Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Second, buy products that has minimal packaging.

Funny how I've found the opposite. When I buy fresh foods I tend to waste a lot more. When I buy packaged food like ready meals that comes in a certain serving size, I eat the whole thing and there is no waste.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Even in a sealed container raw meat is supposed to be stored on the bottom shelf, never the top shelf.
Are the fridge police coming to check? I am pretty old and never in my life heard that there was a law about where to put what in the fridge. Back in the day of the ice box, it was important to put raw meat and highly perishable items closest to the ice. But those days are gone and I have had meat stored on whatever shelf happened to have the most room at the time in my temperature-controlled electric refrigerator. Wrap it well, put the package in a bowl and there's no worry about "drippage".

As far as not wasting food, just have five boys. Those guys were like locusts!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im with tab on this, i overcook alot just to have left-overs....

some folks are fickle,,maybe its the word "left-overs" has a used/2nd time around connotation, maybe we should call it "surplus", "planned ahead food/meals

certain words strike people differently, maybe some folks were so poor growing up they had "left-overs" most of the time, and thats all they had- i know some folks that wont eat some pasta today, because thats what they had when they were poor kids..
Since there were five sons in my house, we didn't have a lot of left-overs. When we did, I called it "Instant Replay".

Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The meat drawer in my fridge is in the middle. Why bottom?

Maybe she wants it at eye level so she can spot it easily and it won't get forgotten and go to waste?
It makes the possibility of cross contamination essentially zero. I wouldn't eat at someone's house if they stored their meat anywhere than the bottom, not really because of the possibility of cross contamination because its a low chance, but because I figure if they can't follow that simple hygiene rule then do they really care about hygiene at all?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
It makes the possibility of cross contamination essentially zero. I wouldn't eat at someone's house if they stored their meat anywhere than the bottom, not really because of the possibility of cross contamination because its a low chance, but because I figure if they can't follow that simple hygiene rule then do they really care about hygiene at all?
So you really grade their fridge before you will be their friend? Yes, food safety practices can be important...but some things are just a bit OCD. (For the record, I normally put meat near the bottom because that part of fridge is colder - but no on slits their wrist if it is a shelf up - and no one has ever gotten sick eating at my home.)

Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I think that -- for those who are worried -- the takeaway word from Clemencia53's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53
The meat drawer in my fridge is in the middle.
is... drawer. The meat is in a drawer and isn't dripping on anything below it. We're all safe to eat at Clemencia's house! YAY!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...I wouldn't eat at someone's house if they stored their meat anywhere than the bottom, not really because of the possibility of cross contamination because its a low chance, but because I figure if they can't follow that simple hygiene rule then do they really care about hygiene at all?
Oh my gosh, did I actually read this!!!! I store meat on the middle shelf, so it's quite obvious that I rarely bathe, I don't wash my hands after using the bathroom, and I cut raw meat and veggies on the same cutting board.

You do know there are ways to avoid cross-contamination besides putting meat on the bottom shelf?????

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 04-11-2014 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Shortened

Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I think that -- for those who are worried -- the takeaway word from Clemencia53's post

is... drawer. The meat is in a drawer and isn't dripping on anything below it. We're all safe to eat at Clemencia's house! YAY!
That poster also said she put it in a "container". Sometimes I'll put steaks in a bowl in the fridge (covered with saran wrap) to defrost.

And aren't most modern fridges equipped with spill proof shelves now? Mine are and boy can they hold a big spill! LOL

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I didn't waste a thing tonight, I decided to take leftover fried chicken cutlets and add them to a Caesar salad I made. That's our dinner.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I waste nothing, but then again I'm one of these people who buys packaged food and it comes in a normal serving size that I can easily eat all of. So there is no problem of cooking more than enough and letting it lie around and go off and having to throw it away.
Same here. I live alone so I am careful to not make more than I'll eat in two or three days. The other day I realized that I used to buy 10# of potatoes, then went to 5#, then to the packages of instant and NOW I am getting the single serving instants. Less waste, for sure. My mom gave me a bunch of potatoes the other day and I boiled all of them. I'll use some for potato salad, some for hashbrowns, some for a ham casserole and who knows what all? At least they are cooked so they'll be okay in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink