LOL
Oh, that sounds so good! I have a big bag of Jonsonville Brats in my freezer and just picked up some red peppers (3 for $1.00, yea!). That will be our lunch mañana after church!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times
we went out to Red Robin. I had the california chicken sandwich with guacamole, tomato, lettuce, bacon, mayo & cheese. (Never said it was healthy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink