Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You keep raw meat on the top shelf?!
I wondered about that too. Most fridges have a meat drawer and produce drawers which I am very careful to use. We have a long meat drawer which I separated into meal on one side and cheese on the other but most meats are lunch meats, sealed sausages, bacon. I usually have meat in freezer and may put it in meat drawer to thaw before I need it.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I wondered about that too. Most fridges have a meat drawer and produce drawers which I am very careful to use. We have a long meat drawer which I separated into meal on one side and cheese on the other but most meats are lunch meats, sealed sausages, bacon. I usually have meat in freezer and may put it in meat drawer to thaw before I need it.
I've done so many food hygiene courses for various jobs that the thought of someone putting raw meat on the top shelf really makes me cringe! I always keep it on the bottom shelf or one of the veggie drawers (if there's no veggies in it, of course)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM

37 posts, read 49,074 times
Default Leftovers

My family isn't too hot on leftovers, and usually there isn't a huge portion left over anyhow. But to economize and save time, I will normally take the leftovers to work for my lunch. If it's not enough food, I'll buy a side salad or bring a piece of fruit or two to round it out.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I just do not get wasting food.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
We are trying to improve. My husband and I were the same way about leftovers and didnt like eating anything more than two days in a row, so we cooked very small batches of everything. This in turn made a lot of work and resulted in meals that never got cooked or ingredients that went bad - not to mention eating out a lot.

We've since started making large batches of things we like, such as lasagna for dinner parties. What we don't use or send home with guests gets divided into single servings and thrown into the freezer. It's great and doesn't feel like leftovers. Now when I go shopping, I try to buy only enough for 4-5 days and use what's in the freezer or pantry for everything else. Some weeks I still go overboard but it's getting better on the wallet and gives us a break from preparing dinner in the middle of the week.

Hopefully we'll get even better - I hate wasting good food and feel guilty when we do.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I just do not get wasting food.
What is there to get? I buy food, it is mine, I do what I want with it. No one else gets a say.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM

164 posts, read 195,894 times
I guess other than the pain to the wallet, I don't care too much about food waste. We've enough food at this point to feed the world twice over (it's politics that's getting in the way). I have couple of fruit trees in my backyard with more fruits than I could eat. it doesn't brother me if I don't get to all of them or if the squirrels and birds eat all of them. I have a lot of food freebies come my way, do I care if they go to waste? It might be better if I actually let it go to waste than to put in my body for the health consequences that come with it considering that they're usually highly processed food.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have a food saver also....it consists of ziplock bags and a straw.
I used that same exact method!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
It confuses and frustrates me to read comments like those from Wadejay and EggWaffle. Do they not consider themselves members of a community--of the world. If we all had such selfish attitudes about waste- either food or energy- no progress would be made to better the lives of everyone.

For example more money could be given to charities or education if we donated money we saved by cutting down on waste. But being able to help feed others simply by giving food to food banks is significant.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You keep raw meat on the top shelf?!
The poster said they purchased stackable boxes for the fridge. So the meat is in a container on the top shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink