Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I had no idea that so many people would not eat leftovers. I'm kind of shocked. We purposely go out to eat a lot because the large portions will often serve as two more meals of leftovers, making eating out very cheap on a per person per meal basis.
I'm surprised too. I cook once a week, for the week, so if I wouldn't eat leftovers I'd be in big trouble. I call them 'planned overs' since I 'plan ahead'. lol I usually cook two entrees so I don't have to eat the same thing every day.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Yep, just buy what you need. If you have extras put them in the freezer. Think about all the people who are dying because they don't have anything to eat! Would you like to be in their shoes?
When I was a kid my mom didn't have any trouble getting me to eat just about anything. If I didn't want to eat something she'd tell me about the "Starving kids in ____________". One time I told her to go ahead and send it. Did I get in trouble?? What do you think??? lol I think I was nine at the time.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
My bunch doesn't much like leftovers, although hubby is better about it than the kids. So I do throw away a lot of food, and I hate it. I'm trying to find the sweet spot on all my recipes....how much to actually cook so that it will all get eaten.
If my kids wouldn't eat leftovers then sometimes they wouldn't get dinner.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
When I was a kid my mom didn't have any trouble getting me to eat just about anything. If I didn't want to eat something she'd tell me about the "Starving kids in ____________". One time I told her to go ahead and send it. Did I get in trouble?? What do you think??? lol I think I was nine at the time.
i use to hear that line too, and then tell her no wonder they are starving if they get served the same thing

that didnt go over well, either

Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So you really grade their fridge before you will be their friend? Yes, food safety practices can be important...but some things are just a bit OCD. (For the record, I normally put meat near the bottom because that part of fridge is colder - but no on slits their wrist if it is a shelf up - and no one has ever gotten sick eating at my home.)
I'd still be friends, I just wouldn't eat there. I do admit though I am a bit too particular about food hygiene, constantly washing my hands while cooking etc.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh my gosh, did I actually read this!!!! I store meat on the middle shelf, so it's quite obvious that I rarely bathe, I don't wash my hands after using the bathroom, and I cut raw meat and veggies on the same cutting board.

You do know there are ways to avoid cross-contamination besides putting meat on the bottom shelf?????

Yes obviously I meant exactly that...

I'd prefer anyone preparing food for me to follow all the steps necessary to prevent cross contamination, not just some of them. If a restaurant didn't store raw meat on the bottom shelf they'd get in a lot of trouble from the inspectors.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I've done so many food hygiene courses for various jobs that the thought of someone putting raw meat on the top shelf really makes me cringe! I always keep it on the bottom shelf or one of the veggie drawers (if there's no veggies in it, of course)
My grocery store always put any meat products in separate bags so I keep it in those bags in the frig until I get it separated out and into freezer bags. So there is no dripping/contamination in my frig. I do freeze
it at the latest the next day.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
I read that we throw out 40% of the food here in the USA. I do not waste any food. I freeze it if I'm not sure I will eat
it right away. Any small scraps go outside for the stray animals. I shop 2 to 3 times a week so I always have fresh fruit, just enough that I will eat. Wasting food is the same as throwing your money away.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I read that we throw out 40% of the food here in the USA. I do not waste any food. I freeze it if I'm not sure I will eat
it right away. Any small scraps go outside for the stray animals. I shop 2 to 3 times a week so I always have fresh fruit, just enough that I will eat. Wasting food is the same as throwing your money away.
good post!!

i think more and more folks shop 2-3 times a week, and this does cut down on waste
rather than once a week,
its good you throw the scraps to feed animals, i do the same

i use some of my food excess to attract deer to fill my freezer..

so i turn my potential waste into even more food.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Same here. I live alone so I am careful to not make more than I'll eat in two or three days. The other day I realized that I used to buy 10# of potatoes, then went to 5#, then to the packages of instant and NOW I am getting the single serving instants. Less waste, for sure. My mom gave me a bunch of potatoes the other day and I boiled all of them. I'll use some for potato salad, some for hashbrowns, some for a ham casserole and who knows what all? At least they are cooked so they'll be okay in the fridge.
Do share that casserole recipe, I just bought a ham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i use to hear that line too, and then tell her no wonder they are starving if they get served the same thing

that didnt go over well, either
LMAO MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
40% is unfathomable, where is that from? Beverly Hills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink